Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering purchasing a V10 Treg2 and am curious about how versatile the fuel systems are. I have access to as much Jet A as I can use and would like to run it as concentrated as possible with out creating a problem with the fuel system or turbos.

I know some engines have issues with anything but straight Diesel (injectors in powerstroke and dmax engines) and was wondering what the potential problems are that burning 50-100% Jet A in a V10 would cause, if any.

I don't really have any interest in the VR6 v6 engine, I test drove a V10 a few years ago and love the power. Its either the V10 or nothing for me if I go the VW route.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I doubt the fuel will concur with the tandem pump and intank fuel pumps. Not to mention the possible lack of lubrication in the injectors.

If you buy a v10 you shouldn't be cheaping out. You should be spending money on it by means of feeding it good fuel, changing oils and filters often and reading up on matters regarding the car.

Do NOT use jet A fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a matter of "cheaping out", its using a resource that is available to me... And I think having this conversation counts as reading up on matters regarding the car/engine :)

I tried doing some searches on the subject and most of what I found was in French or german (literally). What design characteristic within the Tandem pump or injectors do you think will not play nice with Jet A? I understand the lubricating proparties of Jet A are not on par with pump diesel and that is why powerstroke injectors will not last as long as normal with alternative fuels.

Are the design of the V10 injectors different than the other TDI injectors? I have more than a few friends who have successfully burned WMO, Jet A, Bio, Grease and a dozen blends of the above for quite a few trouble free miles in TDI Jetta's.

·
Registered
480 Posts
if you ever try to use JET-A , make sure you use a lubricity additive,
also JET A has higher sulphur levels , I'm not sure how will that mess with EGR engines ,
and do not expect any good MPG from jet Fuel .

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
snip

Are the design of the V10 injectors different than the other TDI injectors? I have more than a few friends who have successfully burned WMO, Jet A, Bio, Grease and a dozen blends of the above for quite a few trouble free miles in TDI Jetta's.
The V10 Pump Deuse (PD) injectors are VERY different from the old Jetta/Golf ALH injectors. DO searches on here and on TDIClub for design descriptions of the PD injectors. Functionally they are a small injection pump - complete - on each cylinder. They are driven by a separate cam lobe on the camshaft at each cylinder. If Jet-A does NOT exceed the lubrication specs of commercial D2 diesel then DO NOT use it in the V10 engine! The PD injectors are VERY sensitive to fuel lubricity!
The money you save by replacing all/part of your D2 with Jet A is very unlikely to come even close to the cost of replacing all 10 PD injectors. Ever. Even if the Jet A is FREE!

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
I'm far from an expert but will share some insight on what I have seen in the past when looking for a v10 for my corvette conversion and my ownership of 3 v10's. Most of the v10s I have found for sale with engine damage have suspected use of incorrect oil or fuel. Biodiesel is a big problem for the PD engines. I don't know about the fuel are thinking of using but my personal use that has worked for me is to use the same fuel and oil always. Change the fuel filter every 10k and work the turbos.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Buy a Huey or an F4, they both ran great on Jet A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts