Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 V10 TDI Touareg

I am sincerely hoping my problem I am currently experiencing does not warrant engine removal for what would be the fourth time in my Touaregs history..... $$$$

DPF warning had come on approx 4 times in the last 6 weeks. Although the recent frequency it was occurring lately did have me somewhat concerned, a 20min non stop drive cleared the warning and off we went again.

However .... Warning comes on again approx 3ks town driving from home, I proceed home as perishables on board.. Park up, switch off engine..
Later I start the car with intentions of driving the usual drive to enable the regen process. This involves about 12km of town driving until I can reach the stretch of road that allows the drive required for the regen process. I made two stops on the way where i had to turn the vehicle off and restart.

About 2 ks from the open road while stopped at traffic lights, engine and exhaust warning come on as well as flashing glow plug light..
Attempt regen drive to no avail.
Put generic scan tool on car, able to clear engine picture fault light but not the others, & then engine picture fault light returns...

I reside in a regional area, about 2hrs from Melbourne, my local VW service centre have me feeling (from past dealings) not very confident with their abilities to work on V10's.
Previously I have had to truck my Treg to Melbourne for repairs.

I know they are going to insist on engine removal and I am wondering if that is really necessary..
DPFs were replaced approx 60000ks ago, adblue approx 30000ks ago...

Any advice anyone???

I am hoping a DIY repair or the like, as all my dealings with the "professionals" have been negative experiences...
Previously sent the car 150ks ( so now approx 350ks from Melbourne) to another VW regional service centre, after speaking with them on the phone to ensure they were equipped and able to deal with V10's for manifold gasket repair.
They later contact me after having my car in their possession for 11days to advise they didn't have the tools required to enable repairs and I would have to transport it to Melbourne.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
2006 V10 TDI Touareg

I am sincerely hoping my problem I am currently experiencing does not warrant engine removal for what would be the fourth time in my Touaregs history..... $$$$

DPF warning had come on approx 4 times in the last 6 weeks. Although the recent frequency it was occurring lately did have me somewhat concerned, a 20min non stop drive cleared the warning and off we went again.

However .... Warning comes on again approx 3ks town driving from home, I proceed home as perishables on board.. Park up, switch off engine..
Later I start the car with intentions of driving the usual drive to enable the regen process. This involves about 12km of town driving until I can reach the stretch of road that allows the drive required for the regen process. I made two stops on the way where i had to turn the vehicle off and restart.

About 2 ks from the open road while stopped at traffic lights, engine and exhaust warning come on as well as flashing glow plug light..
Attempt regen drive to no avail.
Put generic scan tool on car, able to clear engine picture fault light but not the others, & then engine picture fault light returns...

I reside in a regional area, about 2hrs from Melbourne, my local VW service centre have me feeling (from past dealings) not very confident with their abilities to work on V10's.
Previously I have had to truck my Treg to Melbourne for repairs.

I know they are going to insist on engine removal and I am wondering if that is really necessary..
DPFs were replaced approx 60000ks ago, adblue approx 30000ks ago...

Any advice anyone???

I am hoping a DIY repair or the like, as all my dealings with the "professionals" have been negative experiences...
Previously sent the car 150ks ( so now approx 350ks from Melbourne) to another VW regional service centre, after speaking with them on the phone to ensure they were equipped and able to deal with V10's for manifold gasket repair.
They later contact me after having my car in their possession for 11days to advise they didn't have the tools required to enable repairs and I would have to transport it to Melbourne.
Ok just to start

• A 2006 V10 should not have DPF's normally but yours may be the very very last of the run of T1 before the Australian delivered T2 BLE engine?
  • Can you post a picture of the engine bay so I can see what engine you have ?
  • The BLE engine does not have a regen cycle for the DPF filters that was reserved for the BKW engine (unless yours is an import?)
  • The BLE engine does run an additive (Eoly's Fluid, Pat Fluid) in a separate tank that is mixed with the fuel for DPF treatment and it is not Adblue and if that has been added to your tank have it removed and hope no damage has been done.
  • Presuming it does have DPF filters can you post as scan of the engine faults?
  • The removal of DPF filters does not require engine removal and is a straight forward task that should take no longer than 60 min on a hoist.
  • If they were replaced 60,000kms ago and are now blocked enough to activate a warning you have only got an extremely short service life from them.
  • Presuming they are blocked have them professionally cleaned then refitted ($750 ea cleaned, $3000 ea new + core from VW)
  • After cleaning if you still have the fault you may need to do some adapting of the readings.
  • What are the symptoms with the exhaust manifolds that need addressing ? (The manifolds crack regularly do you have exhaust gas leaking issues?)
  • Last of all get some one to post a VCDS scan (if you are in Melbourne I may be able to suggest some one who can help if they are willing and you are close or I will be in Melbourne with my VCDS over Easter.
regards
Drag

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your comments!

Ok so now Im really confused... I will have to chase up some details tomorrow... I know my engine number begins with BLE and my Treg is the 06 pre facelift model if that means anything...
As for the AdBlue, maybe I was told its similar to AdBlue... I have all the receipts which details all work completed so will retrieve them tomorrow.

The manifold issue has been repaired, that was an example I was using of the type of service I get in my area. 3 VW service centres had the vehicle before realising it was beyond their capabilities to repair, when finally I had it repaired at Fast Stuff in Mordialloc, who I found very helpful by the way.. However the symptoms were an air escape noise when accelerated over 20km p/h and loss of power.
It was while the engine was out for this repair that the adblue or similar was done, as well as transmission loom ( not sure if this is the correct term, im going from memory with absolutely no mechanical knowledge) and both turbos were rebuilt also.

I am about 2 hours from Melbourne in Gippsland, Im trying to avoid having to Truck my car to a Melbourne repairer and have it repaired DIY by someone mechanically minded if its a straight forward repair.. with instructions/details..

I will follow up the other info and get back to you, thanks again!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Geez, you've been put through the wringer so far haven't you? As Drag mentioned you don't have Adblue but some service and parts departments call both Adblue and DPF flui Adblue in spite of the massive difference in function, location of fill point and cost. Adblue is cheap at about $15 / litre while DPF fluid is currently being charged at about $170 / litre and 4 litres+ are required which should last 70 - 90,000 km. I think you'd notice it on the bill. Mind you with all the other stuff that was done it would almost be an incidental.
John
p.s. was it DPF warning or an Engine Fault since fluid level issues bring up 'engine fault- workshop' warning

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
AS ABOVE:

Eolys / PAT fluid is most definitely NOT ad-blu.

THEY ARE TOTALLY AND UTTERLY DIFFERENT FLUIDS.

They are not similar, nor are they interchangeable, and they should not be referred to in the same breath!

If you have an eolys tank and some dickhead has put ad-blu in it, then you need to get it out NOW and hope they haven't buggered up the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez, you've been put through the wringer so far haven't you? As Drag mentioned you don't have Adblue but some service and parts departments call both Adblue and DPF flui Adblue in spite of the massive difference in function, location of fill point and cost. Adblue is cheap at about $15 / litre while DPF fluid is currently being charged at about $170 / litre and 4 litres+ are required which should last 70 - 90,000 km. I think you'd notice it on the bill. Mind you with all the other stuff that was done it would almost be an incidental. John p.s. was it DPF warning or an Engine Fault since fluid level issues bring up 'engine fault- workshop' warning
Thanks, I know. Anytime i get some sort of warning I instantly panic, then sometimes its like "oh its just the low fuel bell" Haha...

$170 a litre by 4 sounds familiar actually... Total bill was over $11000 though and included lots of incidentals like aircon re-gas ect.. So i will have to double check...

The original warning was "diesel particular filtre ref veh wallet" then I got "engine fault" as well as "exhaust fault workshop".

Still chasing up the other info and will post a pic of the scan result..

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I can assist with VCDS if you are unable to catch up with Drag. However I am away till Easter, and live over the other side of the city near the airport.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can assist with VCDS if you are unable to catch up with Drag. However I am away till Easter, and live over the other side of the city near the airport.
Thank you, much appreciated.
By the sounds of it VCDS would be a wise investment and worth considering purchasing... There appears to be a few different options though, but I have only had a very quick look... Any recommendations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok just to start [*]A 2006 V10 should not have DPF's normally but yours may be the very very last of the run of T1 before the Australian delivered T2 BLE engine? [*]Can you post a picture of the engine bay so I can see what engine you have ? [*]The BLE engine does not have a regen cycle for the DPF filters that was reserved for the BKW engine (unless yours is an import?) [*]The BLE engine does run an additive (Eoly's Fluid, Pat Fluid) in a separate tank that is mixed with the fuel for DPF treatment and it is not Adblue and if that has been added to your tank have it removed and hope no damage has been done. [*]Presuming it does have DPF filters can you post as scan of the engine faults? [*]The removal of DPF filters does not require engine removal and is a straight forward task that should take no longer than 60 min on a hoist. [*]If they were replaced 60,000kms ago and are now blocked enough to activate a warning you have only got an extremely short service life from them. [*]Presuming they are blocked have them professionally cleaned then refitted ($750 ea cleaned, $3000 ea new + core from VW) [*]After cleaning if you still have the fault you may need to do some adapting of the readings. [*]What are the symptoms with the exhaust manifolds that need addressing ? (The manifolds crack regularly do you have exhaust gas leaking issues?) [*]Last of all get some one to post a VCDS scan (if you are in Melbourne I may be able to suggest some one who can help if they are willing and you are close or I will be in Melbourne with my VCDS over Easter. regards Drag
Here are a couple of pics....

image-3900826927.jpg

image-2320803624.jpg

image-2703607557.jpg

Last pic of scan - code P2003 which means the "Diesel Particulate filter trap in bank 2" ???

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So according to the generic reader only 1 DPF has a problem. You really need to get an ash loading reading on both DPF's to see what is going on. This may seem a dumb question but are you sure they replaced both DPFs and to confirm if they used genuine replacements that bill alone would have been over $8,000!!!!!!!!!! Maybe they only had them cleaned or used 2nd hand ones? Just checking the simple options first.
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. Yep both were done as well as exhaust sensors??? Ill attatch invoice details, but the app is only letting me upload one at a time.. They were replaced 40000kms ago but was at the end of 2011... This vehicle has had in excess of $20000 spent on repairs. The last two pics are the manifold/turbo repair details, I am certain he mentioned the adblue however it is not mentioned on this invoice but it is on the previous repair invoice... image-2367393422.jpg

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Bloody hell, they had the hide to charge you for the purchase of the filling and draining equipment as well as the labour to do it. Bloody cheek!!!!!!!!! That is part of their own equipment inventory for any VW dealership. At least they got the DPF fluid part number right even though they were stupid enough to name it Adblue. Why only 2 litres?
They drain the tank as there is a use by date on the additive so it's best to only use fresh stuff rather than mix it but the tank holds 4.5l at a pinch so 4l would be the minimum refill unless you specifically told them to only add 2 litres with the idea of adding a few more when you could afford it after being gouged by the dealer.
How many km has the beast done in total?
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah its typical, another reason to add to the list of why I have little faith in VW service centres..
Ive had one VW centre in Melbourne tell me (when I did the manifold gasket) that I had two cracked manifolds, and both turbos needed replacing at a cost of $19500 for total repairs, (engine hadn't been removed at this point) BUT they would give me $9k trade in (this was in 2013) on a new vehicle if I wanted to trade it before repairs... Ha!

When I then took it from there to "Fast Stuff" and the engine was actually removed the manifolds were fine, Only needed a gasket, also the turbos were fine too but he recommended as the engine was out anyway I might as well have them rebuilt as had done 135000ks & they were a known issue around those km's..
Total km's to date 160000... I dont have any mechanical knowledge to be in a position to request anything, I would generally let them tell me what was needed and then authorise for them to go ahead... Im getting wiser now though, still no mechanical knowledge but I try to research as much as I can so I can at least go in armed with some info and they are maybe a bit less inclined to "jib" me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
$137.00 for a fuel filter..
Hope it had gold plating to stop corrosion.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Bloody hell, they had the hide to charge you for the purchase of the filling and draining equipment as well as the labour to do it. Bloody cheek!!!!!!!!! That is part of their own equipment inventory for any VW dealership. At least they got the DPF fluid part number right even though they were stupid enough to name it Adblue. Why only 2 litres?
They drain the tank as there is a use by date on the additive so it's best to only use fresh stuff rather than mix it but the tank holds 4.5l at a pinch so 4l would be the minimum refill unless you specifically told them to only add 2 litres with the idea of adding a few more when you could afford it after being gouged by the dealer.
How many km has the beast done in total?
John[/QUOTE

Hey John yes I missed that $350 to I presume remove the old fluid and put in 2 litres of new fluid. Wow all for 10 mins work and a $25 pump?

$137.00 for a fuel filter..
Hope it had gold plating to stop corrosion.
Unfortunately that is the going price from VW for a V10 fuel filter. But for under $70 one can be had from the UK.
As for the Turbo rebuilds the invoice people seem to have a big mark-up on repairs. Rebuild cost is around $750 ea allowing even 30% mark-up that is still under $1000 and well under the $1350 they invoiced you.

Hope you can get some info on here next time you need some work done.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately that is the going price from VW for a V10 fuel filter. But for under $70 one can be had from the UK. As for the Turbo rebuilds the invoice people seem to have a big mark-up on repairs. Rebuild cost is around $750 ea allowing even 30% mark-up that is still under $1000 and well under the $1350 they invoiced you. Hope you can get some info on here next time you need some work done. regards Drag
Thanks Drag - booked in tomorrow for diagnosis and ash filter reading. I'll report back here on their findings...
Ive been on Ross-techs website to purchase a VCDS - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated too.. Im unsure of which option to go with...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts