Club Touareg Forum banner

361 - 363 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
116 Posts
I've read through this and didn't see any mention of what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm looking to possibly only use an overhead console timer, however my car is not fitted even with the compass.
Is it as simple as adding power to the timer and a wire to the webasto, or does it require the compass module as well?

My 2004, V10 (Australia) has a 7L6 819 008 B (SW: 0235) unit.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
December 2020 update to this excellent thread.

I ordered the Touareg 7L T91 Upgrade kit (Car Systems CR5963.7L0.01 - Webasco timer screen and vw logo remote) from carsystems.pl last year, and finally got around to installing it this past weekend. I am a former professional Audi wrench, but I followed V10TDI writeup, and rate it awesome. To the years of followups embedded in this thread, I will say I have an '07 v10tdi, and left untouched (software and hardware) the electronic control board as equipped from the factory. The carsystems kit also worked without any rosstech intervention... Yet. I have the remote activation operation working doing nothing more than pairing the remote, and will likely investigate how to use the aftermarket T91 mult-icontroller screen.someday. Or not.

I will say, to V10TDI instructions, between picture 18 and picture 19 are the instructions for breaching the firewall... I tried to follow those instructions, only to find a spinning wiper idler anchor nut spinning trying to remove. In the end, I only removed the brake resevoir access cover, bought a 1/8 and 3/16 (6USD ea home depot) extra long drill bit, and was able to perform the firewall breach with a Fiscars hand operated drill thru the same firewall plug.

Note: you must be careful to stop the bit immediately upon breach or it will immediately devour critical wiring harness insulation. Once you drill the hole to 3/16, insert the 18 drill bit, then I heat shrink the trigger wire and terminal to the smaller bit, and pull it through.
Note: On the Car systems kit you have 2.5meters of uninterrupted Controller plug to trigger cable that you route from the fuse block under the dash to the heater.
Note: I only removed the strut back fasteners on the wheel well liner to access the heater control plug itself.
Note: Be very careful with the heater connector plug removal and disassembly, many years of exposure to the elements that is a fragile connector, take your time
Note: Make sure you remove the dead-plug completely from Pin 1 before attempting to insert the supplied connector, I used a terminal hook tool, but a small hook tool should work

To the fuse block, I used empty fuse 20, but I got constant battery power from any position on row 2.
Note: missing from V10TDI writeup, you have to slide the row 2 purple connector retainer about 3mm aft or the connector won't ever land.
Note: It is really tight behind the fuse block, I used a small zip tie from the fuse side to guide the connector into the proper position.
Note: Row 2 (from the top) 'appears' to be rear (aux) battery feed (30), which mean any row 2 slot (count top down) available should be fine.
Note: The Car Systems 'standalone' system uses a 15amp fuse, not a 1amp as described in V10TDI writeup

Note: Conditions for Wabasto to fire stock from VOA
  • Aux battery voltage >11.5v
  • Rear fuel door closed
  • Climate control NOT in ECON (I learned this the hard way with hours on the Rosstech last year)
  • Fuel more than 1/4 tank (not in red zone)

Note: The remote included in the Car Systems kit is not paired to the T91 controller. Pull the fuse for 5 seconds, reinsert and push the remote/s off button to pair.

I would say this project is like a gas grill or any Ikea project, the first one will take 6hours, the second takes a fraction of the time... lol

Once the remote was paired, I pressed "on" and the wabasto fired up, and the (4 zone premium in my case) climate control goes to "HE" and the remote LED blinked every 6 seconds to remind me that the heater was on. I tried a variety of conditions regarding the locking and unlocking and starting of the vehicle, without any issues at all.

I hope this helps those who can't find that unicorn vw console controller that requires the matching 008 heater control board, and instead use the currently available T91 from Car Systems with the standard North America board and coding.

Cheers and Warm Wasbasto wishes

Justi
'07 v10tdi - "Xena"
Remote parking heater enabler

·
Registered
2 Posts
December 2020 update to this excellent thread.

I ordered the Touareg 7L T91 Upgrade kit (Car Systems CR5963.7L0.01 - Webasco timer screen and vw logo remote) from carsystems.pl last year, and finally got around to installing it this past weekend. I am a former professional Audi wrench, but I followed V10TDI writeup, and rate it awesome. To the years of followups embedded in this thread, I will say I have an '07 v10tdi, and left untouched (software and hardware) the electronic control board as equipped from the factory. The carsystems kit also worked without any rosstech intervention... Yet. I have the remote activation operation working doing nothing more than pairing the remote, and will likely investigate how to use the aftermarket T91 mult-icontroller screen.someday. Or not.

I will say, to V10TDI instructions, between picture 18 and picture 19 are the instructions for breaching the firewall... I tried to follow those instructions, only to find a spinning wiper idler anchor nut spinning trying to remove. In the end, I only removed the brake resevoir access cover, bought a 1/8 and 3/16 (6USD ea home depot) extra long drill bit, and was able to perform the firewall breach with a Fiscars hand operated drill thru the same firewall plug.

Note: you must be careful to stop the bit immediately upon breach or it will immediately devour critical wiring harness insulation. Once you drill the hole to 3/16, insert the 18 drill bit, then I heat shrink the trigger wire and terminal to the smaller bit, and pull it through.
Note: On the Car systems kit you have 2.5meters of uninterrupted Controller plug to trigger cable that you route from the fuse block under the dash to the heater.
Note: I only removed the strut back fasteners on the wheel well liner to access the heater control plug itself.
Note: Be very careful with the heater connector plug removal and disassembly, many years of exposure to the elements that is a fragile connector, take your time
Note: Make sure you remove the dead-plug completely from Pin 1 before attempting to insert the supplied connector, I used a terminal hook tool, but a small hook tool should work

To the fuse block, I used empty fuse 20, but I got constant battery power from any position on row 2.
Note: missing from V10TDI writeup, you have to slide the row 2 purple connector retainer about 3mm aft or the connector won't ever land.
Note: It is really tight behind the fuse block, I used a small zip tie from the fuse side to guide the connector into the proper position.
Note: Row 2 (from the top) 'appears' to be rear (aux) battery feed (30), which mean any row 2 slot (count top down) available should be fine.
Note: The Car Systems 'standalone' system uses a 15amp fuse, not a 1amp as described in V10TDI writeup

Note: Conditions for Wabasto to fire stock from VOA
  • Aux battery voltage >11.5v
  • Rear fuel door closed
  • Climate control NOT in ECON (I learned this the hard way with hours on the Rosstech last year)
  • Fuel more than 1/4 tank (not in red zone)

Note: The remote included in the Car Systems kit is not paired to the T91 controller. Pull the fuse for 5 seconds, reinsert and push the remote/s off button to pair.

I would say this project is like a gas grill or any Ikea project, the first one will take 6hours, the second takes a fraction of the time... lol

Once the remote was paired, I pressed "on" and the wabasto fired up, and the (4 zone premium in my case) climate control goes to "HE" and the remote LED blinked every 6 seconds to remind me that the heater was on. I tried a variety of conditions regarding the locking and unlocking and starting of the vehicle, without any issues at all.

I hope this helps those who can't find that unicorn vw console controller that requires the matching 008 heater control board, and instead use the currently available T91 from Car Systems with the standard North America board and coding.

Cheers and Warm Wasbasto wishes

Justi
'07 v10tdi - "Xena"
Remote parking heater enabler
what is the partnumber of your climatronic module? i wonder if i need to change that to a newer version to get my 03 to work. i get a can bus error with the correct stationary heater module

361 - 363 of 363 Posts