Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V10 TDI. A coworker has a lifted 2019 Wrangler Unlimited and has challenged me to a tug of war. There’s a pretty large office bet going on in favor of the Touareg. I’m confident in the Touareg as I know what it’s capable of. I’ve seen the YouTube video of it dragging a wrangler down the road. My only concern is that I don’t have any rear axle lockers and also don’t want to damage anything on the Touareg by using the factory hitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have enough traction with your tires you should be the winner. Maybe it helps it to reduce a bit of tire pressure, if your tires are not sticky enough.

There are videos of sedan Audis vs. Jeep , and Audi pulls the jeep. Compared to Audis, you have a 750nm torque engine + low range gear + low range first gear in your trany + center diff. This setting is enough to pull a heavy truck uphills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right, that's a little to his advantage but still Touareg has electronic locking diff (ELD) on both front and rear axles which to some extent compensates the lack of real lockers.

Touareg (03-09) are designed to send up to 100% of the power to one wheel. Touareg will loose if it does not have enough traction on all four wheels or the opponent has a stronger setting.

There is a new video from Russia, a tug of war between a v6 Touareg and a new G-Wagon with front+center+rear lockers on, and guess what, Touareg pulls it :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The smartest thing the Wrangler can do is lock the axles, everything in Low, and shut off the engine. Also be careful how the strap is connected- ideally you want it higher on your vehicle and lower on his, which pulls you down for greater traction and lifts him to reduce traction.
If he does start pulling and spinning his wheels, feed a little more power and drive away with him.

tl,dr: You've got this.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
717 Posts
No need to worry. You most likely have 2000 lb weight advantage over the Jeep along with all the low rpm torque.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On paper, you have a huge torque and weight (500KG+) advantage, so it's an easy win. V10 tdi can pull a 747, so pulling a Jeep should be easy. Just put it on 4L and don't mess up the start.

Also, it depends on if you do it on asphalt/concrete or on grass/dirt. Only time Jeep might win if you do it on grass and jeep has better off road.

Take all the safety precautions and don't forget to film it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Too many unknowns and variables........
The Jeep is lifted.... it would imply larger and wider tires typically.... potentially more contact patch.... at the same time, we could also jump to the conclusion that these will be mudders which will diminish traction on pavement VS what I'm assuming to be proper road tires on the TDI.
Again, based on the above assumption, we do not know but should probably assume that the Jeep also has upgraded gearing (to address the final drive ratio that would result from larger wheel\tire combo). Given that the Jeep also has a LO transfer case, a locker, and potentially more contact patch, the TDI may only have mass to its advantage......

Too much keyboard racing in this topic..... go get it done and see what happens. The details provided are too vague for all the assumptions everyone is making.

·
Registered
421 Posts
waiting!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Taking bets now!!

20 to 1 on the Treg. Who wants to flip with 100 dollars into 2000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope you understand Google will index this thread for future searches... It will be added to the ever popular video-compilations of V10's tug-o-wars'..

So, what I'm saying is... This better happen... :grin2: And you better win! >:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
24 Participants
yrktreg
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing