Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking about modding the thermostat housing on my V6 3.2 to make the thermostat easily accessible and serviceable and also make it bullet proof by upgrading it to a cast aluminum housing when I had an idea: My idea was to re-locate the thermostat housing by using a custom housing and extending the coolant hoses when I thought about checking what VW did on the different design of the 3.6. And I what do I find: they stole my idea :) They relocated the thermostat housing to the side on the engine (driver side lhd) !!! And they even have an aluminum adaptor to go on the old thermostat housing port on the engine. I'm trying to see if I can just use the new 3.6 setup without too much modding. I will need to extend some coolant hoses and the temperature sender wires.

Ideas or pics of the 3.6 engine bay (with intake off if possible) are welcome.
There are even aluminum crackpipes available on ecstuning for the 3.6 so you won't need to replace these in the future.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the idea here is to mix both systems amd have a very serviceable thermostat and temperature sensor without having to remove the intake or fight with the thermostat housing.
And to have something durable I’m going for a stainless steel or aluminum setup. I also intend to make all hoses very accessible/serviceable by extending them and relocating the continuous pump which is hidden behind the engine.
It’s not like there is not enough room in the engine bay !
Anyone would like to have one ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm all in bro !! I saw my reg dripping after a short drive and crawled to take a look and had the same problem.
Was thinking bout how to do it without dropping the engine till I saw your post.
Any updates?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ordered the parts. Waiting for them to start making the new parts for relocating the thermostat. I studied some options and will be making the kit in a week or two. It will take some time to make. You can replace the thermostat on the 3.2 without dropping the engine. You have to remove the intake you will have space to work. I will upload the instructions.

Your problem could be only with that second empty temp sensor which is closed by a plastic piece and an o-ring. I’m still loosing coolant too and I know I want to fix this issue for once and for all and not have to wonder what’s happening back there in the future. My kit will be part aluminum/stainless steel part rubber.
More info soon.
I suggest you remove the valve cover to check. I will upload instructions to do that too. There are two locations prone to leaks. Left side on the combi valve (egr) and right side in the thermostat housing (dummy temp sensor). If the leak is in the thermostat housing on the engine then that’s another story.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And this is how it was upgraded on the 3.6. Easier to replace. They routed the coolant return line from the radiator in ftont of the engine. On the 3.2 the return line is on the left (passenger side) then around the back of the engine.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can not use the coolant pipe and the coolant temp sensor from the 3.6 on the 3.2 because they changed the pipe dimensions and the the engine port where hot coolant comes out.

3.2:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
And here are some pics of my engine where you can see the 2 location prone to leaks:

Thermostat second dummy temp sensor location (on the tight side.of the the temp sensor. Temp sensor is the grey part.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the left side you have hose going into the engine on the combi valve (egr) mount. The previous owner used to put tab water in the Treg. you can spot the leak easily.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Instructions for removing the thermostat housing on the 3.2.
You have to open the relevant pdf file when a step is mentioned in the guide. Pdf files are named after step names. I added more files to better understand the system components.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ordered the parts. Waiting for them to start making the new parts for relocating the thermostat. I studied some options and will be making the kit in a week or two. It will take some time to make. You can replace the thermostat on the 3.2 without dropping the engine. You have to remove the intake you will have space to work. I will upload the instructions.

Your problem could be only with that second empty temp sensor which is closed by a plastic piece and an o-ring. I’m still loosing coolant too and I know I want to fix this issue for once and for all and not have to wonder what’s happening back there in the future. My kit will be part aluminum/stainless steel part rubber.
More info soon.
I suggest you remove the valve cover to check. I will upload instructions to do that too. There are two locations prone to leaks. Left side on the combi valve (egr) and right side in the thermostat housing (dummy temp sensor). If the leak is in the thermostat housing on the engine then that’s another story.

Thnx for the awesome reply. I guess I'll have to check what's going on but I think since I'm already there I'll be changing the housing completely. Unfortunately I don't have the option of custom fabrication since it's not that common here. I would've loved it if there's a kit for it
Thnx for the info I'll update as well

1 - 20 of 31 Posts