Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
What is being described in the "sudden stop" situation is not brake fade.
Indeed. And neither in my short distance driving uphill to the marina and back or cross-country going through the Catskills have I ever experienced fade. A 20-ft boat weighs between 2,200 lb and 3,000 lb on average. there should be next to nothing on this planet that could make a Touareg factory brake system overload and fade having only 3,000 lb on it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Seems like a lot of effort for a little 20 footer. No offense.

One day a car stopped in the middle of the road at the last second. My 20 footer had run out of hydraulic fluid once (didn't realize a line went..). ABS still chirped all 4 of the Touareg tires in an emergency stop one day. In the middle of a hill. Going downhill. Going 50mph. Zero fade.
Pulling a 6k lb car through the Catskills @ 75mph.. zero fade what so ever.

Again, based on my experiences with this car using OEM pads/rotors that can only be purchased AT the dealership, I'm blown away that you have ANY sort of braking issue with a little 20 foot boat.
This banter is a lot of effort...

Holy pissing contest dude, "little 20 footer" and the walking to school in snow uphill both ways vibe...

This is sorta comical, you cannot imagine how I could get brake fade. I cannot fathom how you would not notice the brakes on your boat trailer had ceased functioning. My best guess is my combined GVRW has a few extra pounds to your setup.

I am currently using Genuine VW parts bought from my dealers part counter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Indeed. And neither in my short distance driving uphill to the marina and back or cross-country going through the Catskills have I ever experienced fade. A 20-ft boat weighs between 2,200 lb and 3,000 lb on average. there should be next to nothing on this planet that could make a Touareg factory brake system overload and fade having only 3,000 lb on it
Your weights are off.. Dry weight on my boat is 3400lbs, the motor and outdrive alone are 1000lbs of that. Steel dual axle trailer you can reasonably average 100lbs per foot so 2100 lbs. Add 250lbs of fuel, sporting goods, family, cooler and food the GVWR is higher than you are eyeballing.

I

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
This banter is a lot of effort...

Holy pissing contest dude, "little 20 footer" and the walking to school in snow uphill both ways vibe...

This is sorta comical, you cannot imagine how I could get brake fade. I cannot fathom how you would not notice the brakes on your boat trailer had ceased functioning. My best guess is my combined GVRW has a few extra pounds to your setup.

I am currently using Genuine VW parts bought from my dealers part counter.
I'll fill you in how I didn't notice braking issues with busted trailer brakes: the Touareg brakes are capable of stopping significantly more weight than a 20ft boat carries.

Your weights are off.. Dry weight on my boat is 3400lbs, the motor and outdrive alone are 1000lbs of that. Steel dual axle trailer you can reasonably average 100lbs per foot so 2100 lbs. Add 250lbs of fuel, sporting goods, family, cooler and food the GVWR is higher than you are eyeballing.

I
I doubt your boat trailer weighs 2100 lbs. Most boat trailers are lightweight aluminum. My tandem axle eagle boat trailer weighs ~1200.

So are you going through a massive several mile long mountain pass or something? Reading the show what you tow thread, there are people towing 30 and 35-ft campers weighing 8,000 lb and not even those people complain about brake fade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll fill you in how I didn't notice braking issues with busted trailer brakes: the Touareg brakes are capable of stopping significantly more weight than a 20ft boat carries.

I doubt your boat trailer weighs 2100 lbs. Most boat trailers are lightweight aluminum. My tandem axle eagle boat trailer weighs ~1200.

So are you going through a massive several mile long mountain pass or something? Reading the show what you tow thread, there are people towing 30 and 35-ft campers weighing 8,000 lb and not even those people complain about brake fade.
You are an oblivious driver if you can't tell your trailer brakes are not working with a 3,000+lb load pushing behind you. I did not come on here saying the stock brakes will not stop my load, I came on here saying that I get pedal fade.

You have questioned me on electric brakes and water not mixing, not understanding my comment of "electric over hydraulic" making it pretty clear you do not know that system exists. Yet you are a self proclaimed expert on towing.

You are now stating that my steel boat trailer is made of aluminum based off what information?

A 35 foot camper will have electric brakes and a brake controller. As I stated prior my car/tractor trailer with electric brakes I can dial the brake force to a degree that is seamless. Or I can boost it so hard you can smoke all four tires with a slight tap on the brake. Frankly a touareg is not the ideal tow veh for a 35 foot camper. Yeah the toaureg will be great in the parking lots with it's short wheel base backing in and out of camping spots, but it is not gonna feel nearly as stable as a long wheelbase truck on the interstate.

You keep doing you and running around with a boat trailer with no brakes. I am after a better margin of safety for myself and those that I share the road with.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You are an oblivious driver if you can't tell your trailer brakes are not working with a 3,000+lb load pushing behind you. I did not come on here saying the stock brakes will not stop my load, I came on here saying that I get pedal fade.

You have questioned me on electric brakes and water not mixing, not understanding my comment of "electric over hydraulic" making it pretty clear you do not know that system exists. Yet you are a self proclaimed expert on towing.

You are now stating that my steel boat trailer is made of aluminum based off what information?

