Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. I realized I shouldn't have posted questions in the DIY thread and wanted to go back to edit it...

So why is there a time limit on edits? Other vBulletin forums allow edits beyond 15 minutes. Is this a forum-imposed limit?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Edit time limit? There is a way around it!

I also would like to know why edits are time limited. Sometimes you find an error in an original post you made, and you would like to correct it, or you would like to update the post with new information that makes the post make more sense.

I have noticed some members have updated their posts long after the original post time & date, so it can be done...

I wonder that this policy should not be reviewed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree. Would be useful to coorect and update.

Administrators: Would it be possible to remove the time limit on editing please?

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
I have noticed some members have updated their posts long after the original post time & date, so it can be done...

I wonder that this policy should not be reviewed.
The only members allowed to edit at any time is Admins and Mods. One admin told me why they did a time limit at one time and I can't remember the specifics of it.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
They do it so pissed off, or slighted member who feels wronged or cheated but are knowledgable members cannot go back and wipe out all of their posts, 1 by 1.

Yup :) This is exactly right. If you need to edit a post any site team member will be happy to help. Otherwise just post an update to the thread (which will be more likely to get read anyway)

·
Registered
207 Posts
A good example of the value of not having the editing function disabled is on the VW Navi forum.

One member has edited the Navi firmwares and has posted them on the forum. When there are updates to it he can edit the first post in the thread where the download links are so that users don't have to trawl through the whole thread. Any comments/questions are then added to the end of the thread in the normal way.

Yup :) This is exactly right. If you need to edit a post any site team member will be happy to help. Otherwise just post an update to the thread (which will be more likely to get read anyway)
If it's just a typo correction or an amendment for the sake of clarity it seem a hassle to involve a site team member. Having said that what is the process to do this please Janet.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
It's important to remember that if you update an early post in a thread most members will never know it. They read new posts and updates as they perk to the surface chronologically. Currently you can edit a post for 30 minutes. This should be enough time to fix typos and add last minute thoughts. Again, if you need help after that window has expired, any site team member will be happy to help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks again Janet - I now know who to send corrections/updates to; so what is the process?

Do I tell you which thread, then copy the whole post and show any amendments in say another colour ,or do you need "fourth line second word should be xxxxx", or please insert this word in the 6th line after the second word .. etc etc ? And is this done by sending a PM?

Does still seem a lot of hassle for both you and the posters....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Janet, I'm in total agreement with the time limit on edits. Getting help to make a correction from a moderator will allow the moderator or admin to make the call on if it is "new info" or not. And, as stated, anything considered "new info" belongs in a new message in the thread so all subscribers will see it.

Also, I do like the point made earlier that it encourages thought and preparation on posts along with time spent to make sure spelling and grammar are acceptable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts