Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 V10-TDI with 75K miles on it and the passenger side turbo has started seeping oil when hot and it smokes and smells and drips on the driveway. So I have decided to have the engine pulled and replace both turbos. I have already purchased the two OEM turbos from VW of Canada (not available in USA) but my Indy Shop is unsure what else he needs besides the already purchased turbos. Obviously gaskets at a minimum. Plus I have read on this forum that if the engine is out the vacuum hoses should also be replaced.

Does anyone have a parts list of what is required to do this job? Would greatly appreciate any help. The VW parts department is clueless, and they have never seen a V10.

Many thanks
Martin

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd be careful of your Indy needing this kind of "guidance". The v10 isn't your average engine.
Maybe spend a few more bucks and at the very least download the official service manuals from erWin to ensure that whatever they are charging you to do is done correctly.

Have they worked on a V10 previously?
Some users have actually shipped their v10s across the country to real experts when needing this level of work in order to avoid problems down the road. Do a search and see for yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice thanks. No he has never done one before but is keen to do it. I cannot find anyone who specializes in these fabulous engines. Any suggestions? West coast preferred...I am in Central California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You put a V-10 in a Corvette? That must have been an interesting conversion and make a great car to drive!

We have had the car on the rack at two different shops and both said it is definitely the passenger side turbo. They both used camera scopes from above and below. So we are changing the turbos regardless now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do some searching around here... there's at least a handfull of v10 guys who have dropped their engines a few times or have done some serious wrenching on them. I think I've head of some expert shop in Chicago area and one in Portland or Cali, but I didn't keep records... I'll keep an eye out for you in case I run across them again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do some searching around here... there's at least a handfull of v10 guys who have dropped their engines a few times or have done some serious wrenching on them. I think I've head of some expert shop in Chicago area and one in Portland or Cali, but I didn't keep records... I'll keep an eye out for you in case I run across them again.
Many thanks...standing by.
Martin

·
Registered
598 Posts
I hope the diagnosis is correct for the issue being stated as the turbos themselves. A very common V10 issue Is the tandem/diesel pump sitting directly above the turbos on the rear of each cylinder head, dripping oil or diesel on the hot turbo leading to the smoke and smell.

When engine is out, be certain to fully inspect these two pumps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with Crispy, if you have smoke, and oil dripping from the right side of the car it is most likely the tandem pump ( Vacuum pump and high-pressure fuel pump piggybacked together ) on the back of the head. If the turbo is leaking oil you will see the mess from the oil but no smoke. The tandem pump leak is a very common problem caused by a bad design where the pump bolts to the head.

It is possible to change the tandem pump seal/gasket with the engine still in the car ( I have done it ) but it's a $h!t of a job.

I'm waiting on a hoist so I can pull the engine to do the turbos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts