Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen that Unitronic has a Stage 1 tune available since last December 12 2019?

UNITRONIC STAGE 1 : 288HP / 511LB-FT STOCK POWER: 240HP / 406LB-FT

I'm just about out of the 10/100 power train anyway, and I think the intake manifold has to be removed for a de-sooting. I was thinking of getting the manifold taken care of, then getting a dyno run on the stock engine. Then getting the stage one tune, and another dyno run for before/after comparison. I figure the whole thing would cost near $1000. I have no exceptional reason for getting a tune except for towing, and otherwise possible slightly better fuel economy overall.

If I pull the trigger it will be in May or June this year. Any reason I should NOT? Or choose a different tune?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I personally recommend the Malone Stage 2 tune with EGR and DPF/SCR deletes. Absolutely phenomenal power delivery, fuel economy, and less worrying about the emissions bollocks failing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem with emissions deletes, in Connecticut, is that they are visually inspected for compliance with mirrors, pictures of location and correctness. And also OBD2 diagnostics. Each time I go through emissions every two years, the inspection tech opens a computer program that leads him through visual diagnostic compliance. If part of the DPF or DEF injection was missing from an under-body visual inspection, my Touareg would fail. Also any OBD2 non-compliance would also fail. He physically uses an inspection mirror with a camera attachment, and takes a picture of the DPF. Yep, I've seen it. Even if there was a way to circumvent that, I wouldn't do it. Maybe when the Touareg turns 20 years old (classic car status and no more emissions testing required).

So far, after 7 years of ownership since new, no emissions inspection failures. Cars that don't pass must get repaired. I know that leaving the emissions DFP/SCR in place means more likelihood of eventual failure, but that's life. Currently my most recent VCDS scan revealed that the ash load in my DPF is only about 25% loaded. That's pretty good for 96,000 miles. I guess I get enough high speed highway miles to get regens.

I'm really only looking for a towing power boost, knowing there will be some price to pay at the pump.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally recommend the Malone Stage 2 tune with EGR and DPF/SCR deletes. Absolutely phenomenal power delivery, fuel economy, and less worrying about the emissions bollocks failing.
Agreed, but be sure to run something like Torque while towing to monitor your EGT's - they can get up there when towing.. (or even driving..umm.. fast for a period of time)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agreed, but be sure to run something like Torque while towing to monitor your EGT's - they can get up there when towing.. (or even driving..umm.. fast for a period of time)
The egts are nothing on these compared to smaller tdis....ive ran a bunch of logs and there is no worries, been a few years deleted it runs really cool even towing compared to my jetta with similar mods....the jetta ran a lot of egts and still had no issues for the 200+k i drove it deleted and tuned.

If you want to worry about egts then you should worry stock, leaving that exhaust crap in is the worst thing for these engines

·
Registered
20 Posts
1600+ degrees doesn't bother you?
Stock I couldn't get it to pass 1450.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1600+ degrees doesn't bother you?
Stock I couldn't get it to pass 1450.
Not at all...like i said my touareg has been tuned for 3 years with not a single issue with egts..and i drive alot harder than most people here.....second of all my jetta had a factory egt limiter of 1750f that would limit fuel once reached...i removed that and amped the fuelling to the point where the high pressure pump would run out over 4500rpm...that car seen countless 1800+ degrees......that engine now has close to half a million kms on it and has never been touched. So worry all you want, but im not

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the TorqueAPP for a very long time. I have seen EGT's up near 1400°F towing on uphill highway pulls @ 65mpg. This is all at stock. I currently am still bone stock with no mods. I think the high EGT's were due to the DPF regen happening while towing. It seemed like it didn't happen for the entirety of my trips, only a couple times during.

When I get a tune, i will watch closely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not at all...like i said my touareg has been tuned for 3 years with not a single issue with egt's.
Sounds like you and I drive pretty similarly, and that's reassuring to hear!
What's the longest stretch of time you'd say you've held over 1500 / 1600 while driving the touareg, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Subscribed for interest

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unitronic isn't known for their diesel tuning prowess, I'd be extremely apprehensive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only problem with emissions deletes, in Connecticut, is that they are visually inspected for compliance with mirrors, pictures of location and correctness. And also OBD2 diagnostics. Each time I go through emissions every two years, the inspection tech opens a computer program that leads him through visual diagnostic compliance. If part of the DPF or DEF injection was missing from an under-body visual inspection, my Touareg would fail. Also any OBD2 non-compliance would also fail. He physically uses an inspection mirror with a camera attachment, and takes a picture of the DPF. Yep, I've seen it. Even if there was a way to circumvent that, I wouldn't do it. Maybe when the Touareg turns 20 years old (classic car status and no more emissions testing required).

So far, after 7 years of ownership since new, no emissions inspection failures. Cars that don't pass must get repaired. I know that leaving the emissions DFP/SCR in place means more likelihood of eventual failure, but that's life. Currently my most recent VCDS scan revealed that the ash load in my DPF is only about 25% loaded. That's pretty good for 96,000 miles. I guess I get enough high speed highway miles to get regens.

I'm really only looking for a towing power boost, knowing there will be some price to pay at the pump.
MOVE

·
Registered
216 Posts
My 2 cents on my Malone tune would be the same as chewblekka. Amazing power delivery, awesome sound with full delete, runs smooth, no problems. Only worry right now is with the possible coolant leak from the valve under intake manifold and the HPFP ****ting the bed. Only worries with the car. Everything else about the car is solid.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, moving out of Connecticut and the North-East altogether will happen for sure when I decide to retire (10 yrs or so maybe). I will either sell my house and move altogether, or rent out my house and buy a small place, more remote, big property somewhere in the south, midwest or southwest. For now, I still have a decent secure factory job, retirement savings, and a couple hobbies that aren't too expensive. Moving only because of emissions would be weird.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will pull the trigger on the tune sometime around June for sure. But it needs to be by someone local, available, and something that won't F%$K up other things. I am not looking for a hot rod (0-60 = who cares), just more torque for towing really, maybe get some of the throttle lag to go away too. Any increase in fuel economy overall (when NOT towing) would just be gravy. Would love to get near 30 mpg again. Have to remain emissions compliant, I really don't need the headache of trying to skirt the rules. If they can be compliant with a twin turbo V8 diesel in Europe, why not here?

Currently running at 19 mpg back and forth to work with minimal highway runs. It only climbs to about 23 mpg avg in the warmer months. Connecticut is somewhat hilly terrain, a lot of uphill roads, even if they aren't mountainous it affects fuel economy. My 17 minute, 9 mile each way commute is 45 mph max, (plus 1-1/2 mile 65 mph highway) 15 traffic lights (usually get most green early morning), and a 22 mph average speed, I've observed.

My ATC7X20 toy hauler trailer is around (close guessing) 5500 pounds loaded with my dirt bike and 50 gallons of fresh water for a 3 day weekend trip. It pulls great at 65 mph currently but would love some more power for those steeper grades in New England. I plan on doing some south and west trips with the trailer in the future. I can see Colorado mountains, and perhaps even as far afield as Utah, and maybe Idaho as well in the next couple of years. MORE power in the hills would be great, and I really like having the SUV instead of a pickup truck.

I have scoped out the newer offerings (pickup truck) but honestly, I could spend $15,000 on future repairs over 15 years on the Touareg and still be WAY ahead of buying a new $50,000 pickup truck (vehicle property taxes PLUS insurance costs $$$$ per year). No comparison there. I remember reading something that goes like this:

"The cheapest vehicle is the one you drive right now"

This is so true unless you downsize significantly. A new vehicle would just cost a lot more. The Touareg is a keeper. I can't figure out why so many people ditched theirs during dieselgate. Makes no sense to me financially. It's a vehicle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will pull the trigger on the tune sometime around June for sure. But it needs to be by someone local, available, and something that won't F%$K up other things. I am not looking for a hot rod (0-60 = who cares), just more torque for towing really, maybe get some of the throttle lag to go away too. Any increase in fuel economy overall (when NOT towing) would just be gravy. Would love to get near 30 mpg again. Have to remain emissions compliant, I really don't need the headache of trying to skirt the rules. If they can be compliant with a twin turbo V8 diesel in Europe, why not here?

Currently running at 19 mpg back and forth to work with minimal highway runs. It only climbs to about 23 mpg avg in the warmer months. Connecticut is somewhat hilly terrain, a lot of uphill roads, even if they aren't mountainous it affects fuel economy. My 17 minute, 9 mile each way commute is 45 mph max, (plus 1-1/2 mile 65 mph highway) 15 traffic lights (usually get most green early morning), and a 22 mph average speed, I've observed.

My ATC7X20 toy hauler trailer is around (close guessing) 5500 pounds loaded with my dirt bike and 50 gallons of fresh water for a 3 day weekend trip. It pulls great at 65 mph currently but would love some more power for those steeper grades in New England. I plan on doing some south and west trips with the trailer in the future. I can see Colorado mountains, and perhaps even as far afield as Utah, and maybe Idaho as well in the next couple of years. MORE power in the hills would be great, and I really like having the SUV instead of a pickup truck.

I have scoped out the newer offerings (pickup truck) but honestly, I could spend $15,000 on future repairs over 15 years on the Touareg and still be WAY ahead of buying a new $50,000 pickup truck (vehicle property taxes PLUS insurance costs $$$$ per year). No comparison there. I remember reading something that goes like this:

"The cheapest vehicle is the one you drive right now"

This is so true unless you downsize significantly. A new vehicle would just cost a lot more. The Touareg is a keeper. I can't figure out why so many people ditched theirs during dieselgate. Makes no sense to me financially. It's a vehicle.

1 - Europe has FAR different emissions requirements than we do. Ours are some of the most stringent on the planet. Europe and the rest of the world has a billion different cars (both gas and diesel..) that the USA isn't allowed to carry
2- Because people dropped $70k on these, were offered a 5-digit lump sum and then traded the car in while they still had enough value to buy another new car (like a Cayenne, q7 etc) for not much extra cash out of pocket.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been running Unitronic tunes on both my 3.0TDI's for almost a year now (tuned February 2019) They used my cars as development vehicles. They had their European partner present to tune them. He specializes in Diesels. The owner of Unitronic is a personal friend of mine and I actually helped him start up the business around 2002/2003. At that time he was ONLY tuning TDI's. All of my TDI's (7 of them total) plus three 2.0T's have been tuned by them. They do have the knowledge and expertise. However market share dictates that TDI is not an area worthy of spending much time on.
They have NO intentions of releasing any delete files. So if that is what you are seeking go with Malone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts