Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This DIY document provides instructions on how to convert the Aux. Heater found in US V10 Touareg models to a parking heater and allow for cabin and coolant heating while engine is not running. Includes instructions on installing the remote control module Telestart T91 as well as replacing the overhead US compass with Euro version which has parking heater controls. The document also includes instructions on how to replace the Webasto Aux. Heater electronics.

Attachments

·
Lifetime Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note: The above document requires Adobe Acrobat reader 9 or above.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
password requested!!

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
That is weird, why can I open it and you two can't? I don't know the OP, so I don't have the password nor was I asked either time I looked at it to open it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I can open it just fine. No password required.
Maybe it's because you don't have the correct version of Acrobat installed.

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
I can open it just fine. No password required.
Maybe it's because you don't have the correct version of Acrobat installed.
The OP does mention version 9 or higher. I know I am up to date. You two above may want to check that out.

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can i only install the telestart (yellow wire from heater and the one from fusebox) and then the heater works, without the display?

Edit: And antenna of course :D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yes, that's what I've done. Retirees don't need a timer!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I need to do some research on this. It was my understanding that it just continued to flow coolant thru the heater block and heater core for a few minutes after shutdown and use residual heat and would then shut off.

But it sounds like there is a seperate diesel powered webesto that can continually produce heat? If so how do you find out if your vehicle has it and if now how do you install the heater itself (pending the additional equipment you referenced above?)

New owner of V10 TDI that has not even arrived yet?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Found my answers on here and read the vortex forum on it. Sounds awesome. I will have to put this on my list of things to do. Even though I'm moving to Savannah GA and it is hot as balls all year long it may come in handy if they move us up north to Ft. Drum or Ft. Waynewright. Not to mention good for startup on cold days.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Yes, that's what I've done. Retirees don't need a timer!
So for the rest of us.

You have installed the remote unit, and nothing else?
No heater electronics, or timer unit?

What was your heater coded as?
Did you have to recode?
What is your heater module part number?

I have the remote unit but haven't had time to get it installed yet.

Thanks!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
yrktreg,

I would say V10 is the resident expert here on this and defer to him. It seems we're still experimenting a bit. If you haven't yet read the extensive thread on this forum and the Kilometer Mag link postings you might want to do that. My understanding is it is not necessary to replace the Webasto Thermotop circuit board. Guess we'll find out in a couple of months. I did an English translation of the VCDS label file for this module which should help if troubleshooting is necessary.

Answers to your questions:
yes, yes
neither, nor
Did you have to recode?
no, but it has not yet been cold enough to turn on
Part No: 7L6 815 071 D

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
yrktreg,

I would say V10 is the resident expert here on this and defer to him. It seems we're still experimenting a bit. If you haven't yet read the extensive thread on this forum and the Kilometer Mag link postings you might want to do that. My understanding is it is not necessary to replace the Webasto Thermotop circuit board. Guess we'll find out in a couple of months. I did an English translation of the VCDS label file for this module which should help if troubleshooting is necessary.

Answers to your questions:
yes, yes
neither, nor
Did you have to recode?
no, but it has not yet been cold enough to turn on
Part No: 7L6 815 071 D
I've read it all :eek:

Thank you for the feedback, i've had my telestart since last year but have had a motorcycle accident and then a car accident that has prevented me from getting it installed...:evil_laugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Telestart T91 part number

2 Dealers (local and 1stvwparts.com) both said the ZDK054356 part number is not a valid in VoA system. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW i have been wanting to get the Telestart (remote) since I got my 2007 V10. (see VWVortex.com - Auxiliary Heater installed on North American V10 Tourareg ?) I have already converted the overhead console and heater. It works great to heat on the timer...except it only works once per programing. Basically you have to set the timer every night to 'fire' the following morning.

I find it most useful to set it for 3-4pm on ski days so you come off the slopes to a warm truck.

Eric

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I talked to a Danish shop today regarding an upgrade for my R5 TDI MY2004, and he told me the easiest way today to get the heater function are to fit a GSM module that speaks CAN-bus, cost would be around € 1.100. Don´t if any has posted this before...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hi Eric,
I got a friend in Europe to buy mine. Whar about Canada?

1 - 20 of 363 Posts