Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 V10 and it's now sitting at a VW with what we think could be a blown head gasket. 100,000 miles. The VW dealer is in LA and I live in the Bay Area. I am considering having it trailered up to the shop I use here ( well known independent VW only shop) What I am reading is that this is an engine out affair and the labor rates at a dealer are not all that attractive vs an independent shop that is near by. Who knows if it really is a head gasket. It just sucks down coolant and now there are traces of water in the pan. Hopefully not major damage has been done

Open all suggestions?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sure sounds like a head gasket. Almost anything (except for plug wires! LOL!) on the V10 seems to be an engine-out affair. :- (

I'd have it towed home on a roll-back (AAA Plus gets you the first 100 miles FREE!) and have your trusted local mechanic fix it. If you have an out of town shop do it, they know you're stuck with them and may or may not overcharge you. And locally, it's easier to keep up on progress.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It could be where the oil filter housing attaches to the block in between the cylinder heads. There is a gasket that keeps coolant on one side and oil on the other. I personally haven't seen a head gasket go bad on a V10, but anything is possible. I'm sure others will chime in. But if it is a head gasket, it is definitely an engine out job.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long story short it was the water pump. The VW dealer in LA was trying to convince me that it had a cracked block. The seller on eBay was aware of it but did not disclose it. eBay paid for the repair. During the discovery process I found a near perfect 07 V10 with all the records since new. I bought it and sold the eBay car. I know have about 142k on the 2nd Treg. I use it mostly to tow our Airstream. I can't think of a better tow vehicle. The key is to maintain it by the book and change the oil about every 4000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Vanster. that is what i hoped you would say....Very helpful. 199K on my v10 rig. Purchsed years ago with 82K... I hope to keep it going . Regards, ctpilot.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries, I'm pleased that I could help. Keep in mind that the water pump is very small and the way the bushing works it's hard to tell if it's bad or not. One must really study it then you will see how it fails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts