Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The harsh Canadian winters have taken a toll on my T3 rotors - Nothing that would effect braking performance, just purely cosmetic. Any suggestions on how best to clean them up and keep them looking more pretty? Some basic cleaning attempts did little to provide any improvement.

Thanks,
Calibre

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mine look the same. I was thinking of clearcoating them or something similar. Looks like ass with nice dark rims mounted up.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Any suggestions on how best to clean them up and keep them looking more pretty? Some basic cleaning attempts did little to provide any improvement.
You can use an "iron/fallout remover" to get rid of the already existing rust, but it will return in no time. Especially if the rust has already pitted the surface. Next time get coated rotors that have their surface treated with an anti-corrosion stuff that will prevent the build up of rust on parts that are not in direct contact with other moving parts of the car.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You can use an "iron/fallout remover" to get rid of the already existing rust, but it will return in no time. Especially if the rust has already pitted the surface. Next time get coated rotors that have their surface treated with an anti-corrosion stuff that will prevent the build up of rust on parts that are not in direct contact with other moving parts of the car.
With the crap they spray on our roads in NA, no coating will save them...... our vehicles barely last 5-6 years around here before they start to rot..... if you're in the snow belt where they spray the liquid deicer on the roads..... that crap eats everything.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hmm do you often feel concerned with the wheels off and the appearance of the discs? Try putting the wheels back on and try looking at the wheels themselves. I might think a little better.

I cant imagine the brakes would need to be in as new condition all their life. Maybe try ceramics or is the affect the cause of salt. If so not going to get away from that easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine look the same and now that the weather is improving, although we're supposed to get snow over the weekend, I would like to get rid of the surface rust on the rotor cap. I was thinking of brushing it off, finish sanding / steel wool to make it smooth, then paint with a matte silver paint to minimize further rusting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts