Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 years old, 230 000km on the clock, no problems after warranty, did the most amazing (and challenging) 4x4 trips and superb driving fun (mostly 500km trips (one way) from home to kids/grandkids). BUT now, after having serviced at independent mechanic (for you guys/gals in Perth - German Auto Service, I’m at Jandakot branch - superb knowledgable and helpful) here is the list of issues, amongst others:

A/C compressor failed (ie engine drop to fix)
Battery weak (I mentioned this on another post - front battery)
Brake hose starting to perish
Rear shock absorbers split (what does that mean - like in really SPLIT?)
Rear diff seal starting to leak

So, what’s next? Turbo’s packing up? DPF filters packing up
I’ll probably get next to nothing when selling and will be honest re above issues.

I would appreciate the opinion of the forum’s knowledgable members - sell or spend or dismantle and sell parts.
I am fully aware that “a lot depends on a lot”, but will be interesting to hear different opinions.

Cheers
Werner

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Has GAS provided a quote to fix some/all of these issues Werner?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Sooner or later you will have to drop the engine to fix something. Most people try to fix as much as possible with the engine drop.

It is not as bad as it seems. I know things can get you down, put there are no deal killers here. Having a turbo with a bad wastegate, two cams that are worn out, and wear on the timing teeth would be bad. You are nowhere near bad.

These engines are so rare and unique, people are going to the effort of fixing the cams in their home garage.

The battery thing can not be that complicated to fix. Probably needs the five year old battery replaced. Remember to check those cables due to the possible acid contamination problem that you ran into.

What brake hose connection. It doesn't really matter. If it is the vac lines to the brake controller, just replace them. If it is the hydraulic lines to the calipers, just replace them.

Rear shocks at that mileage. Crawl under and get some pics and post them here. Not a killer deal to put on two rear shocks.

Rear diff leak. Any grease monkey that can change oil and replace an oil pan will not have any trouble fixing this in their backyard.

The only thing for sure is the longer you keep a vehicle, the more repairs you will perform. It does not matter the make or model. But, repairs are cheaper then payments. The reason they give you a warranty is that most could not afford both the payments and the repairs at the same time. :D

If you are just getting tired with the vehicle, you can post it and wait many months until you get a fair offer. I don't see where you need to have a fire sale. The V10 is rare and a running one is still a pricey vehicle, even with a few problems.

If it was my vehicle, I would ask Drag for a second opinion on this engine.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Just to repeat, if you want to move on, move on. You don't need a reason.

But, in case you would like to keep it a bit longer...

·
Registered
713 Posts
G'day Werner, there is life after a V10.
I traded mine, (3 years ago) plus a golf TDI, both 08's and got a MY16 180TDI. Mine only had around 75000 kilometers but as it was 8 years old and out of warranty I lived in fear of something major happening.
Most of those k's were towing 3-tonnes. Do I miss it? I miss the 'grunt' but the V6 8-spd does a pretty fair job and I now am only half way into a 6-year warranty.
I got a great deal which I couldn't refuse but had I not been trading.... a low k's 2nd hand V8 would be nice.
Good luck. Cheers, Dubby

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies and thoughts. No, I really want to keep the beast. Went back to GAS today and discussed all issues. He will work out a “rough” quote, then I will decide. That post re not dropping engine for a/c compressor replacement is brilliant. Will discuss with them later in the week. If the engine is dropped, which other components could be checked/fixed/replaced at the same time? Cheers, Werner

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag, where are you? You helped me tremendously when I was in the middle of nowhere and the engine warning light came on. You had correctly diagnosed PDF fluid, I did a 1000km return trip to Cairns and problem was fixed! Your advice on this one will be hugely appreciated. Cheers, Werner

·
Learner
4,733 Posts
love my v10, even at 210k, no problems.
Spend 10k fix it all and its good for another few years or pay 110k for a new one...
Have been driving the new CR model for few weeks.... loving it!
Silky smooth 48v air suspension, aircooled massaging seats, heads up display, quiet as a mouse and plenty of low torque and grunt! Well done vw
Choices choices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts