Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to all those V10 enthusiasts out there. Do any of you know if there is any difference in the engines from a late 2006 and 2007 model year V10's?
My 07 died :mad: (camshafts) and I have a chance to buy a 2006 engine with low miles at a good price.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
A question to all those V10 enthusiasts out there. Do any of you know if there is any difference in the engines from a late 2006 and 2007 model year V10's?
My 07 died :mad: (camshafts) and I have a chance to buy a 2006 engine with low miles at a good price.
Thanks for any help.

What code engine was the failed unit((BLE ?)
Seems like the engine in the 2006 were also a (BLE) so should not be an issue.
Earlier 2004/2005 had BKW engines but I would think that these would also run also if the ECU didn't have a problem with that engine.

You guys in the states never got the AYH engine we got but t I think the BKW engine was the equivalent.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for any help.
I'd be interested to know some of the details of how that happened...miles, oil used, OC intervals...etc...as for your original question I'm really of no use to you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camshafts (both sides) wore down and put metal filings throughout the engine. I can fix the cam issue but the metal all through the engine is the problem. It simply is not possible to clean it all our without complete dismantle.
As far as maintenance goes. It was done by the book at 3 different VW dealers..book stamped by the dealer every time a service was done. I reviewed this and found that I did one extra oil change at approx 33000 for some reason.
Bought it new the fall of 06 in Texas. 82000 miles (130 kms) total almost all highway trip miles.
Very disappointing considering what I paid for this thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Camshafts (both sides) wore down and put metal filings throughout the engine. I can fix the cam issue but the metal all through the engine is the problem. It simply is not possible to clean it all our without complete dismantle.
As far as maintenance goes. It was done by the book at 3 different VW dealers..book stamped by the dealer every time a service was done. I reviewed this and found that I did one extra oil change at approx 33000 for some reason.
Bought it new the fall of 06 in Texas. 82000 miles (130 kms) total almost all highway trip miles.
Very disappointing considering what I paid for this thing.
Sorry to hear that...were they using a 507.00 oil? They come in 0w30 weight and they're proven to be too thin for our PD engines...bad thing is that yours has a DPF hence you can't avoid using this specific oil type...If I were you I'd delete that DPF with the new engine installation (I don't even know if that's possible) and start using the proven and adequate to protect the cam lobes 5w40 501.01 oil...what were the telltale signs that your camshafts were out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should have done a little online research before asking. According to VW parts online both the 2006 and the 2007 have the BWF engine. It also shows that the BWF engine is used in 2008 model year as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I guess I should have done a little online research before asking. According to VW parts online both the 2006 and the 2007 have the BWF engine. It also shows that the BWF engine is used in 2008 model year as well.
Thanks

Not sure where you got the BWF engine from, the genuine site has BLE and BKW. The only reference i can get for a BWF is an after market supplier.

regards
Drag

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
My 2007 V10, with 06/48 production date, has engine code BWF. I believe that when the V10 was brought back into the states in late '06 all engines carried the BWF code. PEACE!

·
Registered
319 Posts
...You guys in the states never got the AYH engine we got but t I think the BKW engine was the equivalent...
For grins I went out and checked and my V10 shows AYH engine code. I'm curious what the difference is?

·
Registered
50 Posts
So to be clear, if AYH is programmed to my car, the ECUs should work? The only difference in serial is last two letters. I am guessing Phaeton and Touareg ECU are the same also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also remember that there was only 2004, 2006, 2007 v10 tdi sold in the USA due to emission compliance problems. As I was told only about 400 2004's made it to the USA before the EPA stopped imports into the USA. The next year was 2006 and it had DPF. My egg has 114k and has always run with 501.01. Cams seem to be ok, its just everything else that is broken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have an AYH engine code for a USA bought 2004 v10. I don't know if it was imported or not. Is there a consensus on if BKW or BWF parts are compatible? Where would one find such information on compatible engine type parts? My google searches are proving fruitless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Anyone inow the difference between BKW camshafts and BLE part numbers are the same except the letter at the end. Mechanically speaking the engine is the same, why would any different camshafts be used?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone inow the difference between BKW camshafts and BLE part numbers are the same except the letter at the end. Mechanically speaking the engine is the same, why would any different camshafts be used?
What kind of V10 are you talking about? A regular one or an R50? There might be some differences there or between different years of V10s due to different emission homologation standards. Maybe DPF vehicles used different camshafts for a reason. I don’t know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts