Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade brakes on my 13 TDI. I tow a 21 foot boat roughly 130 miles per weekend, interstate and twisty secondary roads in WV.

I made an impulse purchase on a set of the 18Z calipers on ebay and have them incoming. I have searched and read threads saying they are direct bolt on but would like to see or hear from anyone who has done this upgrade themselves if there is anything else I should be ordering.

I appreacddite any insight.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You have a Generation 2 Touareg known on the forums as a T3.

The later facelifted Generation 2 Touaregs are known as T4s.

The current Generation 3 Touareg (T5) is not imported into the US thanks to Dieselgate and the arrival of the US built Atlas.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I am looking to upgrade brakes on my 13 TDI. I tow a 21 foot boat roughly 130 miles per weekend, interstate and twisty secondary roads in WV.

I made an impulse purchase on a set of the 18Z calipers on ebay and have them incoming. I have searched and read threads saying they are direct bolt on but would like to see or hear from anyone who has done this upgrade themselves if there is anything else I should be ordering.

I appreacddite any insight.
Out of curiosity what makes you think you need a bigger brake setup

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It's a reasonable question 🤷

·
Registered
63 Posts
You clearly have an opinion based on the phrasing of your question. I think I know what it is, but don't want to assume. The OP clearly states why he is looking to upgrade. Rather than spring a trap on the guy, why don't you just voice your thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read enough threads to see this tends to be a controversial topic.

Current setup is genuine VW pads and rotors. My boat trailer is dual axle surge disc setup. My car/tractor trailer is dual axle electric drums. I tow nearly every weekend seven months a year ~130 miles, a few times a year ill do 600+ mile trips. That is enough towing exposure that sudden unexpected stops have come up and the pedal fade I do not care for. I want to run a larger diameter rotor. I however want to keep it semi stock so that parts can be found without too much todoo if something comes up while traveling.

Converting the boat trailer to electric over hydraulic I have thought about, but it is more expensive than the brake parts for the VW.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I never understood why this was so controversial. The V10's and some others(?) had this setup, so it's not some crazy modification. I can attest to an improvement over my stock 2008(T2)(4-piston fronts) setup. The piston area between the 4 larger pistons and the smaller 6 is similar, so your looking at almost equivalent forces on the pads. So here's where basic physics comes in... Larger brake pad on larger diameter rotor = increased torque and swept area.
But I'm sure someone will chime in and give you some sort of doctoral thesis on how it's not possible to improve your braking or why you shouldn't do it in the first place. Don't listen to them. It's your car, do with it what you wish.

Oh, and I tow a 21 footer also, but through the Rockies. You'll love the upgrade!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'd never thought of uprating trailer drum brakes to discs/rotors so I enjoyed reading this article - makes a lot of sense:

There are lots of other articles and videos too.

Ventilated discs/rotors would be a major improvement over drums when towing in mountainous regions.
My boat trailer has hydraulic surge disc brakes, but they are a solid disc that is sourced from a kia. The trailer is a 2014 model year, and I cannot justify a new trailer at this point. I will know in two or so years if I will keep it for another five years or trade it off for another boat. If I keep it I have every intention of ordering a new trailer with some features I wish this one had, one of those features being electric over hydraulic actuation with a more substantial disc setup. My car/tractor trailer with the electric drums I have no complaints about. With the brake controller I can dial the brake force in by the load to a point that I feel no load behind me.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You clearly have an opinion based on the phrasing of your question. I think I know what it is, but don't want to assume. The OP clearly states why he is looking to upgrade. Rather than spring a trap on the guy, why don't you just voice your thoughts?
Lol.. I love reading this. "I could see your opinion right through your question!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have read enough threads to see this tends to be a controversial topic.

Current setup is genuine VW pads and rotors. My boat trailer is dual axle surge disc setup. My car/tractor trailer is dual axle electric drums. I tow nearly every weekend seven months a year ~130 miles, a few times a year ill do 600+ mile trips. That is enough towing exposure that sudden unexpected stops have come up and the pedal fade I do not care for. I want to run a larger diameter rotor. I however want to keep it semi stock so that parts can be found without too much todoo if something comes up while traveling.

Converting the boat trailer to electric over hydraulic I have thought about, but it is more expensive than the brake parts for the VW.
You've experienced pedal-fade on your OEM pads/rotors? May I ask what the circumstances were?

I too tow a 20 foot boat uphill and down-hill to the local marina. I just got back from towing a 6k lb car/trailer through the catskills mountains at 75mph and had absolutely zero fade on my OEM setup.

I never understood why this was so controversial. The V10's and some others(?) had this setup, so it's not some crazy modification. I can attest to an improvement over my stock 2008(T2)(4-piston fronts) setup. The piston area between the 4 larger pistons and the smaller 6 is similar, so your looking at almost equivalent forces on the pads. So here's where basic physics comes in... Larger brake pad on larger diameter rotor = increased torque and swept area.
But I'm sure someone will chime in and give you some sort of doctoral thesis on how it's not possible to improve your braking or why you shouldn't do it in the first place. Don't listen to them. It's your car, do with it what you wish.

Oh, and I tow a 21 footer also, but through the Rockies. You'll love the upgrade!
The fastest braking-time I can find for the t1 Touareg actually comes from the v8, at 129 feet to go 60-0 mph
The 2015 Touareg TDI goes 60-0 mph in 122 feet.
You aren't comparing apples to apples, comparing two totally different generation vehicles to one another. I mean heck, the 2500hd trucks I've had ALSO had 330mm brakes, just like the Touareg! I guess the 2500hd's stop better (or at least just as good?) Nope, the same year 2500hd as the Touareg (same size brakes, bigger rear brakes) needs 145ft to go 60-0.

Let my last statement sink in for a second: a truck designed to pull nearly 50% more weight than the Touareg Bremobos has the same size front rotors as a stock Touareg. I'd be curious to know how the OEM pads and discs are fading for you guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Did you have to go with a different brake hose or was it a direct bolt up for you?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My boat trailer has hydraulic surge disc brakes, but they are a solid disc that is sourced from a kia. The trailer is a 2014 model year, and I cannot justify a new trailer at this point. I will know in two or so years if I will keep it for another 5 years or trade it off for another boat. If I keep it I have every intention of ordering a new trailer with some features I wish this one had, one of those features being electric over hydraulic actuation with a more substantial disc setup. My car/tractor trailer with the electric drums I have no complaints about. With the brake controller I can dial the brake force in by the load to a point that I feel no load behind me.
You understand water and electricity don't mix, right? Electric brakes on a boat trailer??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've experienced pedal-fade on your OEM pads/rotors? May I ask what the circumstances were?
The usual:
Car pulls out in front of me from side road
Car merges in front of me last minute no signal
Deer
Multiple downhill switch backs
One particular grade on a usual route that comes to a dead stop that

This being an internet forum with no audible context I am doing my best see your questioning as purely inquisitive, but there is a vibe of non belief or implication of poor driving habits. The brakes most of the times are sufficient, but I have had enough instances that I yearn for more. I don't really have any grand expectation for this to eliminate pedal fade 100%. However this seems like a pretty non invasive and inexpensive way to get more rotor in the wheel and hopefully provide some improvement.

I will be sure to post my impressions.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Notice I said "electric over hydraulic"
Seems like a lot of effort for a little 20 footer. No offense.

One day a car stopped in the middle of the road at the last second. My 20 footer had run out of hydraulic fluid (didn't realize a line went..). ABS still chirped all 4 of the Touareg tires in an emergency stop. In the middle of a hill. Going downhill. Going 50mph. Zero fade.
Pulling a 6k lb car through the Catskills @ 75mph.. zero fade what so ever.

The usual:
Car pulls out in front of me from side road
Car merges in front of me last minute no signal
Deer
Multiple downhill switch backs
One particular grade on a usual route that comes to a dead stop that

This being an internet forum with no audible context I am doing my best see your questioning as purely inquisitive, but there is a vibe of non belief or implication of poor driving habits. The brakes most of the times are sufficient, but I have had enough instances that I yearn for more. I don't really have any grand expectation for this to eliminate pedal fade 100%. However this seems like a pretty non invasive and inexpensive way to get more rotor in the wheel and hopefully provide some improvement.

I will be sure to post my impressions.
Again, based on my experiences with this car using OEM pads/rotors that can only be purchased AT the dealership, I'm blown away that you have ANY sort of braking issue with a little 20 foot boat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lol.. I love reading this. "I could see your opinion right through your question!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I too tow a 20 foot boat uphill and down-hill to the local marina. I just got back from towing a 6k lb car/trailer through the catskills mountains at 75mph and had absolutely zero fade on my OEM setup.

The fastest braking-time I can find for the t1 Touareg actually comes from the v8, at 129 feet to go 60-0 mph
The 2015 Touareg TDI goes 60-0 mph in 122 feet.
You aren't comparing apples to apples, comparing two totally different generation vehicles to one another. I mean heck, the 2500hd trucks I've had ALSO had 330mm brakes, just like the Touareg! I guess the 2500hd's stop better (or at least just as good?) Nope, the same year 2500hd as the Touareg (same size brakes, bigger rear brakes) needs 145ft to go 60-0.

Let my last statement sink in for a second: a truck designed to pull nearly 50% more weight than the Touareg Bremobos has the same size front rotors as a stock Touareg. I'd be curious to know how the OEM pads and discs are fading for you guys.
I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself. Have you actually done this swap to be able to speak from first hand knowledge, or do you just like shooting down other peoples ideas based on internet searches?
I am curious though, all of the modified vehicles in your tag line... You clearly appear to be an enthusiast. Why is your Touareg a sacred cow?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself. Have you actually done this swap to be able to speak from first hand knowledge, or do you just like shooting down other peoples ideas based on internet searches?
I am curious though, all of the modified vehicles in your tag line... You clearly appear to be an enthusiast. Why is your Touareg a sacred cow?
I think its a pretty legit question asking why a car equipped with brakes FAR more capable of stopping its legal tow capacity needs to be upgraded for a tiny little 20 foot boat. Of all the things one could upgrade, why, specifically, the quad piston Brembos that come stock?

For the record, I only have my Volkswagens that have ever modified in my signature which are probably only a third of the overall cars I've ever built.

The Touareg does everything, awesome. It handles phenominally. It has a braking system designed for far larger vehicles. It is absolutely excellent in deep snow, on the beach, or in the backwoods getting to a barricaded cabin. The gas mileage is out of this world. The common rail TDI starts up in an instant even when its -20*f. The electric auxiliary heater pumps enough heat into the cabin even on the coldest days to take the edge off. The air conditioning works great. The pano is fantastic for getting your hair messy. The car is almost completely silent, even at 70mph on the highway. The car has enough power to pull loads far heavier than you would ever think it can and still be completely comfortable, well-handling and get great mileage. Its plenty comfortable for 4 people. The interior is pretty large for hauling stone/logs/bricks/bags of soil etc. Plus, its a fairly rare vehicle and its very pleasant to look at.

For an everyday, all-around vehicle.. its one of the best on the market for my specific needs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts