Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As strange this all seems, my 2016 TDI will remain parked in storage for far longer than I had planned. i'm guessing it will be early June when I will make it back to begin driving it again. Due to a flight schedule when I put it in storage, I wasn't able to prep it well.

I did not disconnect the battery [didn't know until I returned that it was below the driver's seat. No wonder I couldn't find it!] I suspect a long trickle charge would be best for the battery before I even try to start it.

I filled the tank with fresh fuel, but did not include any additive for stabilization. Any hints on the fuel? I fear algae / mold growth, but I think that would be really rare. Should I double dose Power Service / other?

Since there is no dipstick, I can't easily take a look at the oil [the level was fine when I parked it and only had about 8000 km [5000 mi] on it since the change. I don't really want to crawl under it and drain any oil if possible. Can snattlerakes get into closed garage doors and hang out in cars? No snakes in Alaska, so I'm about as clueless about them as I can be. I did sprinkle some moth balls around the tires and the perimeter of the car to keep rodents at bay, I hope.

When it is ready to try to start, should I try not allowing it to start while cranking it? Maybe override the start feature and let the fuel pumps run for a bit? How in the world can that be done, if possible?

Thanks for any hints, though obviously I don't need them today! FWIW, It's parked in indoor unheated storage in Las Vegas. No Anchorage winter temps. :cool:

Best wishes to you all in this era of agonizing re-appraisal, as we old hippies would say.

Peace.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did you inflate the tires to their maximum pressure? If not you may find they are all flat spotted. In a warm climate a few miles on the road hopefully might sort this out.

Can anyone take the car out to exercise it for you in the interim?

Regarding the oil, 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first, is the service interval I'd stick with so it may be due a change anyway.

·
Registered
658 Posts
As strange this all seems, my 2016 TDI will remain parked in storage for far longer than I had planned. i'm guessing it will be early June when I will make it back to begin driving it again. Due to a flight schedule when I put it in storage, I wasn't able to prep it well.

I did not disconnect the battery [didn't know until I returned that it was below the driver's seat. No wonder I couldn't find it!] I suspect a long trickle charge would be best for the battery before I even try to start it.

Trickle charger is better for sure - leave battery connected

I filled the tank with fresh fuel, but did not include any additive for stabilization. Any hints on the fuel? I fear algae / mold growth, but I think that would be really rare. Should I double dose Power Service / other?

If algae is a concern use Power Service Bio Kleen. Otherwise, for only a few months I think Power Service silver bottle is plenty for you - but definitely add it

Since there is no dipstick, I can't easily take a look at the oil [the level was fine when I parked it and only had about 8000 km [5000 mi] on it since the change. I don't really want to crawl under it and drain any oil if possible. Can snattlerakes get into closed garage doors and hang out in cars? No snakes in Alaska, so I'm about as clueless about them as I can be. I did sprinkle some moth balls around the tires and the perimeter of the car to keep rodents at bay, I hope.

What year car? Just look look at the oil level through the rns unit - it will tell you the level w/ the electronic dipstick.

When it is ready to try to start, should I try not allowing it to start while cranking it? Maybe override the start feature and let the fuel pumps run for a bit? How in the world can that be done, if possible?

Over thinking it for only 2 mos - just start it - unless something is amiss the fuel will not drain back from the injectors

Thanks for any hints, though obviously I don't need them today! FWIW, It's parked in indoor unheated storage in Las Vegas. No Anchorage winter temps. :cool:

Best wishes to you all in this era of agonizing re-appraisal, as we old hippies would say.

Peace.
I replied in bold - good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most were parked by VW for longer and I bet they just charged the battery if necessary and started them up.
Since you can't really do anything don;t worry, be happy!
When you drive out put some additive in the fuel and drive.
If there is a problem you will find out soon enough.
If you can get someone to put a battery maintainer on for you that would be a big plus as the small drains from the CPU etc will run the battery down more than you would want.
The battery maintainer can be connected at the jump start pins under the hood. Maintainers are much better than trickle chargers as they change the voltage to best, well, maintaing voltages over time.
If you can't get the battery maintainer hooked up then your battery may survive or not.
Good luck!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hmm 6-7 mos throws a slight curve ball.. def. a battery trickle charger or maintainer, definitely fuel stabilizer, maybe (if you want) put it on jack stands so the tires don't flatten out

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have a toureg (on thi forum as toureg has same enfine as my car) so apologies in advance but if like in either of my two cars you can get in, not press the brake /assuming it's auto and then turn the key, it should begin the priming process. In some cars when you open the door after unlock priming begins.

My 2nd car is currently sat and has been for 6 weeks, I am now starting to get to the stage where it feels like it has been too long and that I need to get it started but engine is apart so thanks to those who have replied above as I feel a little more reassured

1 - 7 of 7 Posts