Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used '04 Egg. It came with the CD based navigation with the digital 11 speaker amp. I've been reading several posts around about adding the/an Android-based head unit, and the gigantic wiring nightmare that entails to keep the 11 speakers all working.

One suggested tregradios.com, which boasts a hassle-free plug and play with a head unit. The issue is that I don't want to spend $700+ on a head unit, when I know there are cheaper options.

Does anyone know where to purchase the amplifier adapter separately?

You can buy cheaper Android-based navigation units on Amazon, so I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, or just bit the bullet and bought the whole head unit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1
I want to do the same.
Mine is an 05 with the cd nav.
I'd love to have a setup with an actual android tablet but I'm not knowledgeable enough, not even close to attempt that.
Best of luck, if you find a solution that allows all 11 speakers that's plug and play please let me know.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1
I want to do the same.
Mine is an 05 with the cd nav.
I'd love to have a setup with an actual android tablet but I'm not knowledgeable enough, not even close to attempt that.
Best of luck, if you find a solution that allows all 11 speakers that's plug and play please let me know.
Thanks

I was also told by Sam Lee from smart auto 24 that one of their head units and get everything working by using an analog to digital signal converter but it needs to be one that communicates properly with the vw digital amp.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely someone has done the plug and play system off that website. Another person has directly wired an Android based navigation system to his speakers, bypassing the amp and basically splitting the power of the head unit to the individual 11 channels. Sounds like a gigantic wiring nightmare.

While I support that guy, I'm always looking for the easiest solution, instead of chopping the wiring up. I'm going to contact the company tomorrow and ask about the mystery cable. Surely, that one $600 dollar head unit can't be the solution to all these problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those of us with the cd based nav and digital amp we'd still need some kind of amp bypass that still allows all 11 speakers to work.
If you have the same factory nav and digital amp that we have, I wouldn't spend your money on anything until someone offers a solution to allow usage of all speakers.
It's been done just haven't found anything for sale that will plug and play with any of the replacement units.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the guys from London so far haven't been any help.

I spoke with someone from Crutchfield, they said as far as their concerned, no such adapter exists.

He suggested that I either cut into the stock wiring and splice it up, or just keep the stock one, and get this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220B101AVW/Audiovox-Carstream-Audi-VW-Bluetooth-Interface.html

It adds Bluetooth capability. Might just have to go this route.

It's really too bad because those Android based systems look really cool.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, the guys from London so far haven't been any help.

I spoke with someone from Crutchfield, they said as far as their concerned, no such adapter exists.

He suggested that I either cut into the stock wiring and splice it up, or just keep the stock one, and get this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220B101AVW/Audiovox-Carstream-Audi-VW-Bluetooth-Interface.html

It adds Bluetooth capability. Might just have to go this route.

It's really too bad because those Android based systems look really cool.
I wonder how many 04 / 05 touareg's are still out there?
Has to be a lot still running, it's a great vehicle.
I wish I had done more research before buying mine, I probably would have looked for another one with the basic system in it. Or I would have bought something else.
It's basically our winter vehicle and will be used to tow my old fishing boat but I'd still like to have a proper nav system in it without spending a grand on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I were younger with a stronger back I'd just go ahead and tear everything out and start from scratch.
I loved doing my own systems when I was younger.
Now 50 is right around the corner and I've had 4 back surgeries in the past 8 year's.
Where does the time go? Lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gentlemen. I may have found a solution. A company in Germany makes an adapter that will allow you to use the stock amplifier. I'm going to contact them and see for sure.

Now, this adapter allows you to connect the RNS 510 head unit to our older touaregs. Problem is, that head unit is like.... $800+ dollars.

Theoretically, an Android based navigation has the same connections as the back of the RNS 510. So you buy this adapter and get a can-bus adapter and it should work!

http://shop.conexx-video.de/artikel_id_1882_a_Audi---VW-Spezialloesungen-VW-T5---Touareg-12-Kanal-Soundsystem-Can-Bus-Interface.html

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am actually running an android radio right now and did not have to do a rewire or anything. It retains the factory look not taking away from the look of the interior. It came with an canbus adapter to let you use the factory amp, so it is completely plug and play. I did have to order a adapter to change the 2 antennas the the vehicle has to one into the back of the radio to get better reception (It is still pretty bad and will by an signal booster later for it). My TReg is a 2005 V8 that has the factory navigation and 11 speaker system. I also recently installed an amp in sub as well this past weekend. This is the exact unit I have below.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am actually running an android radio right now and did not have to do a rewire or anything. It retains the factory look not taking away from the look of the interior. It came with an canbus adapter to let you use the factory amp, so it is completely plug and play. I did have to order a adapter to change the 2 antennas the the vehicle has to one into the back of the radio to get better reception (It is still pretty bad and will by an signal booster later for it). My TReg is a 2005 V8 that has the factory navigation and 11 speaker system. I also recently installed an amp in sub as well this past weekend. This is the exact unit I have below.
Yours must have been the dvd based navigation unit?

1 - 20 of 405 Posts