Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the right side Tandem Pump (I actually rebuilt it for $47) and the entire process was filled with learning that I'm now going to pass along to everyone else. The biggest learning experience was cleaning the black exhaust build up from the throttle and intake manifolds. If you try carb and choke cleaner you are going to make a big mess. If you try brushes you are going to make a big mess.

I used a gallon of "Super Heavy Duty Degreaser" from Harbor Freight and soaked the intake in my kitchen sink (I'm not married and can do this...) overnight and literally the next morning I had a solid black, oily liquid in my sink and when I drained it and rinsed the intakes they looked new, both inside and out. For $10 and no scrubbing, you can clean these to new condition.

My Touareg has 138K miles and the throttles had a half inch of gunk and the inside of the manifold probably had a quarter of an inch. The most INTERESTING, but not surprising part, was the rumble at idle when in Drive or Reverse (which there are other post about) has decreased by 75-80% from being able to breath better.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should do this, but I'm so lazy most-times.
that said the EGR on mine was disabled some time before I bought it?

I've heard about folks doing the delete of their EGRs, but the dealer told me that you would have to reprogram how it runs to make it work. If you don't have the EGRs the intakes should have no build up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This has been on my mind a lot! How bad was it to get the intakes off? Are there gaskets that need to be replaced?

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,409 Posts
Subscribed. Need to do this, but too lazy for now....

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I recently replaced the right side Tandem Pump (I actually rebuilt it for $47) and the entire process was filled with learning that I'm now going to pass along to everyone else. The biggest learning experience was cleaning the black exhaust build up from the throttle and intake manifolds. If you try carb and choke cleaner you are going to make a big mess. If you try brushes you are going to make a big mess.

I used a gallon of "Super Heavy Duty Degreaser" from Harbor Freight and soaked the intake in my kitchen sink (I'm not married and can do this...) overnight and literally the next morning I had a solid black, oily liquid in my sink and when I drained it and rinsed the intakes they looked new, both inside and out. For $10 and no scrubbing, you can clean these to new condition.

My Touareg has 138K miles and the throttles had a half inch of gunk and the inside of the manifold probably had a quarter of an inch. The most INTERESTING, but not surprising part, was the rumble at idle when in Drive or Reverse (which there are other post about) has decreased by 75-80% from being able to breath better.
So the harbor freight cleaner says don't use on aluminium. Did you dilute it at all or use it full strength?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
So the harbor freight cleaner says don't use on aluminium. Did you dilute it at all or use it full strength?
I used the big 5 gallon ChemDip, full strength. You will need to turn them over to get the whole manifold covered. Afterwards they were clean but somewhat mottled in appearance. So I bought a cheap tractor supply blasting cabinet and glass-beaded them to a beautiful satin finish. Now I just try to avoid touching them they are so pretty.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I used the big 5 gallon ChemDip, full strength. You will need to turn them over to get the whole manifold covered. Afterwards they were clean but somewhat mottled in appearance. So I bought a cheap tractor supply blasting cabinet and glass-beaded them to a beautiful satin finish. Now I just try to avoid touching them they are so pretty.
Does that chem dip say don't use on aluminium?

This harbor freight stuff definitely does say don't use on aluminium, but it also really chews into the soot. I'm trying it but I'm keeping an eye on the progress.

I have everything else cleaned and just have the intakes to clean. Hoping to get things reassembled tomorrow.

Font Art Machine Auto part Visual arts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

This harbor freight stuff definitely does say don't use on aluminium, but it also really chews into the soot. I'm trying it but I'm keeping an eye on the progress.

I have everything else cleaned and just have the intakes to clean. Hoping to get things reassembled tomorrow.

View attachment 252413

View attachment 252413
The Berryman ChemDip says safe for all metals.

View attachment 252413

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

View attachment 252413
Harbor freight? I wouldn't even use a paper towel from them 👎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts