Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my V10 for a few months now. I'm guessing when the Particulate filter does its burn out I get some smoke coming out of the engine bay and consequently into the interior. Its just white smoke and I see it come out the exhaust first then a minute later I can smell it in the interior and then when I stop can see it coming out the hood. Pop the hood and its coming from the Rear Passenger side of the engine bay from down low somewhere.

I did a search and didn't come up with anyone else's V10 doing this. I am not sure where the particulate filter is located in the exhaust. This happens like once every two weeks or so.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it occurring when the engine is cold and the outside temperature low?
Possibly the auxiliary heater in the fender?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it occurring when the engine is cold and the outside temperature low?
Possibly the auxiliary heater in the fender?
It has been happened with the engine warm before. The outside temp has been pretty low since I got the car.

Does it happen after a good drive at operating temp? Does your engine fans stay on?
usually have been driving for a good 15 min or so on the highway. (I don't live far from work)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you only drive it 15 minutes each way to work each day you are doing just about the worst journeys possible for any diesel - it just won't be getting hot enough for long enough especially if the weather is cold.

Take it for a good 30-45 minute blast somewhere where you can get it nice and hot and the revs high - hold it in gear using Tiptronic if necessary.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it on an hour each way drive the other weekend and it didn't do the smoke thing. But right as I got to work this morning it started doing the smoke out the exhaust and it started a little under the hood (always happens together). Im guessing it has to do with the Regen cycle but not sure what would cause the smoke to come out of the engine bay. Possibly a small crack in a manifold/exhaust pipe

·
Registered
682 Posts
Or residue from spilled oil or small oil/fluid leak. Because during regen, it REALLY heats up.

I think a couple good regens (forced?) will probably burn that crap on the exterior off of the DPF for good.

Monitor and force regens via VCDS

·
Registered
413 Posts
You have symptoms of a leaking tandem pump. Mine does the same thing. The tandem pump leaks just enough oil that during a regeneration it burns off the RH turbo and smokes.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Venom 13132 - Find a good high speed road with a LONG hill - at least 5% grade - and run it up that hill using as much power as possible while driving safely. Aka 'Italian Tune-up' Long periods at high load (power) clean thongs out amazingly well. Mountain passes work really well but you may be a little short of those in indiana.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
High loads clean thongs??? 😆

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like Mike N is right on - passenger side tandem pump gasket leaking oil onto exhaust manifold and might also be a cracked exhaust manifold. I have/had the same symptoms - I fixed the regen DPF filter problem by cutting them out which took care of the noticeable white-smoke exhaust problem during regen and as soon as the weather breaks I'll deal with the tandem pump and exhaust manifold.

By the way - the DPF filters are between the exhaust manifold and the cats.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sounds like Mike N is right on - passenger side tandem pump gasket leaking oil onto exhaust manifold and might also be a cracked exhaust manifold. I have/had the same symptoms - I fixed the regen DPF filter problem by cutting them out which took care of the noticeable white-smoke exhaust problem during regen and as soon as the weather breaks I'll deal with the tandem pump and exhaust manifold.

The cats are between the exhaust manifold and the dpf's

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What did you do to cut out the DPF filters?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You have symptoms of a leaking tandem pump. Mine does the same thing. The tandem pump leaks just enough oil that during a regeneration it burns off the RH turbo and smokes.
This is what I was going to say, the pump/s also leak diesel when the seals fail and it drips onto the turbo manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cut the pipes out, put in straight/test pipes and then reprogram the ECU to not look for the old sensors at the DPF - did the Malone Stage I tune.

lgibson is correct - the DPFs are post cat converters

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine are also leaking exhaust on both banks from the manifold. i need to take off the cover plate to see if the manifold is cracked or the bolts have come loose. has anyone been able to remove the manifold while in the treg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what I was going to say, the pump/s also leak diesel when the seals fail and it drips onto the turbo manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

sounds like that is the issue!

Cut the pipes out, put in straight/test pipes and then reprogram the ECU to not look for the old sensors at the DPF - did the Malone Stage I tune.

lgibson is correct - the DPFs are post cat converters
Nice, I did some research after asking that. Found a few V10s with that done and they sound amazing. We don't have emissions here might just straight pipe it all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
V10goodandbad
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing