Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an '07 v10 TDI, when trying to start the car it will turn over and then loose power to the starter before it fires up. The weird part is the randomness of this happening, sometimes it will start first pop other times it might take 10 minutes of sitting there trying to start it. Dealer couldn't figure out the problem and neither could an auto electrician, so im hoping someone on here has had this before and can help me out?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
How old are your batteries? I bet one of them is almost dead. There is a relay for connecting the two. Perhaps it is flaky. Have you tried starting with the emergency method: turning key counter-clockwise?
What kind of a dealer couldn't handle this issue? You need VCDS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Batteries both replaced around 2 years ago. Local vw dealer couldn't figure it out because its too random. When it happens you can hear the relay clunking in the back so I'll look into getting that checked out. Haven't tried emergency start so I'll try that, thanks for the reply its good to get some headway!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine had the same issue, I just used the emergency start, however, as you can see from another of my threads I've just replaced the front battery .... Again!, the old one was less than a year old and was the best I could buy here, German Bosch S5,..... That was the 3rd front battery in 3 years, now the car is starting fine but I've put a cheaper battery this time and will just replace it next year if it starts causing issues as the new battery always sorts everything for at least 9 months :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can start the motor for over ten minutes , the batteries can not be the first line problem. Perhaps the glow plugs don`t work- but they fail normaly one by one and not all together.

Check out the fuse, the glow time relay and the high current relay located in the left connection box in the wiper area under your windshield (used to shift the glow current away from a weak starter battery). You will find a good explanation in VW SSP 298, if you understand German I can send it...

The first simple test should measure the voltages- the front one you see in the dashboard (without motor running- else it`s the charging voltage) or in the cigarette lighter besides your shift stick. For the trunk battery open the battery box under your reserve tire and check with a multimeter. The easiest tool is VCDS/VAG COM, there you find both voltages in steering module 9 in the measuring blocks 6 or 7 and can even log during starting procedure and driving/loading

br
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.