Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am on day 2 of ownership of a 2011 V6 FSI and while looking under the hood I noticed there is no insulation/heat shield attached to the hood. Should there be something there? I know I have had cars with and swear some without insulation. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I believe in the T3 series vehicles they only fit the sound insulation under the hood if it is a Diesel engine.

Stuart...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I believe you can buy the insulation from the dealer as an upgrade, all the holes are there. Mine is a 2005 and also came "bare". Wonder what the Germans were thinking, to them this is probably a $10 item. Then again, $10 was what got GM into trouble when they picked the cheapest ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My 2012 and the wife's 2015 both have the insulation attached to the bottom of the engine hood. Must be to keep things quieter.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
There's no rhyme or reason to it. Some get the insulation; some don't. All should have it. My 2007 did not have it and I ordered one. Be sure to get the clips, too, when ordering.

My 2012 came with the insulation.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
There's no rhyme or reason to it. Some get the insulation; some don't. All should have it. My 2007 did not have it and I ordered one. Be sure to get the clips, too, when ordering. My 2012 came with the insulation.
Your 2012 is a TDI, was your 2007 also a diesel or was it gas? If it was diesel I stand corrected.

Stuart...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
2007 was a gasser. V8 FSI. There weren't many V8s that year here. Lots of decontenting.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
^^The list of decontented items on a 2007 was longer then the list of installed items. :(

All 2004 had the hood insulation. After 2004 there was a random mix of hood insulation. You could go on the lot and sometimes find a few with it.

Odds were more then 50% were shipped without it.

It was easier to find a Touareg with Air Suspension then to find one with the hood insulation! :eek:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
How much do they ask for the insulation and clips?
It was around $85...cannot recall exactly. Dealer had the clips. I would try parts.vw.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '04 had one. I just replaced with 3 different layers of Dynamat sound dampening materials. I through the stock insulation out. My hood sounds like a solid wood door when you knock on it. I add other sound dampening under the rear seats and trunk area. Just easy to access areas without tearing up carpet or trim. Now my V8 is far quieter. Luxury car quiet. Mostly hear wind noise now. Bottom line you may want to consider investing in sound dampening instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went looking for the insulation under the hood of my "new to me" 2011 Touareg V-6 and found none so I will be talking to the dealer one of these days about that. So I must have been one of the "lucky" ones who didn't get the insulation under the hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies and confirming. I like the idea of having something there so I'll reach out to the retailer.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
You can talk to the dealer, but doubt they will help you with it other then giving you prices for everything. I don't think mine had one from new either. I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can talk to the dealer, but doubt they will help you with it other then giving you prices for everything. I don't think mine had one from new either. I'm not worried about it.
Sorry, I should have mentioned talk to the retailer to buy the parts! I'm adding it to the list but it is not A1 priority! I want to tackle some paint protection film first then move down the list.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, there is very little engine noise. I think the noise from the M/S tires cancels out whatever engine noise there might be. Anyway, our other vehicle is a diesel so a little noise doesn't bother me much. I was just interested in the thread about the insulating in the hood.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was surprised to find this out on a test drive last month too. The diesel had it the VR6 did not. I suggest this was not right to the sales agent and he offered to put it onto the VR6 - said it was about $100USD but would 'throw it in"... I would be interested to compare with and without but won't get a change so will just live 'with it'.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It was standard originally, along with the nice black plastic engine compartment shrouds.

Now I suspect it only comes on the Tdi as a sound deadener.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts