Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, many thanks for everyone on this forum for years of help keeping our 4 Touaregs on the road (just sold my daughter's with 285K miles replaced with a T2 with 160K). Touaregs have proven to be the perfect kids cars, reliable and most importantly as a Dad...SAFE!

This is my first post, I have hit the limit of my knowledge. My favorite car ever, my 5.0l TDI recently started making noises. Accelerating from a stop I thought I had an exhaust leak but turned out to be a "pop" from back pressure in Bank 1 air intake? I can squeeze the rubber intake and it feels like it has a pulse? Removing the rubber intakes on both sides shows a big difference in sound from Bank 1 to Bank 2?

So is it time for new camshafts?

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes
A lifter has worn through.
Out of curiosity, what is your mileage?
We in NA with 2006’s and later have dpf’s which need low ash oils, no longer sold as 5-40. One cannot use cam-protective additives because of cats and dpf’s. I’m at 126k and just holding my breath til it happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greatly appreciate your "second opinion", thank you! I spoke with Geoff at Colt Cams and will probably move forward with his cams...Geoff was terrific to talk with, very knowledgeable. He had some great advice on black nitrate lifters (remove the springs).

My 07 V10 has 190,000 miles, bought it with 92k. Don't know what was done before I purchased it but there was evidence they had just dropped the engine shortly before I bought it (they forgot the clip that holds the turbo linkage on). So I have put on about 100K miles without any major issues. Have had to replace one throttle body, repair wire splice under drivers carpet, A/C o rings, front wheel bearings, 2x air shock valves, brakes/rotors, a bunch of headlight modules/two door modules/batteries and I just replaced the drive shaft (have to drop the rear subframe to get the shaft out - unlike V8's).

I have been careful to use 507 spec oil, not so careful with intervals. A couple of times I had almost a year pass between changes. The most interesting oil I used a couple of times was european XADO with "revitalizant", it was a close out at a distributor, can't get it now. Maybe that is why my lifter is worn through, so much for bargains:)

My plan, open to suggestions, is to install new cams with the engine in the vehicle. I know at some point I'll have to do DPF and turbo work but I just retired and don't put many miles on so maybe I can get another year or two on the DPF's? I don't have access to a lift. I also hope maybe I can replace the O2 and pressure sensors with the valve covers and pumps off the back?

This is my favorite car ever, even with bad cams. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Greatly appreciate your "second opinion", thank you! I spoke with Geoff at Colt Cams and will probably move forward with his cams...Geoff was terrific to talk with, very knowledgeable. He had some great advice on black nitrate lifters (remove the springs).

My 07 V10 has 190,000 miles, bought it with 92k. Don't know what was done before I purchased it but there was evidence they had just dropped the engine shortly before I bought it (they forgot the clip that holds the turbo linkage on). So I have put on about 100K miles without any major issues. Have had to replace one throttle body, repair wire splice under drivers carpet, A/C o rings, front wheel bearings, 2x air shock valves, brakes/rotors, a bunch of headlight modules/two door modules/batteries and I just replaced the drive shaft (have to drop the rear subframe to get the shaft out - unlike V8's).

I have been careful to use 507 spec oil, not so careful with intervals. A couple of times I had almost a year pass between changes. The most interesting oil I used a couple of times was european XADO with "revitalizant", it was a close out at a distributor, can't get it now. Maybe that is why my lifter is worn through, so much for bargains:)

My plan, open to suggestions, is to install new cams with the engine in the vehicle. I know at some point I'll have to do DPF and turbo work but I just retired and don't put many miles on so maybe I can get another year or two on the DPF's? I don't have access to a lift. I also hope maybe I can replace the O2 and pressure sensors with the valve covers and pumps off the back?

This is my favorite car ever, even with bad cams. Thanks again!
Hey if you do replace the cams with the engine still in situ step by step pictures would help others decide witch way to do the job when necessary ( me included ) good luck. by the way i have just removed the primary cats to delete them with the engine in situ these have the O2 sensors in them so the O2 sensors can be changed without removing the engine. all the best Vaughan.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
First, many thanks for everyone on this forum for years of help keeping our 4 Touaregs on the road (just sold my daughter's with 285K miles replaced with a T2 with 160K). Touaregs have proven to be the perfect kids cars, reliable and most importantly as a Dad...SAFE!

This is my first post, I have hit the limit of my knowledge. My favorite car ever, my 5.0l TDI recently started making noises. Accelerating from a stop I thought I had an exhaust leak but turned out to be a "pop" from back pressure in Bank 1 air intake? I can squeeze the rubber intake and it feels like it has a pulse? Removing the rubber intakes on both sides shows a big difference in sound from Bank 1 to Bank 2?

Appreciate your help!
It does sound like you might have bad cams BUT - it is cheap and simple to confirm this by doing a used oil analysis - I use Blackstone, they have a huge database of wear examples on many engines. If the UOA comes back with high iron [and maybe chrome?] content the cam(s) and lifters are probably toast. I would follow their recommendation. Goeff might have additional info also about what to look for.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
A quick removal of the valve cover will show you the condition of the cams and lifters. It’s an hour long job. Most likely the cam can be done in car, some have done it before. It will be time consuming for the first timer.

I don’t know much about the timing of the cams/ lifters failure. I bought a used 2004 and it has 200k on it. When I pulled the valve cover I was surprised how good it looked and asked the previous owner if he had changed the cams. Nope original, my other 2004 was ok also but did show a little wear. I guess it’s a wait and see. But definitely pull the cover to confirm before ruling out any other possibilities.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Appreciate your help!
If you live close to Columbus, OH you could go to a mechanic who has so far replaced two sets of V10 cams. He is really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
TouaregNut
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing