Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says I wanted to make a reference thread for sourcing all the fluids in the US for the T3 chassis. I find it challenging to source a lot of the better fluids from Germany so this will be an "all options" list.

So far I have been on Amazon, FCPEuro and UROTuning...

1. Oil filter
2. Oil
3. Fuel Filter
4. Transmission fluid
5. Front Differential Fluid
6. Rear Differential Fluid
7. Transfer Case
8. Brake Fluid
9. Coolant / Antifreeze

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't recommend using any of the oil selectors available on such 3rd party pages, because lot of times they will give you the wrong oils. Better just look up in the VW documentation the spec a particular fluid has to meet, and the check whether the actual manufacturer of a particular lubrication product says (either on the bottle or on their product page on the web) whether their fluid indeed does meet the spec. If it does, only then go and try to source that particular oil from sites likes Amazon, or whoever you trust.

With engine oils it's relatively simple, with the table below, but there's a very long list of oils available that meet said specs (linked below). With filters... they're constantly changing and also a broad variery of offers available (and you can only go by size anyway). Differential fluid depends on whether the differential is lockable or not.

If you do it backwards and go by the listings or oil guides at Amazon you might end up with a very wrong fluid.

All VW approved oils as of 2019: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161673-0001.pdf

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Gnits,
Thank you so very much for the reply with table and attachment!!!! I had never seen that TSB before!

According to the TSB there are only 4 oils approved for the T3 TDI:

Emirates 1 MX11 Supreme Engine Oil SAE 5W-30
Mobil Delvac City Logistics SAE 5W-30
Mobil Delvac Light Commercial Vehicle SAE 5W-30
Mobil Super 2000 X1 SAE 5W-30

So I have these oils from Amazon that meet the specification:

·
Registered
995 Posts
According to the TSB there are only 4 oils approved for the T3 TDI:
There are a LOT more 504/507 oils in that table than just 4. Actually they take up about 5 full pages, and 502 oils take up even more: 8 pages (even though the latter are only good for the petrols with the fixed service interval). Now, not all of them have the same (and the proper) viscosity, but again, no matter what viscosity I'm looking at, there are a lot more then just 4 for each. And with 5W-30 viscosity there are just pages and pages of oils 504/507 and 502 oils.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

You are 100% correct. I "assumed" that it was a different model after the first section.

I was wrong and yes there are more 5W-30 oils after the fourth page..

And again, I really appreciate the information and assistance!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the heads up on the oil Sideskraft! Warren also makes the Amazon basics oil...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Fuel filters...

I have always used Meyle or MANN for my Passat and the wifes Tiguan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on the oil Sideskraft! Warren also makes the Amazon basics oil...
Glad to help Troystg. I always try to support locally based stores whenever possible, and in this case, it's saving me some money too. Warren's tech advisor is very responsive and really knows his stuff (he's the one that recommended the VW oil -- I was surprised they had something that met the spec).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hit 49K miles, time to order the fluids for a 50K change.

Looking for Differential fluid and transfer case fluid recommendations now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Excellent, Thank you!

I wonder why we don't have a sticky "Reference" thread at the top with all of this in it? It would be much easier than individual threads scattered.

·
Registered
284 Posts
'16 TDI CNRB These are parts I use for regular maintenance, ordered from Amazon.

OIl Filter- Mahle OX 420 D, includes new filter housing O-ring
Air Filter- Mahle LX 2024/1 or Mann C 39 219
Fuel Filter- Mann PU 8007
Cabin Air Filter- Mann CUK 2847/1

Oil
I use Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 exclusively. 1 Liter - - 5 Liter 7.7L / 8.1 Qt. Do yourself a favor and buy an oil dispenser- I like this one.
Do yourself another favor and get yourself a Fumoto Valve and Hose Kit. With this you only need to drive up on ramps, remove the rear underbody panel and it is mess-free. I've verified there is no difference in drain by draining with the valve until the drips were more than a minute apart, then removed the valve. There was no effective change in the duration of drips.

Just a word of warning, you WILL over flow a small drain pan, or get uncomfortably close to the top of an open pan. With the valve you can drain into a closed container, like this one with no mess and no fuss.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yup, had one on my old '14 Passat 2.0 TFSI. Oil changes were such a breeze in that thing. They seem like such an extravagance until you get one and use it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
'16 TDI CNRB These are parts I use for regular maintenance, ordered from Amazon.

OIl Filter- Mahle OX 420 D, includes new filter housing O-ring
Air Filter- Mahle LX 2024/1 or Mann C 39 219
Fuel Filter- Mann PU 8007
Cabin Air Filter- Mann CUK 2847/1

Oil
I use Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 exclusively. 1 Liter - - 5 Liter 7.7L / 8.1 Qt. Do yourself a favor and buy an oil dispenser- I like this one.
Do yourself another favor and get yourself a Fumoto Valve and Hose Kit. With this you only need to drive up on ramps, remove the rear underbody panel and it is mess-free. I've verified there is no difference in drain by draining with the valve until the drips were more than a minute apart, then removed the valve. There was no effective change in the duration of drips.

Just a word of warning, you WILL over flow a small drain pan, or get uncomfortably close to the top of an open pan. With the valve you can drain into a closed container, like this one with no mess and no fuss.

Hope this helps.
Is that link to the Fumoto Valve the exact size we need for the T3? IE, can I just purchase the one that the link brings up?

Also I tried to send you a PM but it bounced / wasn't allowed. Have a back channel or prefer I ask a question here?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yup, all those are links to items I've purchased and verified fit my '16 TDI CNRB. It's the one Fumoto recommends for our Tregs as well- the new low-profile valves.
You can try again. I had to... disconnect for a while :) I think I have it back so members can contact me, feel free to quote my posts or mention me you're still having trouble.

Is that link to the Fumoto Valve the exact size we need for the T3? IE, can I just purchase the one that the link brings up?

Also I tried to send you a PM but it bounced / wasn't allowed. Have a back channel or prefer I ask a question here?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts