Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V10 has been lacking power and surging under acceleration so thought I'd fit some boost gauges to see what the boost was doing..I'll run through how I did it to help anyone who wants to do the same..
I had removed the intake manifolds for cleaning a while ago, and while they were off I drilled a hole in each one and tapped a 1/4" BSP thread. See photo for location. They could have beed back and down a little from where I drilled my holes...DO NOT DRILL AND TAP HOLES IN YOUR MANIFOLD WITHOUT REMOVING THEM so they can be properly cleaned of any metal shavings.
My Reg is rhd so im not sure if the grommits I plumbed the hoses through will be there on lhd models.
I removed the centre dash comparment above the radio, 2 screws at the front, then pulls out easy.
I drill 2 10mm holes for the wires and hoses in the back of the compartment and drilled 2 holes for the mounting bracket in the bottom and counter sunk the holes underneath and bolted the bracket on. Then fitted the gauges with the wires and hoses hanging out the back.
I removed the roof of the glove compartment, 3 screws at the back and unclip the metel/ woodgrain strip, I then plumbed the wires and hoses through the gromit on the left side of where the centre compartment came out.
Now the hard bit...I remover the cover at the left rear of the engine bay and removed a grommit from the fire wall. I tried and tried to find a path through to the space behind the glove compartment...but couldn't. ..I then used a stiff wire ( a UHF Aerial) and pushed and poked around in a downward/ outwards direction and finally got it through. But I had poked it through several layers of insulation. I then pushed a piece of hard plastic tube (10mm) over the stiff wire. Then removed the stiff wire and fed through some soft wire then attached the two boost hoses and pulled them through then removed the plastic pipe. Then fed the hoses through a grommit into the engine bay and attached them to the manifolds.
For the lights I used power from the glove box light (they need power at all times as they have a selection of colored lights built in that can be changed at the push of a button so red is easy!) and light swich power from the light in the lhs vent controler.
All works good...no problems with boost..20psi both sides..
Can't seem to attach photos from my phone...I'll post em later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Epic fail and Some pics

I made 1 tiny error, I wired the boost gauge lights into the glove compartment light....now they only work if you turn the lights on and open the glove compartment!! a job for another day.

20140116_111741.jpg

20140116_111832.jpg

20140116_112007.jpg

20140116_112218.jpg

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good thread - this should boost your reputation on here!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Noobytoogy,
I just realised that I didn't have a pic of the final product.
I'll put one up soon!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will order a Ross-Tech Vagcom next week to help with the low power/surging problem. But earlier this week I bled some diesel from the fuel filter into a bottle.
It was creamy in color with some water at the bottom. I then removed the covers under the rear seats and opened the fuel tank on both sides and drained the diesel out and added freash fuel and an injector cleaner (fuel set, made by liquid engineering)
It has been going better but still not perfect... but I've only driven about 100 kms so far.
Maybe it will continue to improve over time. And I'll put new filters in soon although the ones in there have done less than 1000kms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20140120_100827.jpg

The final product!

I ordered a Ross Tech VagCom today... should have done it last year when the exchange rate was in my favor!!!
VagCom...$349
Postage...$99
Total.......$448 US dollars
Total.......$530 Aussie dollars
But at least I'll have one now and it will probably pay for itself over time...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a video of My Reg in one of it's moods:mad:
Can't wait to get that VagCom...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let me guess it goes in intermittently? an engine restart and it goes ok?

Have you scanned it yet? it looks like limp mode or if not the turbo controller could be failing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, if you restart it it goes better but still not very well really..
I got the vagcom and scanned it. There were a few faults there so I cleared them and it still does the same but I've rescanned and no codes are there...
Also it's not always the left side that shuts off the boost...it can be either side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Next time it has the faults can you post them here - if not pm them to me.

The only other thing I'm thinking it could be is oil in the air side, when I bought mine it had a really bad boost leak which had been present for a good while, this had caused blow by on one of the turbos and the intercooler had filled with oil. We fixed this and cleaned the intercooler. And in 20000 miles its been fine, I now know the turbo was quite new the boost leak 100% caused this.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Next time it has the faults can you post them here - if not pm them to me.

The only other thing I'm thinking it could be is oil in the air side, when I bought mine it had a really bad boost leak which had been present for a good while, this had caused blow by on one of the turbos and the intercooler had filled with oil. We fixed this and cleaned the intercooler. And in 20000 miles its been fine, I now know the turbo was quite new the boost leak 100% caused this.

V10 , Andy
Check my intake pressure test verify intake system integrity.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/pressure-test-v10-intake-system-92033.html

You probably don't want to hear, it im thinking one of your Ecu,s

regards
Drag

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Andy and Drag.
I have checked for leaks on rhs and didn't find anything. But I did notice a lot of oil in the intercooler and just thought it would pass through over time.
I will clean out both sides and see what it goes like then...
Also Drag, the vag com said my aircon was low on gas. ..can anyone tell what the pressure should be? Is it in that info you sent me?

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,453 Posts
V10 , Andy
Check my intake pressure test verify intake system integrity.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/pressure-test-v10-intake-system-92033.html

You probably don't want to hear, it im thinking one of your Ecu,s

regards
Drag
Not to mention, if you got one bad ECU, you have to change both for the system to function. It doesn't allow you to pair an old ecu with a new one. The cost of 2 new ECUs is about 3000 USD. Thank the gods for extended warranty. phew!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Not to mention, if you got one bad ECU, you have to change both for the system to function. It doesn't allow you to pair an old ecu with a new one. The cost of 2 new ECUs is about 3000 USD. Thank the gods for extended warranty. phew!

For those who do not have extended warranty

Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange
They assure me they can repair failed units and in our case you need to send the second unit to be recoded or wiped what ever it needs as both units are the same and are set to position when installed.

I have no doubts that there are others that can do this not just throw the ECU away

regards
Drag

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nope, another myth about the V10... Its a pair of Bosch EDC16 Ecu's any good chip tuner shoud be able to download the flash and recode a new or second hand ecu.

Many of the guys on the Audi and Skoda forums have swapped and mapped there own ECU's and ones of the evil bay. Its something I'm thinking about doing as I suspect my poor fuel economy is down to a poor map.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts