Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I want to upgrade my 2005 audio system, problem is I'm not sure what stock system I have? There are a lot of mentions of RNS-510 head units, I don't know what that is? My stock system is a radio, cd navi (using discs) unit with a satellite 6 cd changer in back. Can anyone determine what unit I have?

2. I have read some of the problems associated with aftermarket units? Is there any advice anyone can give on buying a current modern unit and what extra items would be needed for installation and any tips on the installation?

·
Registered
177 Posts
1. I want to upgrade my 2005 audio system, problem is I'm not sure what stock system I have? There are a lot of mentions of RNS-510 head units, I don't know what that is? My stock system is a radio, cd navi (using discs) unit with a satellite 6 cd changer in back. Can anyone determine what unit I have?

2. I have read some of the problems associated with aftermarket units? Is there any advice anyone can give on buying a current modern unit and what extra items would be needed for installation and any tips on the installation?
Dave, upload a photo of your head unit. Typically a 2005 Touareg would have an RNS-510 head unit fitted from the factory. Do some online searching and within this forum for the RNS-510.

Pete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After some research, I matched a number I found on Youtube. My audio unit id definitely the RNS-510. I hope this woll help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
you likely have the digital Dynaudio amp. You can verify that by looking at the lable on the amp next to the spare tire in the rear. If so you'll need to buy a specialized controller to use the amp and have the new head unit turn it off and on. You'll also need a steering wheel controller if you want to retain those controls. You'll loose output to the dash display. The controllers cost ~150 ea. Good luck!

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
73 Posts
You can check what nav unit you have by finding your build list.
There is a piece of paper stuck next to the spare tyre with all option codes printed.
Or you can ask your dealer to print all the build codes.
Then go here to decode VAG Codes
Alternatively, you can buy some time on Erwin and get your build list which is already decoded. (And download as many documents as you can for your car for future)
With a good connection you can download everything in 1 hour.

That will tell you for certain what it has, unless of course it has previously been swapped out.

Are you using DVD or CD nav discs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dave, upload a photo of your head unit. Typically a 2005 Touareg would have an RNS-510 head unit fitted from the factory. Do some online searching and within this forum for the RNS-510.

Pete.
No, the 05 with cd navigation is the older rns2

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts

You have the rns2 system with the digital amp.
The amp is above your cd changer.
If you go through the process of replacing your factory speakers and head unit, you can use the wires from the amp plugs.
I may have I pic of the wires I spliced into on mine.
I'll look and post back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, these are the only pics I took when I rewired a new amp and speakers in my 05 touareg.
Sorry the quality isn't there.
If it weren't so cold here I'd get better pics for you.

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
73 Posts
RNS2 may or may not have the amp. Need to confirm either by investigating or by build codes.
I have RNS2 but only have the passive 10 speaker system. No digital amp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts