Club Touareg Forum banner

381 - 400 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also wait rear camera and I put camera in vw emblem with minor revisions,I do not like any other solution....
I'm bay this camera:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Night-Vision-CCD-Car-Front-View-Logo-Embeded-Camera-For-Volkswagen-LaVida-sagitar-Tiguan-Passat-MAGOTAN/32752003496.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wAQtqB

Are you try any other version CAN BUS ???

Understood. I'll take tons of photos next time. I'm about to upgrade my rear window camera soon. I'll rip things apart and resume to take photos then of all the mods I've done until now.
Thanx,thanx,thanx a lot if you can to do that !!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very nice! Wish I saw something like this earlier, or available to purchase. Would have made it look much much better than a boxy spycam at the lift gate handle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure how your harness was set up, but there are a hell lot more than 4 wires. See my attached photo on the original harness.
I forget ask for that....
My harness is exactly same like your .
When I say 4 wires I think only on that connector for HU + , - , CAN HI,CAN LOW because only that 4 wires we all users used for connect this HU....it have just only 3 more wires that we used from green connector audio out for factory amplifier ....all other wires from factory harnes we don't use...
Because of that I do not understand your step 3 and I do not get what to do for step 3

·
Registered
346 Posts
The design from the newer HU is slightly different than the older generation of HUs in the aspect of the integrated wiring. You indicated there are 11 RCAs splits for your harness. That is one heavy load of RCA to direct the sounds properly for 4 channels. This probably an indicator that your HU is designed to take care of the power load issue going into each speaker since the start of this entire crazy discussion. Ultimately, there are only 4 channels to split among the 7 to 11 speakers.

The original harness has two black wires (with solid black or black with some color stripe, or probably brown with black stripe). This is to assist with the original HU's grounding, as well as the amp's grounding. If you look at your amp, there may also an additional grounding wire at the amp. Mind don't have it. So, this is why I ground everything, including the RCA. My amp depends on the connections to the HU to assist with the ground. The speakers connecting to the amp depend on the amp for proper ground. See the patter? Everything depends on the amp to ground, but if the amp is not properly grounded, it all depends on the wire harness to be grounded properly at the HU.

I always go with the mantra of, "Even when I overdoing anything, it may still not enough to cover the lacking of everything to the anything."

·
Registered
27 Posts
You indicated there are 11 RCAs splits for your harness. That is one heavy load of RCA to direct the sounds properly for 4 channels. This probably an indicator that your HU is designed to take care of the power load issue going into each speaker since the start of this entire crazy discussion. Ultimately, there are only 4 channels to split among the 7 to 11 speakers.
Not all 11 RCA for audio,only 4 is for audio out,FR,FL,RR,RL....other RCA is for other components,because of that I'm asking for grounding all RCA or only audio out RCA...

I always go with the mantra of, "Even when I overdoing anything, it may still not enough to cover the lacking of everything to the anything."
That is good idea !!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not all 11 RCA for audio,only 4 is for audio out,FR,FL,RR,RL....other RCA is for other components,because of that I'm asking for grounding all RCA or only audio out RCA...
That's what I thought. Most HUs for the older vehicles are 4 channels only, unless you got yourself some fancy HU for your deluxe surround sound digital amp, like the Lincoln's and BMW's high end vehicles.

If you only have 4 channels RCA, ground those 4. Quickest way is to get a 14 gauge wire, exposed enough bare wire to wrap it all around the exposed female RCA connectors individually to ground. That is the grounding surface. Just letting you know, if the RCA female grounding surface is touching another surface, the grounding is now interfered. I wrapped it up with a bit of electrical tape to prevent the issue from occurring.

I did something like this attached photo by soldering to a female-female coupler/adapter for easy installation/removal, rather than directly onto the RCA of the harness/HU.

Attachments

Reactions: boki

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems that I only have a special problem on the world....I try everything but my buzzing humming has nothing with HU!!!!! That buzzing is "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" frequencies,not bbbbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuu frequencies !!!!!!!!!
When I pres mute volume buzzing is still there(no changes in the buzzing volume,so buzzing no go from HU amp).....I try to ground RCA and factory AMP and housing HU and black wire from HU harness,not help at all,only when ground black wire from HU harness just little reduce noise but barely noticeable,on the contrary,when I connect ground on RCA the buzzing is more loud.......
When I connect only alone CAN BUS box on car wiring harness end switch ignition the humming is really,MUCH RELY LOUDER (as a substation that want to explode).....So I'm not connect the HU at all in this test "with CAN BUS box" !!!!!
So my android HU not is problem ..... with factory HU everything is good and sound is rely greet !!!!!!!

Just to mention,in this post: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/upgrading-head-unit-249521-16.html#post1739954, that "black wire" go on CD changer ground,and that "blue connector" is only for CD changer control,so better and smarter is leave that wire and connector in peace and connect black wire from HU on car ground directly,if someone helps this method !!!!

It is possible to only I have this problem and that cannot be resolved because every touareg with 11 speakers and factory amp have same installation ??????????????

·
Registered
346 Posts
Boki, this is why the audio installers make such plenty of money off you installing HU for older vehicles. You either spend time and a little bit of money to upgrade only the HU, or you pay a massive amount to rip your old system part, and install with everything brand new. We all selected the first option: spend little money, but end up spending more time figuring out what the hell happened.

If your CANBUS box that comes with your HU is the problem, it may be THE problem, as the box is creating the massive buzzing during installation. However, you may want to compare if the buzzing was caused by the additional ground as you install the HU's CANBUS box.

Now, the way you described the "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" vs the "bbbbbbbuuuuuuuu", the high frequency "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" is the aerial antenna issue, where as the "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbuuuu" low frequency sound is from either the engine or the poor grounding near or around the amp and speakers. We played around with BMW once with the similar issue. The "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" sound was eliminated by grounding the upgraded FUBA antenna. As for the low frequency, this is a monster to deal with. One of the audio freaks told us to ground the speakers, and behold, it worked. We tried to do that again on a different car, and it didn't. Each case is a unique monster to deal with, and you have to try everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did not connect the antenna now,and my antenna is original vw with two connectors and I don't know where I can to ground this antenna.....I try also to ground on AMP pin for - wire for audio line L and R channel but then buzzing again is to much louder,that wire is goes from RCA -.....but when I try to ground - on RCA buzzing not much louder.....so that also is strange....
Rely I don't know what to ground more....everything what I try is just worst......
I'll try to connect Factory HU without green connector (wires for audio line to AMP).....and if buzzing again come definitely aftermarket CAN BUS not problem....
I wanted to pay and I'm drive my car to one audio installer,but he do nothing ..... :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
The FUBA antenna is connected directly to the original antenna connection, with an additional power supply. I tracked down the antenna to the rear of the vehicle, the lift gate, while I was installing my backup camera. I spotted the ground wire there.

If the AMP has ground cable (not RCA), ground that first. If RCA grounding causes interference, don't ground there.

Go ahead and reinstall the factory HU. See if the buzzing sounds go away. If it goes away, that means something is with the new HU.

If you plug the new HU, WITHOUT the CANBUS, then with the CANBUS, and the buzzing sounds come back really heavy, that means it's the CANBUS. Contact the seller of the HU to get an HU replaced.

Now, the only thing I can recommend at this time, before going to the extreme end, is an inline RCA filter, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cadence-Acoustics-GLI1-Ground-Isolator/dp/B007G6XJ86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513901263&sr=8-1&keywords=inline+rca+filter

Just be warned, installing an isolator/filter will reduce the total loudness of the radio. I install isolator/filters at the amp, which has the best results. I tend to go crazy and install both at the amp and at the HU just for the fun of it. Most of the time, it worked. Sometimes, I have to switch to the extreme end. The extreme end is to replace the amp. Yep... $$$

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking into upgrading my head unit and speakers... I don't want to shake/rattle the panels of the car and make it sound like $hit But I do want a smooth bass line and treble to give that clean sound. New sub and speakers is what i'm in the market for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Witch wire is for steering wheel command from can bus box....and,is anyone try to connect KEY1 and KEY2 wires from HU on CAN BUS HI and CAN BUS LOW on car side,to get steering wheel function ?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this unit?

dynavin.com/products/n7_vwtg.php]Dynavin

Dynavin head units are pretty popular amongst the B6/B7 Audi crowd. This one seems pretty expensive, but they can usually be found for a few hundred cheaper...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I recently got an android head unit. Meant to be plug and play and all. But on installing it, the radio sound and CD work but no picture showing. Could anyone have an idea why?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and had a pioneer head unit installed along with some jl 6.5s in the front and back doors.
Will admit, even the jl's and new amp don't sound as good as the stock unit and speakers did in my opinion.
Wish you could get that sound with android auto and a subwoofer.
Still have to tune it to the way I want but not certain I'll ever be completely satisfied. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been messaging with Xtrons in the UK (they advertise on Ebay). I've got an RNS2 DVD unit in my 07. They tell me that their Octacore Android 6.0 box is fully plug and play for all 11 speakers.

I was about to do an order on it and then I had a Locking problem (see other board :frown2:) so have had to put it on hold for a while pending resolution / cost of that fix.

As and when I am able to put in an order for one, I'll get shots and upload as best I can for other users.

Also - if anyone has done an installation in recently months and has a UK recommendation or advice on install please share !

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, after having replace the offside rear locking unit (and learning there are cheap 7 pin fitments and much more expensive 9 pin fitments) I've finally got my head unit and fitted it.

I have to say, it went in really, really easily. Yes, you do need a dremel / similar to cut away the plastic sides in the dash - but if it wasn't for that it would be a 10 minute job. Total time for me c60mins. That includes driving to the diy store to buy a dremel, driving back, working out how to use the dremel and cutting out the bits I didn't need !

Notes / Things I learned from these threads which helped:
1) The box comes with loads and loads of cables, but frankly you don't to use them unless you need to use them. Mine are all tagged. But you do need the advert to show where to plug in the 'extended' features to the rear of the head unit
2) If you ignore all those other cables, its just a straight forward ISO type fit
3) Do get good quality keys for the VW heard unit (spend the extra 50p on thicker ones)
4) Dremel is a must on this job, that canbus adaptor needs to go somehwere
5) As I had a DVD Nav unit previously, I have re-used the std gps antenna
6) Really - don't be put off by the complex wiring / numbering job in the picture below - to make this work as a radio unit you can just plug in the bottom left cable (i.e. radio to ISO with the Canbus), the two radio antenna and the gps unit
7) It does power off quite quickly after turning the car off, but I'll be keeping an eye out for any power drain issues
8) All 11 speakers working off the go
9) the "Loud" button is in Amplifier settings on mine (and thus probably all others)

Disclaimers : I've not connected up the DAB+ unit yet (as I forgot to order it at the same time as the head unit), nor have I attempted any rear camera installs. I've also just realised that my MicroSD card is no way big enough to hold off-line maps for it and so I've had to order one of those - waiting to do that until after I've checked music play back from the SD card.

Next jobs:
1) Maps
2) DAB+

Maybe one day / when I'm off work:
1) Running external USB cables down the centre console into the storage bin (unless I can get a 256gb memory card for it, in which case - meh)
2) Rear Camera - love the one on my BMW, and whilst the sensors on are great on this a rear view camera would be a 'nice to have'

My advice to anyone with a simpler path - just do it. The

381 - 400 of 421 Posts