Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
265k miles on 04 V10. 220K miles happened in 3years of previous owner. He has no record of ever changing the fluid while he owned it.

My question, is should or should I not change the filter and fluid. I know it is lifetime fluid but what was their expected lifetime?

It does shift rather normally, but every once in a while it feels a little strange. Specially after being pushed hard, or towing. Almost like it hunts a gear or hesitates. Nothing to worry about or cause concern, in fact I doubt anyone else would notice.

Just want to be preemptive, I am realistic about the lifespan of the vehicle and know it's a gamble.

Thoughts comments opinons snarky remarks?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would say no to a fluid change. Too many miles. New fluid will act as a potent cleaner, dislodging gunk and crud and potential create more problems.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
It is a gamble at this stage. If the factory fill was non synthetic oil, the answer would be 100% no.

But 220k miles in the last 3 years makes me think that it was interstate miles, which is a lot different the if those miles were in town stop and go driving. Lots of miles, but little gear shifting... hmmm....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
how long do you intend to keep it?

If you plan on keeping it for a while still, then drain the pan, fill with fresh fluid, drive 1000km and then DROP the pan to change fluid again with filter change as well.

If you plan on getting rid of it soon then rather just let it be.

Have you at least checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My vote is drain, drop pan, and filter (no flush on these). You might consider the above (to get all fluid out, plus any extra gunk). If the fluid wasn't so blasted expensive...

I had mine done at 80k (2008 VEight). Dealer was a little hesitant to do the change, but eventually said yes. Afterwards they said it looked brand new and that there was no material debris (and it was never changed before). On my 2007 I am waiting for 100k, because it was sort of a waste on my 2008.

My point is it might not be as bad as you think, but I would drain, drop pan, and filter with how many miles as you have.

Diffs? Transfer case? Might as well do them too...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Lifetime as far as VW is concerned is 7 years or 70K.

Change the ATF and the diff oils and get the right 850ml bottle of transfer box oil from your VW dealer to change that too.

If you don't know when the brake fluid was changed, change it.

And do a gearbox reset whilst you're at it. Takes 10 seconds.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
huh 7 years Noob ??? Warranty runs out at 3 yrs so i would have thought that is all they are interested in

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm talking product lifespan when you might reasonably expect parts and service supply for the model you bought from them.

7/70 applies now to most of the world's car makers now the accountants rather than the engineers run them!

[And, yes, I know there's a 100K warranty on the driveline in the US! They're the lucky ones!!]

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Finally, the US gets something no one else does!!

I would service the transmission. The fluid doesn't stay good forever.

I know it's not a DSG transmission, but that trans requires new fluid ever 40K miles. If the fluid was good forever, VW wouldn't spec a fluid change.

"Filled for Life" is a marketing gimmick, IMHO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm talking product lifespan when you might reasonably expect parts and service supply for the model you bought from them. 7/70 applies now to most of the world's car makers now the accountants rather than the engineers run them! [And, yes, I know there's a 100K warranty on the driveline in the US! They're the lucky ones!!]
100k miles? What about year? Please say unlimited? Lol

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts