Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I absolutely love love love my 2004 Touareg TDI.

I bought it just under a year ago for my wife, but I ended up driving more than she did. About 3 months ago, I started noticing an occasional small amount of smoke/steam coming out from under the hood after a long uphill or hard acceleration. It was so small I hardly thought anything about it. I then started getting a misfire on cyl 1. Then a knock. Anyways long story short, I believed I scarred my cylinder wall and figured I'd get the ball rolling for search of another engine. Are all v10 tdi engines interchangeable for the touareg?

Let me know what/if anyone has out there has a V10 engine with low miles preferable.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good plan to start looking for one now, but what's the mileage on yours, and what's your maintenance history like? Can you describe your knock or provide a video? These engines can clear 300k miles if maintained, so you'd do well to rule it out rather than tie a bunch of money up on a spare engine when yours is fine.

Make sure your batteries are both good, have your oil analyzed for silicon, aluminum, chromium, and iron, pull the valve covers to inspect the camshafts, and pull the intake manifolds to clean carbon buildup from EGR. As for underhood smoke, there is a very good chance it's a cracked EGR tube or exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
First off I absolutely love love love my 2004 Touareg TDI.

I bought it just under a year ago for my wife, but I ended up driving more than she did. About 3 months ago, I started noticing an occasional small amount of smoke/steam coming out from under the hood after a long uphill or hard acceleration. It was so small I hardly thought anything about it. I then started getting a misfire on cyl 1. Then a knock. Anyways long story short, I believed I scarred my cylinder wall and figured I'd get the ball rolling for search of another engine. Are all v10 tdi engines interchangeable for the touareg?

Let me know what/if anyone has out there has a V10 engine with low miles preferable.
Might not help being so far away but I know a guy with a R50 engine with 60k miles that may be open to offers but shipping would be a lot

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As wonderful as that r50 sounds, I couldn't justify to the wife spending as much money on a used engine as I did the truck itself.

Redneck- it has 125000 miles and is knocking pretty bad. Haven't been home long enough to do a compression test but I think I already know what the results are going to be...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dam shame mate, chances of finding a good engine are probably slim.

you would think somebody would make a kit to fit an alternate engine into the treg?

Maybe one day we will be able to just send a file to a 3D printer and print an engine.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Makes me wonder if i was in a similar situation what would i do....get a used engine which could have some issues or a brand new at a reasonable price- last sold here at a dealer went for $10000.
Perhaps a new one....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Where are you located (I'm in Pa)? Are you interested in selling the vehicle?

·
Registered
418 Posts
What about buying an entire V10 Touareg with a V10 that has all the stuff fixed on it. One with great service history etc. Then part out the rest of the car. What ever you do Good Luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
So, let's see here. The symptoms are a little steam/smoke after a heavy load on the engine, then misfires and a knock from cylinder #1, and with that information you're jumping right to a scarred cylinder wall and a complete engine replacement as your solution? Are you sure it isn't just a bad $35 glow plug? Did you use a borescope to look inside the combustion chamber? I think there are likely many other things that could create the symptoms you're seeing - you really should exhaust all the cheaper possibilities before spending such huge money on an engine replacement. That said, if you do end up needing to spend that kind of money, is repairing it an option? Has anyone ever bored/stroked a V10 diesel before? If that is in fact an option, perhaps this could be an opportunity for a very nice HP/torque increase!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have to admit that my diesel knowledge is way at the bottom of the scale, but I can't say I saw much in the way of causes and repair options in this thread aside from a focus on the engine replacement option. Just trying to help save the OP some dough suggesting that he rules out less expensive options first...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oops - I take that back - I do see that you did in fact offer lots of ideas. Sorry about that, my brain seems to be running exceptionally slowly this morning...

·
Registered
508 Posts
No worries! All input is appreciated. Unfortunately, since many v10 repairs require engine removal and many v10 owners aren't tinkerers and don't like down time, IF the engine is rebuildable, it can be done after the replacement.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Makes sense. So is it possible to bore and stroke a v10 diesel for more power or is that more of a gasoline engine type thing...?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Makes sense. So is it possible to bore and stroke a v10 diesel for more power or is that more of a gasoline engine type thing...?
Not likely to be successful (at least for very many miles). The factory V10 cylinder bores are surface melted using a proprietary laser process which fuses a microscopic layer of very hard oxide onto the cylinder wall. Some of the early failures of the process manifested as a progressive surface defect/scar on the bore of cyl #1. There were some manufacturing process control issues which allowed that on SOME of the early cars.
The engine CAN be bored a small amount but being able to perform the laser fusion process is problematical at best. Even then, since the casting was not designed to be bored, the wall thickness between the cylinders and the water jacket parts would have to be CAREFULLY researched. I've heard of NO ONE who has attempted it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't ruled out all of the other options, but to my best assessment this far it is the cylinder wall. I didn't want to get too deep into the problems in the classifieds, but since we're already here... There was also metallic nonmagnetic shavings in the oil when I changed it and they crumble when I touch it. The car was about 2 quarts low when I changed it, but no leak. It's possible the shop put incorrect oil in it right before I bought it. I don't know. The sound went from a tick to a hard knock in a couple hundred miles. I do tinker with cars, but there's no way I'd risk working on this thing. Anyone know a good V10 Touareg mechanic in the West Virgina, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania area? My own dealer said they wont touch it.

Quattro- I'd be willing to sell, but I've got too much in it. I love it and would only get another one anyways. I'm in PA quite often.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hey bud,

I'm in same boat as you, looking for a V10 engine.
Best way to diagnose it is to run a compression test on cyl 1 via the glow plug, accessible from the top of the engine, without undoing anything at all. I can't see this test costing more than 100$ if someone's knowledgeable on how to perform it.
I got half the compression needed on my Cyl 1, 150 instead of 300. Was getting misfire codes, but took it apart before it got worse.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts