Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know where this oil might have come from? or have I just driven over something?

Drivers Side (Australia) so same side as the coolant reservoir and wiper wash tank, other side is oil free.
It is definitely a really light clear oil, not oily water.
I cant see anything currently dripping.
But it is all over the garage floor and bottom of the engine bay on that side...
(PS. no those are not cigarette buts in the photo on the garage floor, they are leaves)

MY17 Touareg
105,000km

Can someone who knows what oils are used where, tell me what oil is still completely clear after 100,000km?
Road surface Wood Asphalt Floor Water
Road surface Wood Asphalt Landscape Flooring
Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Synthetic rubber

Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades

Road surface Wood Asphalt Floor Water

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Synthetic rubber

Road surface Wood Asphalt Landscape Flooring

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Power steering or brake fluid?? Water from the aircon can have a slight oily feel to it imho.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Power steering or brake fluid?? Water from the aircon can have a slight oily feel to it imho.
I don't think is brake fluid, I know what that feels like unless something has changed with brake fluid in the last 20 years since I was tinkering with cars.

Def not the aircon drain. That is on the opposite side, and evaporates quickly.

I think you might be onto something with Power Steering Fluid, I took the cap off the power steering reservoir and felt the oil and it seems the same. Only thing is that the reservoir is still full......

So is there any other oil that feels the same as power steering fluid?

Andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Andrew
2014 -app 105000 Km-Noticed oily fluid on the garage floor yesterday. Car has been sitting for about a week. Coolant reservoir is down- will check on possible hose / termination failure. Did you get your issue resolved?
Klaus

·
Registered
09 TDi
952 Posts
Oil spreads quite a bit especially if it's a lighter fluid such as PS So I wouldn't put too much credence in the reservoir level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Klaus,

I looked everywhere, could not find where it was coming from.
Took it to the shop, and they put it on the hoist and we both looked underneath with the car running and we could not see anything leaking.
There was oil all up in the wheel well and they suggested that maybe I had run over something? which seems a bit odd, but with lack of any other evidence there did not seem to be any other answer.
The power steering pump is on the opposite side from the leak

It is definitely oil, not coolant. BUT I did have a low coolant alert the other day and topped up the coolant overflow reservoir. I cant think how these two things could be related though. I put the low coolant alert down to having been driving around in 42 degree Celsius weather for a week. I figured some had just evaporated over time.

Closer look today and it looks like its coming from the water pump
Are you saying you have found oil or water leaking from your coolant pump?

There are not other alerts going off, so for now I am just going to monitor the situation and see what transpires.

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Klaus,

I looked everywhere, could not find where it was coming from.
Took it to the shop, and they put it on the hoist and we both looked underneath with the car running and we could not see anything leaking.
There was oil all up in the wheel well and they suggested that maybe I had run over something? which seems a bit odd, but with lack of any other evidence there did not seem to be any other answer.
The power steering pump is on the opposite side from the leak

It is definitely oil, not coolant. BUT I did have a low coolant alert the other day and topped up the coolant overflow reservoir. I cant think how these two things could be related though. I put the low coolant alert down to having been driving around in 42 degree Celsius weather for a week. I figured some had just evaporated over time.

Are you saying you have found oil or water leaking from your coolant pump?

There are not other alerts going off, so for now I am just going to monitor the situation and see what transpires.

Andy
Hi Andy
It is definitely anti freeze, not oil. I'll tackle the water pump next week. Stange thing was it started to leak while sitting in the garage. I notice a stream of water coming out from underneath, I thought maybe it was defrosting some snow and ice that got in there while driving through the mountains in a snow storm 2 week ago in -30. When I touched it I knew it was not melting snow.
I hope all is good for you for the next 100000km. This was the first issue I have had since new. Not too bad.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,605 Posts
Andy,
the workshop explanation (you may have runover something) is not completely without some credit.
To eliminate it, any chance you can clean up the remnants around the inside of the rim, top of the 'shock housing' and (probably) inside the wheel arch as well.
Then inspect those areas on a regular basis. If it returns, you know the problem is with the car, if not, you dodged it.
Are you in Perth?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andy,
the workshop explanation (you may have runover something) is not completely without some credit.
To eliminate it, any chance you can clean up the remnants around the inside of the rim, top of the 'shock housing' and (probably) inside the wheel arch as well.
Then inspect those areas on a regular basis. If it returns, you know the problem is with the car, if not, you dodged it.
Are you in Perth?
Yes in Perth
I have not given it a good clean yet, but it's on my list. Either that or go bush again and cover it in red dust :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts