Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been have an ongoing engine management light issue due to the infamous alleged timing chain stretch.

Now, my engine runs (or did...) completely silently, hot or cold, idles perfectly with no cam chain rattle whatsoever.

Anyway, as I'm trying to get rid of the disgusting pile of crap, I thought I'd try to fit a new hydraulic upper tensioner to see if that would allow me to clear the fault codes.

My problem is that I now DO have a hell of a rattle where previously there was none, aargh!

Can anyone advise what the correct procedure is for fitting said tensioner? I just pumped it a few times in a bath of oil (Didn't stiffen up at all) then screwed it into the engine. I have a feeling that I should've set the engine to a point where the chain was slackest (TDC? Align timing marks?).

I've driven a mile or two to see if that will pressurise the tensioner, but the noise is worse. Initially, when first installed, the tickover was noise free, it only started to clatter when revved, but after the drive it now rattles at all rpm's.

Any advice or suggestions most welcome!

God, I hate VW.....

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
578 Posts
Hi all,

I've been have an ongoing engine management light issue due to the infamous alleged timing chain stretch.

Now, my engine runs (or did...) completely silently, hot or cold, idles perfectly with no cam chain rattle whatsoever.

Anyway, as I'm trying to get rid of the disgusting pile of crap, I thought I'd try to fit a new hydraulic upper tensioner to see if that would allow me to clear the fault codes.

My problem is that I now DO have a hell of a rattle where previously there was none, aargh!

Can anyone advise what the correct procedure is for fitting said tensioner? I just pumped it a few times in a bath of oil (Didn't stiffen up at all) then screwed it into the engine. I have a feeling that I should've set the engine to a point where the chain was slackest (TDC? Align timing marks?).

I've driven a mile or two to see if that will pressurise the tensioner, but the noise is worse. Initially, when first installed, the tickover was noise free, it only started to clatter when revved, but after the drive it now rattles at all rpm's.

Any advice or suggestions most welcome!

God, I hate VW.....
Would be helpful to know what does are causing the CEL.

The tensioner is nothing but a hydraulic piston. The piston is hollow and holds very little oil. It does not stiffen up. Oil pressure pushes the piston out and against the chain bumper. When you pump it in a bath of oil there is only a pinhole for oil to enter. Once full further depressing the piston just pumps oil out the hole.

I didn't do anything special when replacing mine except torque it down properly. Can't remember the amount but should be able to find on the site through search function. In my case the rattle was worse just at initial start and fine afterwards.

In my case the chain rattle is worse in cold weather, but OK when oil temp gets above 100F. When outside temps are above 50 can hardly hear at start up.

You may have more than just chain trouble or other issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts