Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just acquired a 2005 v10 with 113k on the clock, full vw history, massive book full of receipts. the car has been great up until now.
i am basically experiencing when the vehicle naturally slows down it doesnt hold its gears. this problem is from 4th to 1st ( none of the gears / engine are holding the revs, they are just dropping down to 600 rpm ) 4th and 5th are fine. the car drives fine no noises just the gears are not being held. once you the go back to put some gas on the peddel it brings the revs back up to where it thinks it should be then performs normally untill you take your foot off the pedal again.
also in the trip side of things it will not go over 3rd?
i am massively panicing as this s my first issue with the car and have only had it two weeks.
an anyone help or advise.
many thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This is probably the best guy in the UK for auto boxes and has been strongly recommended by Honest John of the DT for many years.

King Automatic Gearboxes in Epsom

If I were in your shoes, I would call him on Monday, have a chat and if he thinks he can help then, having looked up your company, I'd get up the M5/M4 to Epsom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank you, i certainly will pick up the phone to him first thing on monday.
have you or anyone ever experienced such a thing?
do you think it might be as simple as a sensor?
thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ideally, you should find someone with VCDS - also known as VAG-COM - to run a scan for you to see what faults come up.

Join the UK site: www.mytreg.com

There is a list of member with VCDS but I don't know if there's one close to you.

Post your problem there too to broaden your audience.

In the meantime, do try a gearbox reset:

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The gearbox "memory" has been cleared and it is now back to factory setting.

The box will now learn all over again, how you drive.

It may restore things, I suspect it won't, but it's free and worth a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much noobytoogy.
will try this in the morning and let you know if there is any difference.
will also gin up to the mytreg.
thank you again, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Suggest you do/get done a transmission fluid change/service. The car is new to you and may have done serious towing. Trannys like everything need good (fresh)oil. By all means talk to Nooby's man. Cheers Dub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts