Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ow is it that the Cheyenne is rated highest and the Treg is way down the list? Also they rank the Treg much worse in reliability. How is this even possible? Does the Porsche come out of Germany and the Treg comes out of some third world country? Just curious as they share a ton of components and design.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,197 Posts
Ow is it that the Cheyenne is rated highest and the Treg is way down the list? Also they rank the Treg much worse in reliability. How is this even possible? Does the Porsche come out of Germany and the Treg comes out of some third world country? Just curious as they share a ton of components and design.
The Touareg is built alongside the Audi Q7 at VW Group Bratislava in Slovakia, which is an ex-Skoda plant - the Porsche Cayenne bodyshell and some major assemblies are also built there and then shipped to VW Group Leipzig in Germany for final assembly - the Bratislava plant also supplies some body pressings and assemblies to Bentley in England for the Bentayga.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you. I've had very good luck with both of my Tregs but US News gives them a bad reliability rating. I had planned on buying a new one next year but not not sure as I don't need something that stays in the shop all the time.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They tested a gas 3.6L. No wonder they didn't like it. It's not the same driving experience as the TDI.

They reference JD Power owner scores for the reliability rating but I see no details.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if they did that then I definitely agree. I've had both a 09 gasser and now a 09 TDI and the TDI is a way better drive in my opinion. Good point!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
LOL, to call Bratislava as a third world country? I'd like to know where Detroit is situated? :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If we assume that the ratings weren't "tweaked" by US News and the ratings accurately reflect owner reports of problems, even then there can be owner bias at play. Porsche owners pay stratospheric prices and may be predisposed to not complain about minor problems because doing so would be tantamount to saying "I was suckered into this overpriced vehicle".

VW owners might be more likely to complain.

Also the quality of dealer service (or lack of it) may affect these reports.

That's my theory anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Also also Statistics can be misleading. Suppose the best-rated SUV gets 4 owner complaints about rattles per 100 vehicles surveyed while the lowest-rated vehicle averages 6 complaints per 100 owners. The numbers tell a story, but is it significant?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Ow is it that the Cheyenne is rated highest and the Treg is way down the list?
When a Porsche breaks, Porsche fixes it.

When a VW breaks... :(

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The first thing is ,you don't test a car you can't get,due to Dieselgate,so gasser is the only choice in Treg. Second is Porsche service is at the top ,because you already paid for it in the price. I'm sure Porsche tells it's service people to do whatever the customer wants. That solves a lot of problems.

My 2012 TDI has had very few issues. If it were not for the ad blue heater, no problems.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Me, three! 85k on my 2012. AdBlue pump and heater. That's all, folks. Tremendous ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts