Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen numerous old threads noting that the backup light is poor

Is there anything out there that doesn't require modifications, simply a replacement bulb that improves the rear lighting?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not sure. I just looked, and I couldn't find anything. My brother acting told me the same thing about the canbus thing too.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, I believe that is the way to go. But I've read the wrong bulb can cause CanBus problems.
Is there a recommended or tested bulb?
I've been thinking the same. The pain we have here in Ontario is find a supplies that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

I did change my plate bulbs with CANBUS friendly LED.

Let me a have a quick look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally figured out how to replace my reverse lights in my T1 with LED's and have them work properly. I've tried numerous LED bulbs that were "CANBUS error free" but the car was too smart and would throw a bulb error, and actually cut power to the reverse lights after a half second of them coming on.

If I tested an LED bulb in just one side, it worked fine - but not when both sides had an LED bulb.

I ended up having to splice in one of these resistors (just to one side) to trick the car into thinking it had an incandescent bulb in place: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GQ2TC14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you trace back the metal surrounds on the bulb carrier you can figure out which wires on the harness to cut/splice. The included splice kit didn't work well enough for me, I cut and strip the wires and used crimp connectors and heat shrink to make a proper connection.

I used these bulbs but I'm sure once you have a resistor in there any LED that's Bay9s/H21W will work: 2x Error Free White Bay9s H21W 64136 24-SMD LED Bulbs for VW CC Backup Lights | eBay

Definitely worth having the brighter/whiter LED reverse bulbs!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone installed the SBL LED's? How much improvement over stock bulb, I am really dispointed in how dim the originals are. I do not know how to compare the brightenss of the SBL's vs deAutoKey for the added cost! Has any one had any problems with the SBL's? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone installed the SBL LED's? How much improvement over stock bulb, I am really dispointed in how dim the originals are. I do not know how to compare the brightenss of the SBL's vs deAutoKey for the added cost! Has any one had any problems with the SBL's? Thanks!!!
Thanks for your interest, these are the bulbs we use - a customer made this honest review since we had this questioned asked a few times we asked him if he could make a video:

Product listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/bright-15pc-reverse-cree-leds-error-free-fits-all-touareg-models-years

1 - 17 of 17 Posts