Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0L TDI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Long time listener, first time commenting.

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3L V6 TDI

I just purchased an RNS510 to update my radio. I have the older style delta.

Couple things;

When I plug the radio in, it starts up then shuts off. I have uploaded video to youtube -

I have tried looking for a guide to installing this unit to make work as OEM. I see that I need to update the Bluetooth module.

is there a write up anywhere of what all is needed to do a full swap? Like reverse camera etc.

I have already updated to the digital cluster, so id like this to finish it off.

Many thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Old Radio

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
where did you buy the new RNS510 from?
Has the seller guaranteed performance.
Did they provide firmware/Map generation number?

These details will help our members who are in North America/Canada to offer appropriate advice re firmware/map etc.

To me, it looks like a dodgy firmware has been applied, but, I've been wrong before *fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Steve,

I've purchased from a local dismantling store in Ontario. He's a friend of mine and had it in vehicle working.

Someone on facebook said this is the reason;

"Basic radio has no dyno sound system
So this one show in corner dyno sound
Dyno sound has fiberoptic cables wired to amplifier
If is fiberoptic loop open system will shut down immediately"

Not sure how much this is true but sounds valid?

No Firmware or Map Generation number was provided.

where did you buy the new RNS510 from?
Has the seller guaranteed performance.
Did they provide firmware/Map generation number?

These details will help our members who are in North America/Canada to offer appropriate advice re firmware/map etc.

To me, it looks like a dodgy firmware has been applied, but, I've been wrong before *fingers crossed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see no sign that firmware would be dodgy, looks like a great OEM unit. No Touareg built before 2010 used MOST optical audio not even Dynaudio cars. The RNS does have to be coded properly to work with the equipment found in your vehicle specifically the speaker amplifier but also camera, instrument cluster, the gateway, climate control, park assist, trailer module, telephone, aux port, cd changer, media player, vehicle position recognition are a few I can think of off the top of my head. Plug and play except for software programming, coding, adaptation, and the antenna's for the navigation and SDARs reception making it not really plug and play at all. It will work if you connect and code it correctly!!! Jealous you found one from a friend as they are still very hard to find. Let me know if you want to sell it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you in Canada? There is one for sale in Alberta, I believe Edmonton for $300.00

Is this an easy thing to code? I have Vagcom worse case a friend works ar VW and can bring they're computer on weekends.

As long as I can get it fired up and turned on, I'll gather the other bits. He will likely have them all.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the swap I want to do (well, the car originally had a Delta but a previous owner has replaced it with a VMS unit which might have been great when new but now leaves a lot to be desired). I have yet to confirm whether the original wiring is intact. I haven't sourced an RNS510 (but waited over a year for the right Touareg, so am patient enough to bag now eventually). I don't know what other parts are needed. I am happy to get photos of what's going on behind the head unit if there is anyone who can help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts