Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any big problems when it comes to the TDI V10? I am in the market, I have a 99TDI Beetle for my wife and she loves it. The little thing gets 50MPG and that's why I got it for her, but in my research I found that getting an automatic was a death wish because they usually only last up to 100-150K. The Beetle now has 180K on the factory 5 speed without and problems at all. Any comments on the V10 I should be looking to avoid or looking for when shopping?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just search for driveshaft on the board and you'll get a much better explanation than I can provide... VW used the same driveshaft on the V6, V8 and the TDI... no big surprise that the torque from the V10 is a little much for those to handle. The replacement parts are updated and upgraded to compensate. My advice to this is to avoid the dealer if you can...there are driveshaft shops that can get you one for much cheaper than the dealer.

That's the only real big corrective maintenance that we've had on our rig... we love every minute of the rest of it. Just remember that you're buying/driving a $70k rig and be prepared for the costs that go with that...it's definitely not a vehicle for the weak of wallet.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2.

Centre bearing fails - common problem.

Use the search facility - lots of stuff available if you sit down for a couple of hours and do some research.

Get a good warranty.

·
Registered
579 Posts
get a 2008.. then no center bearing/drive shaft issues.

other common issues... speeding tickets, big grins on your face, stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
get a 2008.. then no center bearing/drive shaft issues.

other common issues... speeding tickets, big grins on your face, stuff like that.
You're lucky you're in the States where you don't get the R50! Why? Bigger speeding tickets, bigger grins, etc. It must be the colour or the big wheels or body bits, it can't be my granny like driving, surely?! John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nevermind I found it. Thanks for the help. I am seeing different problems having to do with the air suspension too. Comments?

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
no problems with air and i have it on both my Touareg and Q7. It's a complex car.. things can break.. but other than things like the drive shaft and a leaky sunroof (early models) there really arn't any issues. in general a Touareg is an complex and expensive car to fix... the V10 is even more so. Even maintance is more than your typical car... if you are looking at getting a v10 (any year) you need to have deep pockets to maintain and fix it.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
A lot of good points, the reality is they are $70K vehicles when sold new so expect that level of complexity and parts cost. Any vehicle in that price range will be complex, and will require more expensive maintenance than the average vehicle that costs $25K new.

That said I don't think there are any V10 only problem areas other than some of the early models having turbo oil leak issues. the driveshaft is a problem on all engine types as are the other usual suspects

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
And they can be done for much less than half the price he'll charge!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A lot of good points, the reality is they are $70K vehicles when sold new so expect that level of complexity and parts cost. Any vehicle in that price range will be complex, and will require more expensive maintenance than the average vehicle that costs $25K new.
Sound advice. Without a warranty you might need very deep pockets.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts