Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now been told by two separate dealerships that the rear toe angle on my MY13 TDI cannot be adjusted within specifications. Neither had any clue as to what, if anything, I should do about it. Tires don't show abnormal wear, there is no pulling, and there's never been any sort of damage to the vehicle. Has anyone else heard this nonsense before?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,196 Posts
It can happen if the adjustment is carried out by eccentric bolt - but a good workshop should be able to explain that to you.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Technicians bugger it up because they do it wrong.

You start from the top measurements and work your way down. The machines factor in that when you change the toe with the TRE's the camber will change. It knows how much it will change so lets you set it right the first time without going back and forth.

If they follow the machines instructions on what order to do them in and do them right everything should come into spec as he does the last settings.

Do not allow them to offset the castor for road camber. It has to be exactly to the machines spec!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If the "dealerships" are VW dealerships, stop using them for alignments. Find a reputable tire / alignment shop that specializes in this. Use them. Using a dealership for alignments is like buying seafood at a steakhouse.

I've had my '13 aligned several times. Never any problem getting it to spec.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the same issue on my 04. The lower arms were slightly bent and I bought new ones that fixed the problem, the ride got even better also. I had excessive wear on the rear wheels, but no tracking or otherwise obvious faults.

But this was a T1.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If the "dealerships" are VW dealerships, stop using them for alignments. Find a reputable tire / alignment shop that specializes in this. Use them. Using a dealership for alignments is like buying seafood at a steakhouse.

I've had my '13 aligned several times. Never any problem getting it to spec.
I would agree if you don't have active cruise control (ACC) on your car.

If you have ACC, you have to be very careful. The dealer mentioned to me, that if the back wheels need to be adjusted, then you will need to get the ACC radars re-calibrated, otherwise it will be out of alignment. Recalibrating the radars is very expensive. Luckily the back wheels did not need adjusting, and they got the alignment perfect.

Your local wheel alignment place will either not know this, pretend they don't know (as they will miss out on business), or will not ask if you have ACC altogether (play ignorant). If you tell them that you have ACC on your car, they should say that they can't do the wheel alignment, as I don't know any wheel alignment place that has the radar calibration unit, and to take it to your dealer to get the wheel alignment done.

I believe the VW dealers use Hunter wheel alignment machines. These machines plug into your OBD2 diagnostic port during the wheel alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts