Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for anyone who knows for sure what the largest size tire that will fit the V10 without rubbing at any height setting of the air suspension.

I have a set of 18" and 19" OEM wheels and I would like to buy a set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires that will fit either of these wheel sizes without rubbing or doing any modifications. Can anyone tell me if the tires listed below will fit properly and which would be the best option based on Load Index, Load Range, UTQG, etc? I have always heard that due to the weight of a diesel, a Load Range E tire should be used to avoid excessive wear and get more mileage from the tire.

Tires for 19” Wheel
-Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
255/55-R19
Load Index: 111-S
UTQG: 320 A B -------------------(not sure what 320 AB means)
Load Capacity: 2,403 lbs.
Overall Diameter: 30.00”

Tires for 18” Wheel
-Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
265/60-R18
Load Index: 110
Load Range: SL
UTQG: 500/B/B
Load Capacity: 2,337 lbs.
Overall Diameter: 30.5”

Thank you

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Your close on the 18" tires. I run the 265/65/18 on mine with no rubbing. Have your tire store do a test fit to be sure. The Touareg needs a 109 or better load rating due to the weight of the truck. I see alot of Michelin tires with ratings too low, the tire store thinks a Treg is an Explorer or one of the soft roaders they call SUV's. You can go to 31.5 on tire size, any larger and you get rubbing or spacers.

Reactions: ajnienhuis1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your close on the 18" tires. I run the 265/65/18 on mine with no rubbing. Have your tire store do a test fit to be sure. The Touareg needs a 109 or better load rating due to the weight of the truck. I see alot of Michelin tires with ratings too low, the tire store thinks a Treg is an Explorer or one of the soft roaders they call SUV's. You can go to 31.5 on tire size, any larger and you get rubbing or spacers.
Thank you, Mike's Panzer! I really appreciate your response.

Are you running the DuraTrac's?
Manufacturer specs on the DuraTrac 265/65/18 show it's overall diameter to be 31.5" with a load rating of 114. Any idea how much the speedo is affected by the larger tire?
I might have to find a new tire store - they told me they have to order the tires and that I would have to purchase them once they are mounted...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi, I am running 265/60R18 Wrangler Silent Armors. You should have no issues with this size. The Duratracs sure look the goods. What are the sidewall ply ratings? Dub

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The speedo is right on the money with the 31.5" tires. it reads a little high with the stock tires. Find a store that will work with you, the bigger independants are more flexable than the chains. Most will price match and don't nail you with add ons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I am running 265/60R18 Wrangler Silent Armors. You should have no issues with this size. The Duratracs sure look the goods. What are the sidewall ply ratings? Dub
Thanks Dub, your Treg looks great with the Silent Armors. I kinda have my mind set on the slightly more aggressive DuraTrac. Here are the full specs on the 265/65/18 DuraTracs from Goodyear's website:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I run the goodyear silent armor adventure in 265/60r18 and they are the perfect size for the v10 IMO.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi again. I would not be able to run 65 profile (31.5") on my T2, but you may be OK with a T1. You may need to modify the inner fender liners/intercooler vents, listed elsewhere on another thread. Maybe someone can confirm a T1 is OK with 31.5" tires. Just need to make sure the speed rating is OK with your insurer. Load rating is good. Cheers, Dub

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi again. I would not be able to run 65 profile (31.5") on my T2, but you may be OK with a T1. You may need to modify the inner fender liners/intercooler vents, listed elsewhere on another thread. Maybe someone can confirm a T1 is OK with 31.5" tires. Just need to make sure the speed rating is OK with your insurer. Load rating is good. Cheers, Dub
Some say they can on the T1, I tried and they rubbed like crazy on those vents.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have run them for several years in all terrain conditions and loads with no rubbing ever. Tires and fenders can vary a bit, I always recommend a test fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DuraTrac 265/65/18 Doesn't Fit

My 04 Touareg v10 is at the tire store right now. I ordered the 265/65/18 DuraTracs and the tire store just called to say they are afraid my fender wells will rip off in the front if I hit a bump. The diameter of these tires is 31.5" overall diameter.
My friend has an 07 v10 with same size wheels and is running 275/65/18 Goodyear Mud Terrains which are 32.1" in overall diameter and they do not rub at all. I asked the tire store if I could downsize to the 265/60/18 (30.5") and they said their master tech does not think it will fit without rubbing.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the 2004 (that I have) and the 2007 (that my friend has)? Did VW change the suspension height or wheel wells between these years?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: Finally got the new shoes put on!

I got the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (265/60/18 = 30.5") and this is absolutely the largest size that will fit (04 v10 with air suspension). I haven't experienced any rubbing at all at the "auto" height setting, even sharp turning. I haven't tried the lowest setting, but I never use that anyway. I'm really pleased with how these tires look and they fill the wheel well nicely. The noise level is probably a 5/10 at slower speeds (20-55 mph or so) on the pavement, but can hardly tell a difference on the highway at higher speeds. Now I'm ready to see how they perform off-road.

I'm still amazed that there is such a difference in max tire size that will fit on the later models of the v10. Again, I could only fit 30.5" on my 2004, while my friend is running 275/65/18 (32.1") on his 2007 v10 with no mods and they do not rub at all...

BTW, these are OEM 18" Audi Q7 wheels that I bought used on eBay. I had seen other forum members running these wheels on their Tregs in the past. I was really happy with the interchangeability with the OEM 19" Touareg wheels that I was running. The only downfall is that the TPMS sensors for my 19's did not fit the Audi 18" wheels so I disabled TPMS until I can figure out if the correct sensors for these wheels will sync up to the touareg ... and how much they cost.

These aren't the best pictures, but best I could do with the camera on my phone.

Thanks again to all of you who responded to my thread! All of your replies were helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put Kumho/Marshal Road Venture MT KL71 33x12.5R18 (305/60-R18, 32.4" tall) on my V10 on standard wheels 'Valley' (ET57) with 15mm spacers and longer wheel bolts, so the effective off-set now is ET42 (57-15=42).
Some minor modifications were made : had to move the intercoolers forward, and then moved them forward once again for another 5-10mm.
With tire width of 305 and effective off-set ET42 there is still enough horizontal and vertical clearance. Tires are not touching or scratching the front wings even when airsuspension is in load mode.
The clearance from a bolt on the swing arm to a tire is about 1-2mm only.
No modifications were made in respect of body lift due airsuspension. Suspension knob is always in off-road mode.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/big-bad-mud-tyres-78250-41.html#post816057

·
Registered
187 Posts
The wheel and tyre combo look great on your car. So good i want a set to fit if we go touring in ours. (currently fitted with OEM 20")

If you would let me know the model of the wheel it would be appreciated so can start searching for some.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
18" rims will fit over the V10 callipers??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Any for sale??

Anyone here from Australia know of any 18" OEM rims for sale?? Preferably near Newcastle NSW for picking up :))
Looking for design similar to my existing 20" wheels........

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Andy, don't know my wheel model. I bought on E-bay from Sydney tyre outlet (name escapes me) but they are Audi wheels, 18" x 8.5" wide. Bought 5 silent armors from Tirerack (USA) cost was approx $200 each plus $430 airfreight to Brisbane. (roughly a grand cheaper than buying in OZ). Definately no issues with size or calipers etc. Dub

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Andy,
I also have a 2008 V10 TDI with factory fitted spare on swing arm in Durban, South Africa. When I bought it had 20" rims shod with 275x40xR20. They were noisy and no good for offroad. I purchased through a contact 4 x 18" Porsche Cayenne Turbo rims including tires (50%) for $400. The rims fitted perfectly. I bought the 5th rim and tire via Gumtree (Read E-Bay elsewhere) for $250. This tire size is the maximum that will fit the spare wheel carrier without modification.
These new rims are shod with 265x55xR18 and provides a much quieter ride and better performance in soft sand. Very often these Porsche rims are available because the Porsche came standard with the 18" rims and the purchasers wanted 20" and 22" rims with low profile tires. Try an E-Bay search. You maybe surprised.
Good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Back on this again as looking for some rims after recent tree meet.

Thanks for all info, really usefully when looking :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.