Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have just bought a v10 2006 75k miles and she is smoking white/white grey . At idle it is a whisp of smoke/steam but when you rev it up it puffs well. If you drive it and offer full throttle she's like a red arrow on display. It sits at 90 degree c without moving.

Is it common for these trucks to do head gaskets or crack heads and blocks or could it be a leaking injector or injectors??

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

I am gutted raw as I want to feel its full towing potentials.

Many thanks Pee

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This is mainly a US based site where many folk will now be asleep though you might get lucky with some of the knowledgeable boys from down-under!

Broaden your audience for help by posting on the UK site www.mytreg.com

Was this a private or a dealer purchase?

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,312 Posts
V10s without dpf will blow a cloud of smoke once when you floor it and then it will be all clean.
In your case are you getting smoke all the time?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include

• Incorrect fuel injection timing
  • Defective fuel injectors
  • Low cylinder compression
Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze.
When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.
Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry .. unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

Has the engine had any previous work done is performance OK?

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
480 Posts
i have had the same problem with my V10 , 2008 with 96k miles on it
heavy white smoke , it doesn't happen often but i would say one every 1000 miles ?
the dealership is changing one of the turbos , one is faulty and the other one has a leak
i will give u more details when they become available .
now , my advice to you :
get extended warranty ASAP , u do not want to deal with the repair costs , they have to drop the engine to perform even small work sometimes , and thats an exorbitant amount to pay
the warranty will pay for itself !
good luck

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
simple stuff first!!
look for hose from intercooler to inlet manifold (big hose you see when remove the engine cover). it is a push on hose with a wire dicky locking ring... these come off, especially after servicing.... will cause huge amounts of fuel smoke due to AFR being tricked.... V10 might have 2 of them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Drove it up the road today and for the first 5 mins it was like a total white out, but then it cleared even under full throttle. I am thinking injector seals. Then the bloody low oil pressure stop engine came on.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.
At least the smoke stopped .
Full oil fuel and air filter service next.
Keep ideas coming please.
Thanks Pee

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
On the up side, I can tell it that it still passes VW new car smog certification. :p

Is there any chance you could get access to a VCDS and get a scan posted? That would be ever so much better then us guessing in the dark.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks. Drove it up the road today and for the first 5 mins it was like a total white out, but then it cleared even under full throttle. I am thinking injector seals. Then the bloody low oil pressure stop engine came on.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.
At least the smoke stopped .
Full oil fuel and air filter service next.
Keep ideas coming please.
Thanks Pee
BEFORE you change the oil and filter make 200% certain you know EXACTLY which oil to use in your V10 to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear - a known issue. Even VW dealers put the wrong oil in.

If you haven't yet read the buying used a Touareg link in my signature I strongly recommend you sit down for an hour and do so. You'll probably learn a lot and possibly save money later too.

The Touareg isn't a cheap car to run and the V10 engine can be a money pit as one or two recent V10 buyers are finding.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
BEFORE you change the oil and filter make 200% certain you know EXACTLY which oil to use in your V10 to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear - a known issue. Even VW dealers put the wrong oil in.
Nooby, That is probably the best advice possible to give to a new V10 owner. I hope he gets it all settled out. That is one incredible engine. It is not inexpensive or low maintenance, but it is totally incredible. When you have a properly working V10, you are in the point one percenters of the car world.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
this advice also same for the R5 Engine!

If you haven't yet read the buying used a Touareg link in my signature I strongly recommend you sit down for an hour and do so. You'll probably learn a lot and possibly save money later too.

The Touareg isn't a cheap car to run and the V10 engine can be a money pit as one or two recent V10 buyers are finding.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's the post I was waiting for! Now you need to find out if your V10 has a DPF or not. If not then it probably has an Eolys injection system to reduce pollutants.

This is NOT adblue [again, even VW dealers get this wrong] but a VERY expensive fluid that needs to be drained and replenished every 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
My dealer has told me my 06 has no dpf so have ordered 506.01.

That is Crap 06 UK models did have DPF filters.
Easy check to tell which engine you have, just check where is your fuel filter mounted under the bonnet or post a few photos of under the bonnet.

While I don't agree with this oil spec crap you do need to know which engine you have.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That is Crap 06 UK models did have DPF filters.
Easy check to tell which engine you have, just check where is your fuel filter mounted under the bonnet or post a few photos of under the bonnet.

While I don't agree with this oil spec crap you do need to know which engine you have.

Regards
Drag
Are your guts all right, old chap? That's two craps already tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.