Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what this plug is ?

Looking around where the battery is at the front of that seat trying to figure out a problem with a seperate item location.

Noticed this plug (closer to the bottom of the wide angle photo) and wondered if it is something i should be aware of. I would have thought that if a loom was built for a certain vehicle it would only have what it really needed. I've more or less heard this from you guys also in the past with other wiring looms.

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
870 Posts

Looking around where the battery is at the front of that seat trying to figure out a problem with a seperate item location.

Noticed this plug (closer to the bottom of the wide angle photo) and wondered if it is something i should be aware of. I would have thought that if a loom was built for a certain vehicle it would only have what it really needed. I've more or less heard this from you guys also in the past with other wiring looms.

cheers
Every car I've ever had has had extra plugs for optional or market-specific equipment - it's not cost-effective to built a loom for each specific vehicle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Over the years several people have asked about a strange spare plug near the battery.

From memory cars that were sent on long sea voyages for delivery to far off places had a plug lying on the floor that enabled the unloading stevedores at the receiving port to be able to plug in a battery pack to start the car if needed.

I've tried to find a previous picture that I know exists but no joy.

I think that "starter" plug was on a short lead that was detachable so that plugged into something else and perhaps that's what you have found?

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
One day, I need to find out what that plug does. There are two possibilities.

1. It was where chargers plug into, to top off the battery. It would be used by VW prior to delivery to the dealer. The early T1 shipped with a window solar charger, which was removed at the dealer.

2. There was a lighted door sill option. It is a circuit that supplies power for this purpose.

The charger idea should have power at all times.

The lighted sill option should only be powered when it is a logical for the door sill to be lit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Every car I've ever had has had extra plugs for optional or market-specific equipment - it's not cost-effective to built a loom for each specific vehicle.
This is absolutely not true for Volkswagen/Audi vehicles. Harnesses are built per vehicle equipment. I have done a lot of retrofitting on my Touareg and have had to create every single wire harness required.

Manufacturers don’t just throw in hundreds of feet of spare wire per vehicle lol. They want to only give you what is only bare minimum necessary. Otherwise our Touaregs would be pre-wired for air suspension, 4xMotion, heated windshield, ambient lighting, parking heater, rear seat entertainment, etc.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chewie this was my understanding also and one of the reasons the initial questioned was ask

·
Registered
15 Posts

cheers
Thanks for this post, I had no idea where my battery was located... (seriously I had to jump my TDI Jetta and hunted under the hood for 20 minutes before opening the manual)

·
Registered
27 Posts

cheers
Hi. One way of figuring it out would be to check which fuse (most likely one in the left or right dash or the e-box in the engine compartment) this plug connects to, even though there may not even be a fuse installed, so I would test the vacant sockets first. Chances are that the other ends of the wires terminate at some fuse sockets. If and once you know which fuse, you can use a fuse diagram to identify the purpose of the plug, maybe. You could also measure the plug and see which wires have voltage depending on various operating states of the vehicle (ignition on/off, etc). But your best bet is to find the fuses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts