Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased my first Touareg, a 2004 v10 TDI, It's awsome:D, but I've just driven 1200kms down to Brisbane at night and found that the colder it got outside,the colder the engine was running.
In the evening when we left it was running at about 80, but when the temp outside got to 7 the engine was running at 50 or less. I stopped and lifted the bonnet and comfirmed that the engine was running very cool.
Is it easy to remove the thermostat housing and see if it is stuck open?
is there anything I should be careful of? ie, air locks in the system when i refit it?
Also, being 7 years old and 150,000 kms, is there anything else that I should look out for or replace?
Thanks

· Registered
2,796 Posts
I have just purchased my first Touareg, a 2004 v10 TDI, It's awsome:D, but I've just driven 1200kms down to Brisbane at night and found that the colder it got outside,the colder the engine was running.
In the evening when we left it was running at about 80, but when the temp outside got to 7 the engine was running at 50 or less. I stopped and lifted the bonnet and comfirmed that the engine was running very cool.
Is it easy to remove the thermostat housing and see if it is stuck open?
is there anything I should be careful of? ie, air locks in the system when i refit it?
Also, being 7 years old and 150,000 kms, is there anything else that I should look out for or replace?
Thanks
Hi brian
Welcome to you and your V10
Did you know if the previous owner was a member of Club Touareg?
Any way the temperature question.
My runs at 90deg no matter what so i would think that yours running cooler with the outside temp is not right.
Removing the thermostat housing should not be to big of and issue.
But in the V10 the themostat is part if the housing and fairly expensive ($250 + shipping from USA) and more than likely twice the price from our dealers.
Not sure about bleed points.
Other things
Change all your oils to be sure, has yours got the updated engine oil dipstick?

regards
Dragline

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dragline
I haven't spoken to the previous owner, and I don't know about the dipstick. There is a recall sticker inside the door, is that for the dipstick?
What does the updated dipstick look like?
It's been serviced by VW dealers all its life and had a service about 2000 k's ago, but I changed the engine oil anyway. I'll pull the housing off when I get home next week and see what I find.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks dragline
I haven't spoken to the previous owner, and I don't know about the dipstick. There is a recall sticker inside the door, is that for the dipstick?
What does the updated dipstick look like?
It's been serviced by VW dealers all its life and had a service about 2000 k's ago, but I changed the engine oil anyway. I'll pull the housing off when I get home next week and see what I find.
\

Brian
New dipstick is the top one in this photo
If yours is like the bottom one get a new one ( about $35)
Part number is on the 2nd photo
When i got mine i did ALL the fluids except the auto trans.
Which iam going to do in the next month.
What oil did you use when you changed as using the right oil is extremely important to the V10s.
By the way where are you located

regards
Dragline

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again dragline, you sound like you work at a coal mine, as I do, I live in Mackay. Mine does have the updated dipstick.
I used FUCHS ???? pro c3 5w30. The supplier rang their head office and confirmed that was what i needed...not cheap...$177.00 for 12 litres.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks again dragline, you sound like you work at a coal mine, as I do, I live in Mackay. Mine does have the updated dipstick.
I used FUCHS ???? pro c3 5w30. The supplier rang their head office and confirmed that was what i needed...not cheap...$177.00 for 12 litres.
Hi Brian
Nice to see you have the later dipstick as i and many others have had to remove broken pieces from the bottom of the dipstick tube.
In your interest check with your VW dealer about the oil and grade to use as my research found you should use fully synthetic oil 0W-30 grade VW spec # 506.01 (although i use 0W-40 enviro penrite $55 per 5L)
The oil your supplier suggested i think is not synthetic or have the VW spec number rating.
Check this page from Penrite
I checked with my VW dealer and from my VIN he confirmed it should be 506.01 oil in 0W-30
If you changed your oil i guess you are going to do your own servicing ?
I can suggest some non genuine service parts suppliers and fluids if required.

TITAN
SUPERSYN
Longlife plus
SAE 0W-30• State-of-the-art product incorporating long life technology and fully synthetic base oils.
• Especially designed for the latest generation of VW & Audi diesel and petrol engines
• Extended oil drain intervals.
• Includes diesel engines with pump injector technology requiring a VW 506 01 lubricant

Approvals

</B>
VW 503 00/506 01

FUCHS Recommendations

</B>
ACEA A5/B5​

BMW LONGLIFE 01-FE

Yes i work in the mining industry down here and i was up at Mackay 3 weeks ago working at south walker creek for my company helping out
What about you?

Regards
Dragline

Attachments

· Registered
502 Posts
Coming back to the original question - It is nearly as bad for an engine to run to cool as it is to run to hot!

Fix it or have it fixed! To re-build a V10 due to the thermostat being duff will be a shame!

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Coming back to the original question - It is nearly as bad for an engine to run to cool as it is to run to hot!

Fix it or have it fixed! To re-build a V10 due to the thermostat being duff will be a shame!

Yes
repair should be as soon as practical with minimal driving.
I would think this time of year in Mackay its starting to get hot and that will test how cool a failed thermostat can keep a V10.
But yes repair it

By the way 4eTouareg what oil do you use??

regards
dragline

· Registered
20,262 Posts
The issue with the oil on the V10 and R5 is whether or not it has very high molecular shear resistance.

If it does not, then you are heading for major problems with premature cam shaft lobe wear.

So it is crucial to use the correct spec oil to avoid this.

IMHO, if you are not using the correct oil, change it and the oil filter immediately.

· Registered
20,262 Posts

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
I believe the 506.01 is acceptable for the V10 if it is available in his region and his vehicle is NOT fitted with a DPF. Generally speaking, the higher number oil spec supercedes a lower spec and can be used in place of the lower spec, i.e. 507.00 supercedes 505.01. Of course if the oil you are using does NOT meet the 50x.xx spec, noobytoogy is absolutely correct and the oil must be replaced ASAP with correct spec oil. If you have DPF, you need to be running a low ash oil to avoid clogging the DPF with soot.

Here is a list of VW oil specs in question, source oilspecifications.org - Lubricant standards and specifications

VW 505.01
Special engine oil for VW turbodiesel engines with pump-injector-unit and for the V8 Commonrail turbodiesel engines. Meets ACEA B4 SAE 5W-40 specification.
VW 506.00
These oils are suitable for diesel engines with extended service intervals of up to 50,000km / 2 years. Not for use on engines with a single injector pump. Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator. Viscosity is SAE 0W30.
VW 506.01
These oils are especially for "Pumpe-Düse" (unit injector or "PD" engines) running on extended service intervals (30,000 - 50,000km / 24 months). Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator.
VW 507.00
Low SAPS oils suitable for Euro 4 engines and almost all VAG diesel engines from 2000 onwards with extended service intervals, unitary injector pumps and also Pumpe-Düse ("PD") engines. Excludes V10, R5 engines and VW Commercial vehicles without fitted DPF (diesel particulate filters) – these must use a 506 01 specification oil.

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
On the subject of thermostat, while it is never good to have an out of spec thermostat, I believe the OP will be OK with minimal driving until the thermostat is replaced. It is my understanding that the thermostat in the V10 will fail in the open position, meaning that it won't allow the vehicle to warm up properly. This is certainly better than failing in a closed position where the vehicle would overheat. Of course it will smoke like a dragon and oil temps will be on the cool side, especially if ambient temps are cool. If you have a DPF, it will regenerate often and may clog.

Last winter, our V10 had a thermostat failure while visiting the mountains during an extremely cold period over the New Year holiday. There were no dealerships open and no parts available for install during the time that were were in the area. We avoided much local driving but continued our 1000 miles/1600 km trip back home at highway speeds. I built a "winter front" over the radiator to reduce air flow and keep coolant temps up and in turn kept oil temps up, but neither were normal. Our DPF regenerated every couple of hours when the exhaust temps met spec. You could tell from the smell of the exhaust that the vehicle was producing much soot and we could see the soot on the rear of the vehicle. Fuel economy also suffered, in part by choosing the keep the vehicle in 5th gear to keep the engine revs up. Other than that, we experienced no adverse long lasting effects. We stopped driving the vehicle upon our return and got it to the dealership ASAP.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks all,
When i drive around here (I'm still in Bris) during the day the temp stays between 80 and 90, but I'll have a look at the themostat today.
The Fuchs oil is synthetic but I can't recall the full name.
There is a sticker under my bonnet that states 506.01 must be used.
Yes I will be doing my own servicing, so any advice you can give will be welcome.
Was going to get K&N filters but after reading this site and others I think I'll stick with the origanal ones.

Dragline I work at Collinsville mine, been there 3 years.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update, When I purchased the Touareg I got a limited 3 year warranty with it, I rang them and they told me to take it to a nearby Transmission repair shop ???
I told him the problem and how it is common for the V10's themostat to fail in the open position. I rang him that night (WED) he said he was still doing some tests,I rang on Thurs, he said the warranty people said his quote was too high, and a thermostat should only cost $80.00, After many phone calls, it turns out they were looking at the wrong part for $80.00!. on Friday I rang again, he said parts had been ordered. (might be here Monday).
Even if they get the thermostat on monday and fit it, that will be 6 days to replace a thermostat!!!! . If I'd know it was going to be this long, I would have replaced it myself last wed and not worried about the warranty.
you live and learn......but I'm a slow learner!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.