Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 V10 with 204,xxx km has spat the alternator. Thankfully (sort of) the day before I was about to go camping/off-roading.

While searching around for reconditioned units, I found this very well priced unit...
(https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ultima-4536/charging---starting-16772/alternator-11425/f7cab2ae3cc0/ultima-190-amp-alternator-remanufactured/r110415a/4602097/2004/volkswagen/touareg?q=Alternator&pos=1) US$267.99 (plus $70 core deposit)

But I also found a repair kit for a very similar Delphi 190a water-cooled alternator. (Mercedes)
(ARK104 Delphi 190 Amp Water cooled ALTERNATOR REPAIR KIT to fit Mercedes | Bearing.sg)

The website shows a heap of cross reference part numbers, but I can't seem to link any of them around and back to the VW unit.

I plan to pull the unit from the car and see what I can gather from the parts to confirm compatibility. Either by part numbers or physical measurements.

Has anybody else done this exercise already and I'm wasting my time?

(side note: What items should I consider replacing/removing while having it apart?) EGR in the bin?

Regards,
Paul.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You probably already know this but the generator you've got is no longer made and I believe it may not be being remanufactured either.

So you if you have to fit a new genny you will need the adaptor kit as well to get it to fit.

If you do manage to repair it yourself please take some pix along the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably already know this but the generator you've got is no longer made and I believe it may not be being remanufactured either.

So you if you have to fit a new genny you will need the adaptor kit as well to get it to fit.

If you do manage to repair it yourself please take some pix along the way.
They're not available new, but they are being reconditioned.
I called VW parts today and got quoted $1100, plus $275 core deposit, plus clutch. This was for a reconditioned Delphi unit.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You beat me to it! I went out for a few hours and came back to revisit your problem and I see that the Delphi is indeed being remanufactured.

The reason I came back to this thread is that I felt sure I recalled someone getting a local workshop to repair their generator quite cheaply but I can't find the damned post/thread.

If he doesn't join in on this thread I suggest you ping a PM to dragline1750 - he's in your neck of the woods so to speak [what's a mere 450 miles in Oz!].

·
Registered
200 Posts
You beat me to it! I went out for a few hours and came back to revisit your problem and I see that the Delphi is indeed being remanufactured.

The reason I came back to this thread is that I felt sure I recalled someone getting a local workshop to repair their generator quite cheaply but I can't find the damned post/thread.

If he doesn't join in on this thread I suggest you ping a PM to dragline1750 - he's in your neck of the woods so to speak [what's a mere 450 miles in Oz!].
Hey nooby its dragline 1570 not 1750.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I downloaded all the manuals from erWin last night so I'm ready to go.... at least until I find some obscure tool is required.
I have a set of triple hex so I'm at least one step ahead.

It's also super cold in Melbourne at the moment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've found the common number. LT744
Doing some video and image searching, I found some images showing Porsche, VW and Mercedes sharing this number on a Delphi 14v-190A unit.

The search continues...

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good luck, it will be interesting to see what you find also if you can get the parts you require. if and when my alt stops working i would rather repair it than fit the alternate one with the fitting kit.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hey nooby its dragline 1570 not 1750.
Bugger - that's some kind of Freudian slip from the mid 1970's when I had an Austin Allegro 1750! It was orange, had a square steering wheel and baby diarrhea upholstery, but you could make it motor along quite well.

I'm not doing very well on this thread but I shall still follow it to see if the OP fixes his generator!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far I've found two variants of the regulator for Mercedes. It seems the only car manufacturer I can find reference to.

1. (DE1650) Voltage Set Point 14.3V B Circuit With Soft Start Over voltage, under voltage lamp OE compliant ASVR technology
2. (DE1750) Voltage Set Point 14.9V B Circuit With Soft Start

Do we have any idea what the voltage set point is for VW?
14.9 to suit AGM batteries?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Here's hoping your persistence will pay off!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's hoping your persistence will pay off!
me too.
I'm a believer of "if it can be fixed, I can do it too I just need to find out how"

It's just a shame VW try to close information and parts like this away from the DIY.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I did mine a few months ago. First I bought just a regulator. For me (2006) it was the most difficult job I’ve done in 40 years of wrenching. So when I finally got the unit out I was not gonna take any chances on it being more than just a regulator. Returned the regulator, bought the rebuilt from VW along with a new overrun clutch, coupler and seal. Even with the special seal installer tool I ruined the first seal and had to order another. I found the torque to stretch fuel rail bolts had crumbling torx heads. Bought a special Mercedes T 30 (?) for fear of rounding out the heads and being dead in the water. The oil filler is a real PITA with rear facing torx heads and very little clearance to the egr. I had to shorten bits to reach several bolts, especially the egr. Be careful not to lose the bushings stuck in the feet of the generator. Order 2 new seals for the water pipe connections. Stuff the valley full so you don’t drop anything down there, never to be found. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on this...
I have finally pulled the alternator. It's taken me a lot longer than expected. Good thing I have a back-up car.
Long hours of work, limited free time, and a heap of cold/flu through the household don't make a good recipe.

Anyway, it is out now.
Short story is I won't be proceeding with the rebuild. I'll be getting a reco unit.
While I was able to find part numbers, finding somewhere to purchase them from proved difficult and the ones I did find ended up expensive once international postage was included.
The cost saving to rebuild myself only ended up being about $400, (A mate was able to get trade price) and for that I figure why own the risk myself.

Inspection showed very stiff rear bearing and subsequently very worn housing, seized one-way pulley, front bearing no good, brushes worn down to nubs, slip rings likely to wear through very soon, and minor contact between the rotor and stator.
(video of rear bearing play in housing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-9UCB3DIVFXNRqkmI2Dni72PqAgB3GUZ)

Getting to this point I've discovered the wonder of Slovakian wiring subjected to heat cycles....
Wires to the alternator are very stiff so I will probably pull back the loom a bit and replace these.
Wires to fuel water sensor have crumbled requiring repair.
Glow plug rubber boots are all broken (interestingly one glow plug was not connected, yet didn't throw a code)

O-rings to the EGR and shut-off valve will be required on the drivers side thanks to a previous 'repair'.

Incidentally, EGR and PCV are getting canned after seeing the crud inside the manifold. Yuck!
(Video scraping some gunk out of a port: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cfGFsmPw3YxcUoP7)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
PJMax
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing