Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post guys. I have an A/C question and it’s June in South Louisiana; enough said. I’ve scoured the search results for months and haven’t found much information which is why I’m creating a new post in hopes someone could offer some insight.

At any rate, because I don’t trust my local dealership, I brought the car to an independent shop to diagnose, who I’ve known for years and do trust, and he stated the compressor relief valve was either broken or had been relieved and lost all refrigerant. Sounds strange to me but ok… He said it needs a new compressor which of course by the book requires engine removal and it was obvious he was not very interested in taking it on. I’ve seen the post by V10aholic who accomplished without removing the engine and I am very keen to attempt.

My concern though is that if there is indeed a relief valve on the compressor, then something had to have caused it to release and wouldn’t it happen again with a new compressor if there is a restriction elsewhere in the system? Seems to me it would make more sense and cents to troubleshoot the overpressure first.

Does anyone know if this relief valve even exists? I’ve looked on numerous online parts catalogs to no avail. I just can’t fathom not being able to purchase this part alone. Or it just doesn’t exist. If someone has a part in hand, a pic would be awesome…

An additional consideration is that I absolutely love this car and is the longest I’ve ever kept a vehicle and believe it or not, has been the most reliable hands down. So, I really would like to keep it forever or as long as it’s feasible and I absolutely fear someone tearing into it and removing the engine that either doesn’t really want to (independent) or doesn’t know how (local dealer). But, I would think it again make sense and cents to take advantage of the engine being out and replace some things and remove the DPFs and install downpipes, etc… BUT, only at the hands of a willing and competent technician. If someone out there knows of an independent or dealer in the U.S. Gulf Coast area that they would trust, I am all ears.

Hope to hear from someone soon…

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Sorry for the long post guys. I have an A/C question and it’s June in South Louisiana; enough said. I’ve scoured the search results for months and haven’t found much information which is why I’m creating a new post in hopes someone could offer some insight.

At any rate, because I don’t trust my local dealership, I brought the car to an independent shop to diagnose, who I’ve known for years and do trust, and he stated the compressor relief valve was either broken or had been relieved and lost all refrigerant. Sounds strange to me but ok… He said it needs a new compressor which of course by the book requires engine removal and it was obvious he was not very interested in taking it on. I’ve seen the post by V10aholic who accomplished without removing the engine and I am very keen to attempt.

My concern though is that if there is indeed a relief valve on the compressor, then something had to have caused it to release and wouldn’t it happen again with a new compressor if there is a restriction elsewhere in the system? Seems to me it would make more sense and cents to troubleshoot the overpressure first.

Does anyone know if this relief valve even exists? I’ve looked on numerous online parts catalogs to no avail. I just can’t fathom not being able to purchase this part alone. Or it just doesn’t exist. If someone has a part in hand, a pic would be awesome…

An additional consideration is that I absolutely love this car and is the longest I’ve ever kept a vehicle and believe it or not, has been the most reliable hands down. So, I really would like to keep it forever or as long as it’s feasible and I absolutely fear someone tearing into it and removing the engine that either doesn’t really want to (independent) or doesn’t know how (local dealer). But, I would think it again make sense and cents to take advantage of the engine being out and replace some things and remove the DPFs and install downpipes, etc… BUT, only at the hands of a willing and competent technician. If someone out there knows of an independent or dealer in the U.S. Gulf Coast area that they would trust, I am all ears.

Hope to hear from someone soon…

Bit hard to say about the fault it could be a few items.
First and foremost you need a VCDS scan as the system is able to do a lot of checks on the compressor.
I will bet its not seized as mine used to fault on over pressure and it just needed the fault cleared to run again.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm asking here is if anyone has ever had just the relief valve fail and replaced only that as a separate component.

Also asking for a trusted dealership/independent in the area...

At any rate, I ran a scan and got the Low Refrigerant fault. It's already been diagnosed as stated by the independent who also ran dye and he said it poured right out.

I think it would be obvious if it was seized being it's shaft/gear driven...

Thanks though...

Bit hard to say about the fault it could be a few items.
First and foremost you need a VCDS scan as the system is able to do a lot of checks on the compressor.
I will bet its not seized as mine used to fault on over pressure and it just needed the fault cleared to run again.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
What I'm asking here is if anyone has ever had just the relief valve fail and replaced only that as a separate component.

Also asking for a trusted dealership/independent in the area...

At any rate, I ran a scan and got the Low Refrigerant fault. It's already been diagnosed as stated by the independent who also ran dye and he said it poured right out.

I think it would be obvious if it was seized being it's shaft/gear driven...

Thanks though...
Well some of that info could have been mentioned in the first post.
Got a few ideas and comments what your issue is as I had the same compressor removed from a R5 Touareg last week.

But you will get all that info from your service guy that gets recommended to you.

Regards
Drag

1 - 4 of 4 Posts