Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.
I seem to have another problem surfacing lately. The engine when starting up, mostly when cold, but sometimes when warmish also, starts what feels like 5 or 7 cylinders, then it grinds its way up one by one, and about a minute or two later all is well. I had two dead injector unit renewed, as they had a correction of +2.4 mg/str or something close, and after I put them back in again they were -1.0 so I think they are now better than the rest. But after this it started the new issue. Sometimes it starts well, seemingly it starts rough when cold, but once or twice it does that when it is around 60 or 70 degrees C. That is about three or four hours after it was turned off. I've seen the cams, the biggest difference in lobe height is around 0.4 milimetres. It does not log an error code, not even temporarily, but the correction values on the renewed injectors go all over the place. A few times to the roof then back down rapidly, and as it is smoothing out they find their place. I'm thinking on some adaptation or basic settings stuff I might have forgot to do, but that should have been learned again in the past two months don't it?

Thanks for your time, and help!
Have a great day.
Steven

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case anyone should face the same issues, it was the O rings on the 20 connecting tubes of the fuel rail. They started to dissolve, leaking black goo into the fuel lines, and out in between the heads. The symptoms were long cranking time when cold, or sitting for over a day roughly, cylinders starting one by one, and some even needing a minute to do so. And obviously the terrible smell of gasoline. Don't buy aftermarket O rings, they deform fast, and are not resistant to gasoline.

Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know if I'm honest. It was flawless for about a year or so. And then it started more and more slowly, then some cylinders came online later than others, then the massive gasoline smell arrived, and then I grounded the car fearing a fire. The O rings were deformed, they were more like I rings, and as I touched them they just painted everything with black stuff. They just were dissolved chemically by gasoline. I found black powder in the filter housing, so I guess they were just eaten. I bought original VW rings and no problem ever since, but to change them you have to obliterate the top of the engine, the oil filter housing, the fuel filter housing (or the egr cooler on younger models), and both intake manifolds must come out. Not exactly plug and play.. 😅

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh sorry, I'm from Europe.. Here gasoline is diesel, and petrol is gasoline 😅 petroleum is parrafin... Everything is everything else 😅

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When he lifts his bonnet he is not raising his hat but looking at the engine, and when he's packed his trunk he takes it out to the car and puts it in the boot!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly 😅 The same way that it is a valve in your radio, not a tube, back in the blitz, rather than in the war 😅

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When he lifts his bonnet he is not raising his hat but looking at the engine, and when he's packed his trunk he takes it out to the car and puts it in the boot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts