Club Touareg Forum banner

Updated Sat Nav and lost steering wheel controls

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nickyt 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have bought a 2006 v10 which has the dvd sat nav fitted but didnt come with the disc, so I went on ebay and ordered a replacement. When the disc came it also came with 2 other discs cambus update step 1 and firmware update step 2 and then the maps disc, so since using all the discs I have now lost use of the volume controls on my steering wheel, the radio station is no longer displayed on the screen in the clocks and the stereo also does not turn off when I turn the ignition on. Does anyone know why this has happened and is there anything I can do to get it back to how it was, I wish I hadnt bothered trying to get the sat nav working because it is rubbish anyway and keeps telling me my car is off road!!
Thanks in advance

Sue

#3 ·
The DVD nav was a in-between model. It can work on both the T1 that used the Canbus 1.6 and the T2 that used the Canbus 2.0 protocol. You have flashed software that updated the Nav to only speak in 2.0 protocol while your vehicle only speaks in 1.6 protocol. Therefore the nav and the car are no longer talking to each other.

Fortunately, others have accidentally flashed the wrong software onto the DVD nav before you and (finally) someone came up with a way to fix it.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/rns2-in-2008-canbus-2-0-help-please-153930.html

Once you get the canbus corrected, just leave the the nav map running on the display. The system should keep self correcting and eventually it should start displaying you as driving on the roads instead of driving near the roads. Sometimes it takes a hundred or a few hundred miles. This is a "feature" that crops up on the units when a software flash clears all the memory.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Not stupid at all...now getting educated and more experienced ;)

Reactions: SueSpencer
#8 ·
FYI, this owner is in the UK.

#9 ·
As mentioned in the thread, flashing the canbus 1.6 update should get the steering wheel controls working and the unit turning on and off with the ignition.

You will still be driving off road, but let the nav unit run for a few hundred miles. The nav unit uses the gps info, but it also gets information from the car such as compass direction, steering wheel angles, speed, etc. It takes a while, but the nav will eventually figure it out and suddenly you will be driving on the roads. I have only seen this happen on the dvd nav after an software update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.