Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going down too many dead end road before getting a final verdict (bad rings and/or cylinder wall in the #10 cylinder) I'm trying to sell what should have been an awesome vehicle. So disappointed it's turned out this way - sitting mockingly in the garage for longer than I ever drive it! Well, maybe my loss is your - parts stock?

The truck starts, drives, runs fine. There does seem to be a parasitic drain somewhere that kills the battery once an a while. So the two brand new batteries might not be as reliable as they otherwise might be. There might be an issue with the number 1 ECU.

It has the air suspension and center/rear locking diffs. Interior is in good shape other than one small tear in the back arm rest. Exterior is in very good condition with the largest flaw a scratch on the passengers rear door thanks to my kids trying to squeeze a bike through too small a space.

I'm hopping to get more than the $150 and a free tow that Pick-n-Pull offered me for it. No, I won't part it out. Yes, I'll assist with shipping if it makes sense. No, I don't think my Touareg with a bum engine is worth $4,000 USD. Just hoping to get a little back out of it and into the hands of someone who can keep theirs going for longer. I'll be happy to answer any questions or provide additional photos.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Location? Miles? More pics of the interior? Rust?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in Reno, NV. It’s got 187,000 miles on it, and zero rust or corrosion. I’m out of town for the week so will get more pictures as soon as I’m back. (Might be able to get them sooner…)

Anything specific you’d like to see from the interior?

·
Registered
455 Posts
thanks. Further and more mileage than I'm looking for. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Touareg, I just got an 07 that I thought only needed a power steering pump and upon disassembly I found that the timing gears for the engine we're destroyed by a failed bearing and the noise was a loose gear floating around. Needless to say i was gutted. For 14 of the 17 weeks I've owned it it's been disassembled in my driveway, My wife and I kicked around the idea of scrapping it, but fortunately she likes it and I am finally able to get a good used engine for it tomorrow, I'm so excited I can't sleep. I do feel your pain though, and I hope you get a replacement, the v6 tdi one is far less complicated and equally as comfortable and almost as quick. for what it's worth. That's what I got her before I decided I needed one of my own. If you do decide going a v10 route again put the service history at a higher priority than lower miles. Found that out the hard way.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you were able to find the replacement engine; some I saw cost more than the vehicle is worth. But then 'worth' is a relative term for these! Did you take the engine out through the front instead of down out the bottom? I was never quite comfortable enough with my ability/time/room to pull the engine to give it a shot. Best of luck getting it back running. Time will tell if I end up getting another, but would probably look to the V6 TDI as you mentioned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad you were able to find the replacement engine; some I saw cost more than the vehicle is worth. But then 'worth' is a relative term for these! Did you take the engine out through the front instead of down out the bottom? I was never quite comfortable enough with my ability/time/room to pull the engine to give it a shot. Best of luck getting it back running. Time will tell if I end up getting another, but would probably look to the V6 TDI as you mentioned.
I opted to go through the bottom however removed everything from the front so that i could just roll out the engine and trans on the dolly without having a lift. Also I had everything removed from the front already to change out the power steering pump. If i only knew how long my treg would be laid up I would have opted to back it in the garage, but awewell i used to live in upstate ny without a garage and did a diesel swap on a tahoe under several feet of snow so I think ill be allright in the worst elemants NC can dish out. As far as difficulty it hasnt been too bad, theres enough videos on youtube to make anyone a master mechanic. But indeed the time is a huge catch. I hope whoever bought yours will be enjoying some delicious parts. Infact I will probably end up with some of them, as parts for these are hard to come by and theres very few choices. I get pretty excited when I can find a new part lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts