Club Touareg Forum banner

V10 DPF Additive

20K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  magyarhans 
#1 ·
Well, heading back to Melb from BrisVegas on the weekend, towing a caravan and 10 mins before the Toowoomba Range I get an "Engine Fault - Workshop!" warning on the MFD and a flashing Diesel Coils lamp. Pull over, switch off, restart and cleared error, all good !! WTF!?!

Drive on and exactly 10 mins later happens again. Same process cures it and off to go. Unfortunately, this reoccurs EVERY 10 mins for the next day and a half, all the way to Dubbo where the nearest VW dealer resides.

Tuesday am and they hook the car up 1st thing, run the Guided Diagnostic Report and find that the DPF fluid tank is empty. It SHOULD have been drained and replaced at the recent 90K service (only 10 days ago). Unfortunately only 3L in stock but enough to get me back to Melb. 5L is supposed to last 90K. Everything else reported is fine.

So now I get to go to my dealer in Melb and beat them up over this issue and try to get them to wear the cost of the fix-up and topping up the fluid to 5L.

Have to say the Dubbo VW dealers were very helpful, given they were short handed and fully booked, they got in and sorted me very well. Can't fault them at all. Although telling me they'd never worked on a V10 before didn't help my confidence, but apparently 85% of their business are diesel commercials.

So just over 900km, towing a caravan, stopping every 10 mins to turn the car off and restart made for a VERY long and SLOW trip. Interestingly there were no changes to the cars performance or behavior regardless of the warnings!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Not AdBlu. The DPF additive for VW diesel cars of that year 'down under' is a very special (and expensive) fluid containing rare earth additives that catalyze the reaction in the DPF filter. AdBlu takes care of NOx, DPF takes care of particulates.

#4 ·
catalystgod said:
Don't you mean AdBlue Urea and not DPF? Also, why did you not just keep driving?
As Fourdiesel stated, it's a different additive for my year / model - 2009 R50. Also, when they chuck an "Engine Fault Workshop" error, ignoring it and continuing to drive will force the vehicle into "limp-home" mode. And in rural Oz, with towns regularly 100-200km apart, that is not a good option.

End result - 3L of DPF additive @ $170/l plus labour =$770 bill. Not to mention additional accommodation and inconvenience costs, plus I still need to get the +2 liters of additive done by my dealer upon return. That will prove an interesting conversation!!

#5 ·
This is some special stuff that V10 owners know nothing about until their dealer suddenly tells them its GB£1,000 to refill a tank they didn't know existed!

Someone found the same stuff available at a lot lower price for DIY refills.

#18 ·
I did my own, ford cars run the same stuff and it can be purchased much cheaper than 170/ litre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.