Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am right in the middle of changing the Oxygen o2 sensor and can't locate it for the life of me!

2008 Touareg 2 V8 (USA Version):

Trying to swap out the Bank 1, Sensor 2 with a replacement part as I have a CEL light on pointing to that.

Can anyone describe the location of where this sensor would be? OR provide an picture? Best way to get to it?

Is it in the engine bay? Or under the car somewhere? I'm stumped!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bank 1, would mean the PASSENGER or LEFT side (if standing in front of the vehicle, looking at the engine) of the car, correct?

Sensor 2 would mean DOWNSTREAM or AFTER THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER correct?

I just can't locate this darn thing!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm 99% sure bank 1 refers to passenger side in most Volkswagen but it's possible that specific models are depicted differently.

Read this Pelican parts writeup.. It stops at 2007 but I would think 2008 is similar

Also, if you've just bought the car and cannot find the sensor, that might be exactly the problem

Also it looks like Volkswagen might have stuffed them into the top side of the engine bay, making it very difficult to see from below

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I pretty sure bank 1 is drivers side (left hand drive) because I believe the engine is reversed in the Touareg intake is under windshield not at rad end
Sensor 1 is above cat almost close to 3 bolt flange left side of pipe That’s where mine is did it a month ago
Sensor 2 after cat

·
Registered
951 Posts
Bank one in my touareg is passenger side. Maybe yours is different (sarcasm).

·
Registered
951 Posts
Check it out homie. Cylinder 1 is passenger side

Reactions: Odessa

·
Registered
951 Posts
Np man! Hope the op gets it figured out

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Banks and cylinders in VW engines are numbered from left to right and from front to back, when facing the engine. Whether bank 1 is passenger or driver side, depends on whether the car is LHD or RHD. If banks are ordered in left and right rows, then bank 1 is the one on the right side of the engine (travel direction), so passenger side on LHD and driver side on RHD cars. Bank 2 is obviously the other side, so left side (travel direction) and driver side on LHD and passenger side on RHD cars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YES. 2008 4.2 FSI V8

As I originally stated, I am throwing a CEL light with BANK 1, SENSOR 2 as the culprit.

I went ahead and picked up BOTH downstream sensors with the plan of just changing them both at the same time.One came with a brown connector & the other has a black. Do the colors mean skemthing

Unfortunately, once I got underneath my vehicle and located the actual sensor, I have now way of accessing it. It is incredibly tight. I mean I can touch it, but I have no idea how to get a tool on and generate any rotation to free it.

(See attached photos)

Maybe if the car was up on a lift I could see a better way, but I am just on my back under the vehicle. And from my vantage point, I have no way of getting to it.

I guess I will have to get it into the shop. Unless anyone else has tips/tricks?

I can’t find a model specific walkthrough for this anywhere online either. That actually shows the exact locations and how to get to them.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pictures are shot in the direction of going back towards the engine. I'm assuming the sensor pictured is the Bank 1 Sensor 2 (Downstream) correct?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm wondering what nasty things the AI responsible for this message has projected into that picture of the sensor area...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
My man TRespect coming through with the hard ones as always

From the documentation I was seeing the o2's should be changed from the top of the engine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the information everyone. So which side of the vehicle is considered "downstream left"? "downstream right"? I am reading a bunch of conflicting information!

·
Registered
951 Posts
The side of the engine is by looking at it from the front. Passenger side is bank-1 or the 'left side'.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts