Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Can anyone please shed some light on this one?
Here is the description of the problem, followed by two links to Youtube videos. The first is my car, the second is a Dutch owners car whose problem is very similar but not quite the same.....

My car stands level on the drive and in the morning, before starting the engine, I check the oil. The dipstick is totally dry. Redip and it's showing as overfull. How can this be?? Surely the level after the overnight stand is the best one to go by. Listers VW cannot explain this. Can anyone here?
I really need to know how much oil is in this car.

My car is a 2004 V10 with 46,000 miles indicated.

Thank you in advance, here are the links....

·
Registered
27 Posts
While the engine is running the oil level is probably dropping below the dipstick tube, hence in the morning when you go to check it the dipstick is not showing the oil level due to the air trapped in the tube. As soon as you pull the stick the oil rushes back into the tube and voila, there's your true oil level. The fact that yours is dong this is actually good because you can rest assured there is no vacuum leak from the dipstick

·
Registered
783 Posts
I agree you have to pull it at least twice and it's normal for these engines

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is exactly the same - not sure why it works this way but the explanation offered by TommyBoyee is the best I have heard so far!!

Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As a matter of general good-practices, unless otherwise specified by the owners manual, check oil engine-off and on level ground by:
1. pulling and cleaning the dipstick at the level indicator marks
2. re-insert, wait 2-5 secs, remove and read the level
3. check again if having shutdown the engine within 60secs of running.

only THEN decide what to do about the level reported on the stick. The above practice will ensure you get around the excellent vaccuum characteristics of this and many other engines and should prevent some false readings.

I make a habbit to only check oil level when it's at operating temp from my days as a 911 owner and cold versus warm oil showed 0.5-1.0qts higher/different from the cold reading. It is a slightly different beastie being a dry-sump motor and reading from the oil-tank; it is also a case where the engine had to be running at specified idle speed to get the reading. After oil-changes on cold winter days it was sometimes as long as 45mins with the engine at idle before the oil-cooler thermostat would fully open and the car be at a high enough temp to get a good reading. In the case of the 911, it's better to be slightly low vs. slightly over on oil since over-fill gets sucked into the intake and making a real mess of things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
V10 dipstick check

If I remove the oil filler cap I get a "full" reading. If I do not remove the cap it takes four in/outs of the dipstick to get the same reading. Some knowledgeable people have explained that it is necessary to "equalise" the interior oil pressure before getting a good reading which whats either of the above methods do. My moan is that I cannot get VW to corroborate that situation. That worries me:frown2:....does this mean that VW do not have a clue:surprise:? My V10 is nov 2005 and done 63,500 miles from new.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,124 Posts
If I remove the oil filler cap I get a "full" reading. If I do not remove the cap it takes four in/outs of the dipstick to get the same reading. Some knowledgeable people have explained that it is necessary to "equalise" the interior oil pressure before getting a good reading which whats either of the above methods do. My moan is that I cannot get VW to corroborate that situation. That worries me:frown2:....does this mean that VW do not have a clue:surprise:? My V10 is nov 2005 and done 63,500 miles from new.
If the pressure needs to equalise, the breathers must be blocked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you

Thanks Black Grouse, that is the first real sensible answer I have received. Only question now is where is the crankcase breather found and is it a DIY to replace/clean the filter?
One other query, do you know of any workshop manual in existence I can actually buy? There are some online pay as you go outfits but they assume you have internet access at all times.....!

Again Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,124 Posts
Thanks Black Grouse, that is the first real sensible answer I have received. Only question now is where is the crankcase breather found and is it a DIY to replace/clean the filter?
One other query, do you know of any workshop manual in existence I can actually buy? There are some online pay as you go outfits but they assume you have internet access at all times.....!

Again Thanks.
I'm relatively new to VW and now too old to get "down and dirty" so that was a theoretical diagnosis - I wonder if some of the internal passages are blocked with carbonised oil and preventing the oil returning to the sump until the dipstick is removed to give an additional route for the oil.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm relatively new to VW and now too old to get "down and dirty" so that was a theoretical diagnosis - I wonder if some of the internal passages are blocked with carbonised oil and preventing the oil returning to the sump until the dipstick is removed to give an additional route for the oil.

No it is the internal flap inside the sump causing a bit of an airlock.
Just pull the dipstick leave it out and go away for a few minutes and then re-dip.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
v10 dipstick is a tube all the way to the bottom.

Reactions: T10

·
Registered
8 Posts
Extraction

Hi 4E Pikanini,

I posted this elsewhere but it seems more appropriate here....(Sorry Mods - I will go and see if I can delete the original post)

As you say the dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom it would seem ideal for the below idea?

"Thinking of using a suction (through the dipstick hole) oil extractor (Pela 1400). The filter is on the top between the cyl heads, so action is to run the engine until hot, (turn it off!) remove the filter, extract as much oil as possible as above, (I know it will not get everything out but done in between dealer services hopefully it will help) Refill with the designated oil (0-30W 506.01)."

I would do it every 2000 miles. So......anybody got any comments please or any ideas why I should not do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts