Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Treggers

I've got a V10 with an irritating issue. For days it will start "On the button" but then sometimes it will let me down and I have to put the key in click it back (to the left) then the car starts well using the consumer battery,

both battery's have been replaced, I have read several posts about people experiencing similar issues, but
no one has really nailed the issue, I've heard people say there are connections that need checking, I have done a visual in the boot (the battery/tyre well there had at some point been flooded with water!) but the solenoid is fine I checked it manually for operation and resistance and its reliable. The volt meter always shows just over 14v when engine is running backed up by my fluke dvm.

Also the carpet in the front foot wells has been damp (I have now cleared the drains in the bulkhead)

I have also noticed that if it fails first thing it will often fire up well on the button just a few minutes later, to me that says its not a failing battery (unless the clever electronics are still using the front/both batts?)

I am really stuck chaps, any advice or experiences would be very gratefully received.

I don't have VAG.com and live in Essex, also unfortunately I have been made redundant :( so cant afford to buy and change modules without good reason.

Hoping someone has some good advice

Regards Mark

(2003 V10 130kMiles)

· Registered
679 Posts
VCDS would greatly help...

If inserting your key works, then it sounds like only passive reading works. Have you replaced battery in remote?

Other considerations: VW has voltage detection and cuts power to modules if the vehicle battery is low amp (either old or wrong battery) Usually your dash will flash and other weird things.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Bentley has dire warnings about the order of battery disconnect/connect for early Tregs. Could be your relay is screwed up. To have a Touareg without VCDS (or a top-notch mechanic and pocketbook) is really unacceptable.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok bud give me a few minutes of your time?

Bentley has dire warnings about the order of battery disconnect/connect for early Tregs. Could be your relay is screwed up. To have a Touareg without VCDS (or a top-notch mechanic and pocketbook) is really unacceptable.

Ok Bud, your the man! what does Bentley say?? do you have to power up the treg in order for the brain to understand it has two batts?? I'm in blighty where it rains all the time and cars just desolve lol, I am a technical engineer and have a obd2 code reader that talks well to the treg, I have reset airbag errors etc, maybe I should find someone local who can delve deeper into her brain, but I have no codes on my reader.

any advice would be helpful

thanks mark.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
OBD does not come close to giving the level of detail you need. VCDS mimics the dealer's VAS reader. My advice is simple, even a technical engineer needs the best tools. The Touareg's electronics are like the Phaeton's, complex and finicky. I never travel without VCDS.

The battery relay has a sight glass which must show copper. The front battery is disconnected first and reconnected last. You may have a damaged relay now. This vulnerability seems to have been eliminated beginning 2006.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Stanton211
I am in Brisbane Australia. I have an 07 V10 and have been fault finding a starting issue mine has.
Bought at the end of 2014 and then it was only starting on the consumer battery (front under seat) I did not realise for some months and was out of warranty (of course). VW dealers & VW Australia fell over themselves running the other way. Great when you buy their premium product. service center wont even call me back (and i never even got a response with them, I was always pleasant as you don't get help if you are rude)

Problem was it started when cold and refused to start when at normal operating temp. (as in wait between 1 & 2 hours for it to cool to restart.)
So I had one comment that led to at least a partial solution, a service guy at VW (mechanic) commented that it started when a third battery was plugged in. After reading many many posts and reading the VW tehnical bulletins on this forum I established the Starter Battery (in spare tyre under rear floor) was not being used at all. Removed, cleaned and tested earth points, tested circuits, tested voltages, tested solenoid for physical operation and circuit when closed. all good.
Had the bright idea to Hot Wire the solenoid and test starting :) Whammo, started first and now every time. Still have the temporary horn button fitted in console so the solenoid is only on when starting (like factory operation). Now I use My button to activate the solenoid and the factory button to operate the starter. Two buttons is silly but it works.
The computers are not activating the battery when connected normally. i now have to get it back to a new dealer and service center where they may be able to follow the logic and look for the cause.
its a good news story. I love the V10. everyone who gets a ride in to wants to buy one. I drive with a smile from ear to ear. it uses less fuel then my old Kia Sorento v6 on the same commute in same traffic over 18 months of fuel tracking.
if any one knows or suspects why the starter battery is not joining in the party let me know.

Banana_bender1
grey 2007 V10, pneumatic suspension.

· Registered
16 Posts
Here is a Touareg V10 starting problem that I would really appreciate any help, guidance or comments on.

I have a 2008 white V10 Treg. Purchased new and with 43k on the engine and 66k on the car. Main VW dealership is under a mile from my home and it has been serviced on the dot. Every time. It has never towed and is immaculate. I love the beast.

PROBLEM: If I drive it and it reaches operating temperature and switch it off it will not re-start. Pressing the start button gives all the symptoms of a flat battery. It will not crank or turn over.

If I use the key and bring the second battery on-line it gives all the symptoms of 2 flat batteries. It will not crank or turn over.

If I wait 20 or 30 minutes and the temperature gauge begins to drop it will start immediately on either the start button or key.

I'm away from home and my dealership at the moment - local dealer here in South Texas is really reluctant to get involved even thought the car is on extended warranty.

Any insights / comments / jokes would be gratefully received.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stanton211
I am in Brisbane Australia. I have an 07 V10 and have been fault finding a starting issue mine has.
Bought at the end of 2014 and then it was only starting on the consumer battery (front under seat) I did not realise for some months and was out of warranty (of course). VW dealers & VW Australia fell over themselves running the other way. Great when you buy their premium product. service center wont even call me back (and i never even got a response with them, I was always pleasant as you don't get help if you are rude)

Problem was it started when cold and refused to start when at normal operating temp. (as in wait between 1 & 2 hours for it to cool to restart.)
So I had one comment that led to at least a partial solution, a service guy at VW (mechanic) commented that it started when a third battery was plugged in. After reading many many posts and reading the VW tehnical bulletins on this forum I established the Starter Battery (in spare tyre under rear floor) was not being used at all. Removed, cleaned and tested earth points, tested circuits, tested voltages, tested solenoid for physical operation and circuit when closed. all good.
Had the bright idea to Hot Wire the solenoid and test starting :) Whammo, started first and now every time. Still have the temporary horn button fitted in console so the solenoid is only on when starting (like factory operation). Now I use My button to activate the solenoid and the factory button to operate the starter. Two buttons is silly but it works.
The computers are not activating the battery when connected normally. i now have to get it back to a new dealer and service center where they may be able to follow the logic and look for the cause.
its a good news story. I love the V10. everyone who gets a ride in to wants to buy one. I drive with a smile from ear to ear. it uses less fuel then my old Kia Sorento v6 on the same commute in same traffic over 18 months of fuel tracking.
if any one knows or suspects why the starter battery is not joining in the party let me know.

Banana_bender1
grey 2007 V10, pneumatic suspension.
Hi. Did uou arrive to a permanent solution?

· Registered
16 Posts
Here is a Touareg V10 starting problem that I would really appreciate any help, guidance or comments on.

I have a 2008 white V10 Treg. Purchased new and with 43k on the engine and 66k on the car. Main VW dealership is under a mile from my home and it has been serviced on the dot. Every time. It has never towed and is immaculate. I love the beast.

PROBLEM: If I drive it and it reaches operating temperature and switch it off it will not re-start. Pressing the start button gives all the symptoms of a flat battery. It will not crank or turn over.

If I use the key and bring the second battery on-line it gives all the symptoms of 2 flat batteries. It will not crank or turn over.

If I wait 20 or 30 minutes and the temperature gauge begins to drop it will start immediately on either the start button or key.

I'm away from home and my dealership at the moment - local dealer here in South Texas is really reluctant to get involved even thought the car is on extended warranty.

Any insights / comments / jokes would be gratefully received.
Latest on my V10:-
1. It now has 65k miles recorded
2. The starting problem has been ongoing
3. Main dealer has been as frustrated as I have
4. After many visits and several batteries VW decided that it was a bad relay
5. The relay was around $700 and had to be sourced in Memphis. The car was off the road for about 10 days
6. Shook hands with the VW service manager and drove off into the setting sunset
7. The V10 behaved immaculately, starting hot or cold / key or button first time every time
8. This good behavior lasted almost a week and then the problem started again
9. Main dealer identified the failure of the same relay
10. Relay replaced after a lengthy wait for replacement.
11. Six weeks later the car shows no starting issues

Happy Trails

· Registered
16 Posts
Latest on my V10:-
1. It now has 65k miles recorded
2. The starting problem has been ongoing
3. Main dealer has been as frustrated as I have
4. After many visits and several batteries VW decided that it was a bad relay
5. The relay was around $700 and had to be sourced in Memphis. The car was off the road for about 10 days
6. Shook hands with the VW service manager and drove off into the setting sunset
7. The V10 behaved immaculately, starting hot or cold / key or button first time every time
8. This good behavior lasted almost a week and then the problem started again
9. Main dealer identified the failure of the same relay
10. Relay replaced after a lengthy wait for replacement.
11. Six weeks later the car shows no starting issues

Happy Trails
Looks like I spoke too soon. Just after my last post the beast started to misbehave in exactly the same way. Starts first time every time in the morning. Switch off for 5-10 minutes and she won’t start (or even crank). Sit for 30 mins and she will start as if nothing had happened. She will also start if I use an emergency start pack clipped onto the under bonnet terminals.
Car has been with the main dealer for ten days now and I’m not expecting it back anytime soon. Apparently a couple of Dutch engineers are going to assess the problem. Stay tuned.

· Registered
Current Vehicle #1 - 2012 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CATA Current Vehicle #2 - 2014 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CNRB
389 Posts
Looks like I spoke too soon. Just after my last post the beast started to misbehave in exactly the same way. Starts first time every time in the morning. Switch off for 5-10 minutes and she won’t start (or even crank). Sit for 30 mins and she will start as if nothing had happened. She will also start if I use an emergency start pack clipped onto the under bonnet terminals.
Car has been with the main dealer for ten days now and I’m not expecting it back anytime soon. Apparently a couple of Dutch engineers are going to assess the problem. Stay tuned.
Your latest symptoms sounds like a crankshaft position sensor.....notorious over several brands of vehicles for failing when hot and not throwing codes. Have they checked yours?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

· Registered
32 Posts
Your latest symptoms sounds like a crankshaft position sensor.....notorious over several brands of vehicles for failing when hot and not throwing codes. Have they checked yours?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I don't think it's the crankshaft position sensor cause I have the same issue, when the car is cold it starts but after driving it it gives the symptoms of dead batteries but when I plug in my Lithium backup jump starter it fires up immediately. If it was the crankshaft positioning sensor it would not even start when the jump starter was used.

· Registered
32 Posts
Any updates on what the problem is? It is driving me crazy

· Registered
16 Posts
Any updates on what the problem is? It is driving me crazy

I agree. Like you my lithium pack will start it first time.
Mine has been in the dealership for a month now.
Service Manager called to say that they think the problem is the cable between the starter battery and the starter motor and the fix will include removing the engine. Cost is about $5k.
After I had finished laughing VW said that they would investigate an alternate fix. Two days later they suggested replacing the cranking battery UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT. I pointed out that the cranking battery is under the spare wheel and that both batteries have been changed for new within the past year trying to fix this elusive problem.
Since then........crickets.

· Registered
16 Posts
Did you check the fuses under the driver seat?
I didn’t but the dealership did. I will ask them to do so again tomorrow. Really puzzled why VW’s flagship/premium product has this problem and even more puzzled why it has been allowed to fester. Or why the factory hasn’t stepped in. The dealerships seem to be as much use as a button on a sock.

· Registered
32 Posts

I agree. Like you my lithium pack will start it first time.
Mine has been in the dealership for a month now.
Service Manager called to say that they think the problem is the cable between the starter battery and the starter motor and the fix will include removing the engine. Cost is about $5k.
After I had finished laughing VW said that they would investigate an alternate fix. Two days later they suggested replacing the cranking battery UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT. I pointed out that the cranking battery is under the spare wheel and that both batteries have been changed for new within the past year trying to fix this elusive problem.
Since then........crickets.
Thanks for the update. I hope they progress with your car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.