A 35 foot camper will have electric brakes and a brake controller. As I stated prior my car/tractor trailer with electric brakes I can dial the brake force to a degree that is seamless. Or I can boost it so hard you can smoke all four tires with a slight tap on the brake. Frankly a touareg is not the ideal tow veh for a 35 foot camper. Yeah the toaureg will be great in the parking lots with it's short wheel base backing in and out of camping spots, but it is not gonna feel nearly as stable as a long wheelbase truck on the interstate.

You keep doing you and running around with a boat trailer with no brakes. I am after a better margin of safety for myself and those that I share the road with.
I'm just trying to help you out here. You clearly have massive issues if your overbuilt quad piston brembo brakes are having issues with a 3,000 lb load.you still haven't even mentioned what your typical driving conditions are IE going straight down the back side of a mountain etc

How many miles are on your current brake fluid and how old is the current fluid? It's possible your fluid is smoked and it's boiling over

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
And just to be absolutely clear... You changed the OEM Volkswagen pads and rotors at the same exact time correct?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quit making assumptions. There are lots of types of boats, so weights can vary quite a bit.

I have a 21 foot boat. Boat and Trailer with a full tank of fuel weighs almost 6600lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
200 Posts
Brake fade is when the heat temperature of the brake components exceeds the design limits, and braking capability drops off. A sudden stop does not cause brake fade. It seems more likely you have glazed rotors/pads, and don't have the bite you should. Could also go to a pad with more initial bite.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Quit making assumptions. There are lots of types of boats, so weights can vary quite a bit.

I have a 21 foot boat. Boat and Trailer with a full tank of fuel weighs almost 6600lbs.

Wow, 6600 lbs? That might be the heaviest 21 footer I've ever heard of.. what kind of boat is that?

Brake fade is when the heat temperature of the brake components exceeds the design limits, and braking capability drops off. A sudden stop does not cause brake fade. It seems more likely you have glazed rotors/pads, and don't have the bite you should. Could also go to a pad with more initial bite.
Rotor glazing is very possible, but highly unlikely if using factory brakes and pads that are changed at equal intervals unless this guy drives down the road with his foot on the brake.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
200 Posts
Rotor glazing is very possible, but highly unlikely if using factory brakes and pads that are changed at equal intervals unless this guy drives down the road with his foot on the brake.
That's the thing, we just don't know, all I know is that what he is describing is not brake fade. I personally think the stock pads lack bite anyway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mastercraft XT21
Wow, 6600 lbs? That might be the heaviest 21 footer I've ever heard of.. what kind of boat is that?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mastercraft XT21

Wow. Definitely the heaviest 21 footer I've ever heard of, Jesus. Definitely an outlier though my man.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Stainless Braided brake lines could help the stock set up but the OEM set up on the Touareg should be more than adequate if the trailer brakes are working as designed.
FWIW last summer I helped my buddy go through the hydraulic surge brake system on his dual axle trailer that hauls his 25’ Chaparral open bow, pushed new brake fluid through the system and cleaned/lubricated the surge mechanism and it is amazing how much braking now comes from the trailer when stopping to the point on a hard stop you are actually being pushed forward.
A heavy trailer should be doing more of braking force than the tow vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Exec, White
48 Posts
Sounds like he needs more power or bite. Even without towing I definitely don't feel confident with the initial power from freeway speeds, though admittedly I bought the rig used and don't know what pads are on it yet. Bigger brakes can't can't hurt unless you never get them warm, but I doubt that's an issue with OE components.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a set of Pagid semi-metallic pads with less than 1K miles on them that fit the 2011-2016 Touareg, these pads have unbelievable initial bite and no fade hard stopping power and are yours for free if you pay shipping via USPS Flat Rate box. PM me if interested
At 105K I replaced the original pads/rotors and went with Brembo HC rotors and the Pagid pads, the braking is great but the dusting is terrible. But, that is the trade off of a high friction pad.
I switched back to the OEM pad and still good braking and virtually no dust and for needs more than adequate.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
I have a set of Pagid semi-metallic pads with less than 1K miles on them that fit the 2011-2016 Touareg, these pads have unbelievable initial bite and no fade hard stopping power and are yours for free if you pay shipping via USPS Flat Rate box. PM me if interested
At 105K I replaced the original pads/rotors and went with Brembo HC rotors and the Pagid pads, the braking is great but the dusting is terrible. But, that is the trade off of a high friction pad.
I switched back to the OEM pad and still good braking and virtually no dust and for needs more than adequate.
If he doesn't take you up on that offer, would you pass it to the next person (me)?

I changed out for OE pads/rotors but either the initial bite is underwhelming or I glazed the pads during break in. Not sure how I did it because I followed the directions I found around here to a T but now my wife's brakes give off a bit of squeal when reversing. Not sure if I can take them off and scuff everything to get some bite back but they don't inspire confidence in heavy stopping and it's my wife driving the two littles in the rig so...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If he doesn't take you up on that offer, would you pass it to the next person (me)?

I changed out for OE pads/rotors but either the initial bite is underwhelming or I glazed the pads during break in. Not sure how I did it because I followed the directions I found around here to a T but now my wife's brakes give off a bit of squeal when reversing. Not sure if I can take them off and scuff everything to get some bite back but they don't inspire confidence in heavy stopping and it's my wife driving the two littles in the rig so...
And you got your OE rotors and pads directly from the Volkswagen parts counter?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts