Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you really want the V10 to sound amazing - instead of straight pipes you can do an x-pipe cross-over and then remove the suitcase muffler in the back. You don't notice too much difference under normal driving but man what a change when you pound the throttle. I believe there are a couple you-tube posts with sound bites of this.
I did notice a definite difference in throttle response with the straight pipes and Malone tune and if I hit it on an on-ramp it always feels like the front end is going to lift up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you really want the V10 to sound amazing - instead of straight pipes you can do an x-pipe cross-over and then remove the suitcase muffler in the back. You don't notice too much difference under normal driving but man what a change when you pound the throttle. I believe there are a couple you-tube posts with sound bites of this.
I did notice a definite difference in throttle response with the straight pipes and Malone tune and if I hit it on an on-ramp it always feels like the front end is going to lift up.

yeah an X pipe is always the way to go on a true dual exhaust system. Keeps the pressure balanced in the exhaust. This may be a while down the road though as I am restoring a BMW M Roadster currently as my fun car so it has priority.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took it on an hour each way drive the other weekend and it didn't do the smoke thing. But right as I got to work this morning it started doing the smoke out the exhaust and it started a little under the hood (always happens together). Im guessing it has to do with the Regen cycle but not sure what would cause the smoke to come out of the engine bay. Possibly a small crack in a manifold/exhaust pipe

Any resolution? Have a V10 as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Any resolution? Have a V10 as well.
It is quite likely that your tandem pump is leaking. The oil will drip on the turbo housing on the LH side making it wet and then when the housing gets really hot during the regen cycle the oil burns off. Kind of like having a hot skillet of fajitas under the hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This one has no oil leaks in the area but otherwise agree. Due to the unpredictable nature she'll smoke out of the exhaust at times. I'm a sporty driver and have noticed the oil level can affect it.

One particular tailgater got a major dose of Spy Hunter smoke out screen. Dropped way, way back. Like 1980's safe distance driving type of drop back. Wife loved it. Now she want's me to rig the DPF regen to activate on command. Too many jacked up tough guy trucks around here. Haha, she's great.

Have the feeling the tandem pump will be on the list one of the days....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I sold the V10 but yes I am positive it was the tandem pump leaking. I was able to peek back around where the pump is and there is oil on it. I would have replaced it but the new owner was planning a turbo upgrade so he was pulling the engine any way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I took it on an hour each way drive the other weekend and it didn't do the smoke thing. But right as I got to work this morning it started doing the smoke out the exhaust and it started a little under the hood (always happens together). Im guessing it has to do with the Regen cycle but not sure what would cause the smoke to come out of the engine bay. Possibly a small crack in a manifold/exhaust pipe
This happened to me, took couple of days for the dealer to figure it out. It was the seals around the turbo.

·
Learner
4,637 Posts
Something wrong here. No such smoke from dpf v10s.
Smoke from passenger side- would be from webasto heater. Is it cold where you are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am back, had to change name as it has been too long since I have been here.
2007 V10 with 70,000 miles
1. lost passenger side turbo, c-clip failed, linkage failure lead to turbo failure
a. replaced both turbos (I wanted matched performance)
b. replaced driver-side cat (special order) For Sale Brand new Euro Left side Cat (shipped by error)
c. replaced both fuel pumps, passenger side tandem pump is $800 expensive. They leak onto hot-side of turbo and cause major smoke smell sometimes through vent and always a lingering diesel odor.
d. Driveshaft center bearing replaced
e. left and right cracked exhaust manifolds replaced
f. replaced sensors
g. Brand new ECU also available for sale
While these are great vehicles these expenses are crazy, and then I read about cams and other DPF
related issues and cringe.

There is a "hidden" story about dealer service failures and getting assistance from HQ that I cannot repeat
that made this work more "affordable"

I probably have one of the best condition 2007 V10's with a perfect body and interior.
Should probably sell it, but prices are so low, hold on to it forever, as when they are running properly they are
sensational.
Probably should sell and run, but it has almost everything external, replaced and should give years of service with its tow package, large rims and Euro shift paddles (thanks Spockat)
IMG_0471(2).JPG
IMG_0472(2).JPG
IMG_0472(3).JPG
IMG_0475(1).JPG

Wife had 2011 3.0 TDI T-reg, VW bought it back for $44K, could not resist, now she drives a Q7

Please note brand new ECU and left side Euro Cat converter AND
I will be selling repaired L/R exhaust manifolds (I would SwainCeramic Coat but purchasers would think
coating was to hide cracks.Manifolds are $1,064 each!!! as you can see the cracks should be easily tigg repaired.

I will send photo of cause of turbo failure, c-clip and linkage becoming unhooked.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
V10goodandbad
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing